“BJ's Relaxing Retreat”

Winston Salem Hotel & Spa
Ranked #29 of 38 Hotels in Winston Salem
Reviewed May 30, 2013

My husband and I reallly enjoyed this Hotel. It was a wonderful getaway. The staff was wonderful. They made our visit there so special, comfortable and inviting. I would love to go back soon. I loved the Day Spa and Salon. The staff was very perfessional. The king room was very clean and nice. The only thing we didn't like was the noisy air condition, but they are up grading their systems. Everything else was grand. I would highly recommend this hotel to others. Oh and the breakfast was awesome. I can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed May 20, 2013

I have stayed here a number of times over the past 4 years while my son was at the University.
The hotel really needs updating.
CONS: We reserved 2 rooms for 3 nights (mandatory 3 nights because of graduation weekend). When my husband checked in they did not have the rooms we requested (2 rooms with 2 doubles). I was bothered since I had made the reservation 1 year earlier. They said they had a room with a King and could put a roll away in the room. After my husband saw the room (a room with a bar and a pull down bed??) he asked for another room and they said they only had a room with 2 double beds which is exactly what we were supposed to get but they said they didn't have. Anyway.... the room had a bag of garbage in it--hmmmm. The bathroom was impossibly small. There was a large dead bug on the floor. The light at the door when you walked in worked sporadically. The carpet and couch were very dated. The fitness facility is an embarrassment.
PROS: The price was good. The front desk personnel are very friendly. There is a free breakfast which included eggs, bacon, biscuits, grits, cereal, danish...Parking is adequate. Very good location for Wake Forest University.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank 4annmarie
Reviewed May 19, 2013

Ok, first about my rating. I stay all over so when I rate something a five star hotel, it is world class.

Hence, the ratings contained by my fellow reviewers confound logic. I stayed here recently for Wake Forest graduation. We had two rooms both with double beds, but when I asked to bring a cot in since my third son would not sleep in one of the beds with his brothers, I was told they had no cots and it was a fire hazard.

The hotel itself is in state of disrepair and needs upgrading. We stayed in third floor and the hallways stank of an ashtray, all the hotel rooms are non smoking. One of our two rooms reeked of cigs.

Beds are very soft. Bathrooms are small. Eventhough we were away for five hours, housekeeping never came, and then the one hour we were in the room, they knocked and said they would not come back. Front desk service was snooty. There is breakfast included but it was pretty poor.

This hotel is convenient near campus but that's its only redeeming quality.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank DarienJim
Reviewed May 11, 2013

I enjoyed many weeks with the wonderful staff at the Sundance Clarion hotel.

Their staff and facilities are second to none. Walking distance to downtown, and convenience of all of Winston-Salem's greatest.

Keep this one on your list for value and style.

Keep it up Sundance!

Pat the Happy Traveler

Room Tip: All good rooms but I like the North side toward Wake Forest University and golf course.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed May 7, 2013

I had a conference to attend at Wake Forest and this hotel was booked for me by my company. It is the most outdated hotel I have stayed at in many years. Hallway carpet in bad shape. My room was clean which is always good, but in need of an update in many areas. The fridge in the room froze all the drinks overnight. Took clothes with me so I could work out while I was there but the workout facility was closed. The staff was friendly. Did not go to the Bistro so cannot comment on the food there or the spa. I think that $119.00 a night is extremely high for the quality of this hotel. I would think $79.00 a night would be more accurate.

Room Tip: I would book a room on the first floor if possible. One of the elevators was down and it is a long w...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed May 1, 2013

This Clarion Collection Hotel in Winston Salem is one of kind. I will tell you the front desk staff is amazing friendly and always going out of their way for us. My wife loves their spa. It is first rate. She loves to get a massage while I relax at their beautiful pool. I enjoy the made to order omelets and Starbucks coffee which is included in the price of the room. The beds are super comfortable. I would suggest this property to anyone I know! It is a very central location because it is near the mall and Wake Forest Campus. It will always be my room of choice while in Winston Salem.

Room Tip: Ask to be upgraded to their jaccuzzi suite. It is well worth it!
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 22, 2013

There was a mix up in reservations with my elderly father. The mix up was not the fault of the hotel, however they did everything possible and more to help my father and resolved the issue. The customer service he received was above and beyond any I have seen before. I highly recommend the clarion collection hotel sundance plaza in winston salem nc. Their customer service will restore your faith in people!!!

Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family