“Keep looking.....”

Winston Salem Hotel & Spa
Ranked #27 of 38 Hotels in Winston Salem
Reviewed July 19, 2013

I've always had pretty good luck booking motels online and they are relatively close to what I expected. BUT NOT THIS TIME! I thought by it being a Clarion motel it would up to par. Not the case at all. As a matter of fact i didn't see Clarion logo or name anywhere else inside the place!

When I got there they had no record of my reservation. Once I gave my confirmation # they found a room. While this was getting done it gave me a chance to ask why it was so miserably hot in the lobby and restaurant area. The A/C was out. Thank goodness the rooms were on a separate unit. But getting to the rooms, in the elevators and the restaurant ....all pretty miserable and smelled....lets just say "less than fresh".

I asked for a pool view room. I got one!! I didn't realize I would have to climb up on a chair to see over a wall that was between my room and the pool. I'm serious and I don't exaggerate. The beds were horrible and the television channels came in and out randomly. The vending machine had only 2 bags of chips...empty of every thing else. We stayed the 1st night because we were too tired to look for anything else.

When we got to the lobby the next morning to let them know we wouldn't be staying for the remainder of our intended stay....I waited 10 minutes for someone to show up at the front desk. (The phone was ringing most of the time.) Finally we went to the restaurant to have breakfast and the waitress found the front desk person for me. She was outside...smoking and texting! I will say the breakfast was delicious and the lady working the dining room was very helpful and service was great! I guess that was the only good thing about this stay.

Needless to say.......it was a thoroughly disappointing stay. I won't be back.

Room Tip: Keep driving if you are looking for quality or value. This one offers neither.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Dizzle864
There are newer reviews for Winston Salem Hotel & Spa

Reviewed June 6, 2013

Great location for Wake Forest activities. Have full breakfast included in rate which is excellent. Rooms are average quality but clean. Only problem we encountered was making sure our reservations were accurate. We had 2 rooms over different numbers of days and that seemed to cause a lot of confusion for the reservation folks.

Reviewed May 30, 2013

My husband and I reallly enjoyed this Hotel. It was a wonderful getaway. The staff was wonderful. They made our visit there so special, comfortable and inviting. I would love to go back soon. I loved the Day Spa and Salon. The staff was very perfessional. The king room was very clean and nice. The only thing we didn't like was the noisy air condition, but they are up grading their systems. Everything else was grand. I would highly recommend this hotel to others. Oh and the breakfast was awesome. I can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 20, 2013

I have stayed here a number of times over the past 4 years while my son was at the University.
The hotel really needs updating.
CONS: We reserved 2 rooms for 3 nights (mandatory 3 nights because of graduation weekend). When my husband checked in they did not have the rooms we requested (2 rooms with 2 doubles). I was bothered since I had made the reservation 1 year earlier. They said they had a room with a King and could put a roll away in the room. After my husband saw the room (a room with a bar and a pull down bed??) he asked for another room and they said they only had a room with 2 double beds which is exactly what we were supposed to get but they said they didn't have. Anyway.... the room had a bag of garbage in it--hmmmm. The bathroom was impossibly small. There was a large dead bug on the floor. The light at the door when you walked in worked sporadically. The carpet and couch were very dated. The fitness facility is an embarrassment.
PROS: The price was good. The front desk personnel are very friendly. There is a free breakfast which included eggs, bacon, biscuits, grits, cereal, danish...Parking is adequate. Very good location for Wake Forest University.

1  Thank 4annmarie
Reviewed May 19, 2013

Ok, first about my rating. I stay all over so when I rate something a five star hotel, it is world class.

Hence, the ratings contained by my fellow reviewers confound logic. I stayed here recently for Wake Forest graduation. We had two rooms both with double beds, but when I asked to bring a cot in since my third son would not sleep in one of the beds with his brothers, I was told they had no cots and it was a fire hazard.

The hotel itself is in state of disrepair and needs upgrading. We stayed in third floor and the hallways stank of an ashtray, all the hotel rooms are non smoking. One of our two rooms reeked of cigs.

Beds are very soft. Bathrooms are small. Eventhough we were away for five hours, housekeeping never came, and then the one hour we were in the room, they knocked and said they would not come back. Front desk service was snooty. There is breakfast included but it was pretty poor.

This hotel is convenient near campus but that's its only redeeming quality.

2  Thank DarienJim
Reviewed May 11, 2013

I enjoyed many weeks with the wonderful staff at the Sundance Clarion hotel.

Their staff and facilities are second to none. Walking distance to downtown, and convenience of all of Winston-Salem's greatest.

Keep this one on your list for value and style.

Keep it up Sundance!

Pat the Happy Traveler

Room Tip: All good rooms but I like the North side toward Wake Forest University and golf course.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed May 7, 2013

I had a conference to attend at Wake Forest and this hotel was booked for me by my company. It is the most outdated hotel I have stayed at in many years. Hallway carpet in bad shape. My room was clean which is always good, but in need of an update in many areas. The fridge in the room froze all the drinks overnight. Took clothes with me so I could work out while I was there but the workout facility was closed. The staff was friendly. Did not go to the Bistro so cannot comment on the food there or the spa. I think that $119.00 a night is extremely high for the quality of this hotel. I would think $79.00 a night would be more accurate.

Room Tip: I would book a room on the first floor if possible. One of the elevators was down and it is a long w...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business