“Average to good”

Ranked #26 of 38 Hotels in Winston Salem
USA
“Average to good”
Reviewed October 21, 2013

Hotel is worth a look. This is a slightly dated but still very adequate hotel. The decor is about 10 years behind the times but the rooms are spacious, clean, and the hotel has reasonable amenities. Breakfast is fair. Proximity to colleges and down town is excellent. The neighborhood is very safe. The staff was friendly and they did try hard. All in all, for a weekend visit to a college or a business trip it is one you can use with confidence.

Room Tip: Watch out for smoking rooms. Rear upper floor is quiet.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Summerville, South Carolina
Reviewed August 24, 2013

In town to move our son into dorm at Wake Forest. This hotel is in desperate need of renovations. Our room was musty & such high humidity that it literally made me sick - had to go to bed because of the moisture level in our room. After our first shower, the tub was stopped up and it took a very long time to drain. Left room for the day and, upon our return, the tub had been worked on because the tub stopper was left in the tub and it was disgusting to see the mildew/rust on the underside of the stopper and the drainage hole in the tub. When we brought it to the attention of the service desk, we were given another key to the room across the hall and told that we could shower in that one. I would NOT recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Jewels06413

Travelers are raving about these Winston Salem hotels

Reviewed August 5, 2013

I usually do well with booking a hotel on the internet. This hotel is my exception! They lost my reservation. I wish i would have looked at that as a sign and left! Paper thin walls. Stiff, itchy sheets. Shady neighborhood. Seemed dirty. STAY SOMEWHERE ELSE!

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Travelingmama73
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed July 25, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for a college visit to Wake Forest University. The hotel is tired and in need of updating. There is no a/c in the hallways and they smell musty. The first 2 rooms we tried were noisy and smelled musty and disgusting . We were supposed to have a poolside room and we did not get one. The third room we tried had large bugs all over, the door looked like it didn't fit (light coming in from all around) the a/c unit was VERY loud. The pool is a pit. I am warning you DO NOT stay here! There is a Courtyard Marriott right across the street.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank pschultz11
Greenwood, South Carolina
Reviewed July 19, 2013

I've always had pretty good luck booking motels online and they are relatively close to what I expected. BUT NOT THIS TIME! I thought by it being a Clarion motel it would up to par. Not the case at all. As a matter of fact i didn't see Clarion logo or name anywhere else inside the place!

When I got there they had no record of my reservation. Once I gave my confirmation # they found a room. While this was getting done it gave me a chance to ask why it was so miserably hot in the lobby and restaurant area. The A/C was out. Thank goodness the rooms were on a separate unit. But getting to the rooms, in the elevators and the restaurant ....all pretty miserable and smelled....lets just say "less than fresh".

I asked for a pool view room. I got one!! I didn't realize I would have to climb up on a chair to see over a wall that was between my room and the pool. I'm serious and I don't exaggerate. The beds were horrible and the television channels came in and out randomly. The vending machine had only 2 bags of chips...empty of every thing else. We stayed the 1st night because we were too tired to look for anything else.

When we got to the lobby the next morning to let them know we wouldn't be staying for the remainder of our intended stay....I waited 10 minutes for someone to show up at the front desk. (The phone was ringing most of the time.) Finally we went to the restaurant to have breakfast and the waitress found the front desk person for me. She was outside...smoking and texting! I will say the breakfast was delicious and the lady working the dining room was very helpful and service was great! I guess that was the only good thing about this stay.

Needless to say.......it was a thoroughly disappointing stay. I won't be back.

Room Tip: Keep driving if you are looking for quality or value. This one offers neither.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Dizzle864
Austin, Texas
Reviewed June 6, 2013

Great location for Wake Forest activities. Have full breakfast included in rate which is excellent. Rooms are average quality but clean. Only problem we encountered was making sure our reservations were accurate. We had 2 rooms over different numbers of days and that seemed to cause a lot of confusion for the reservation folks.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Bear Creek, North Carolina
Reviewed May 30, 2013

My husband and I reallly enjoyed this Hotel. It was a wonderful getaway. The staff was wonderful. They made our visit there so special, comfortable and inviting. I would love to go back soon. I loved the Day Spa and Salon. The staff was very perfessional. The king room was very clean and nice. The only thing we didn't like was the noisy air condition, but they are up grading their systems. Everything else was grand. I would highly recommend this hotel to others. Oh and the breakfast was awesome. I can't wait to go back!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple