“Highly disappointed!” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #27 of 37 Hotels in Winston Salem
North Carolina
“Highly disappointed!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2013

We stayed here on February 16 for a wrestling tournament. It took us almost 20-30 minutes to check in. The room appeared to be clean but we found beetle bugs on the curtains, the floor, the bed and the ceiling. When we pulled back the curtain to observe the snow flurries, the window seal was full of either dust or mold that had been there for a while. The elevator broke at 8 pm and we stayed on the fourth floor. The exercise room was under renovation. We had to endure loud guests yelling at their kid to go to bed after 1 am. At 7 am a verbal fight broke out in our hallway. I did not get any rest and will never stay here again. We booked our second night at the Marriott suites down the street. This was an aweful experience!

Room Tip: Book a different hotel.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
4 Thank AlleyahNorthCarolina
FamilyManBahama, Owner at Winston Salem Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
Dear guest:
While we strive to meet and exceed each guests expectation ii is clear that we did not achieve our goal with regard to your stay. For that I am truly sorry. Your feedback is important to me and the entire staff. We listen carefully and take your observations and comments to take corrective action where possible and warranted. In deed during your stay we hosted large youth groups which present challenges to our staff to keep noise levels down as well as the ill or mistreatment of equipment like the elevator, (which was fixed shortly after it was disabled).
While we typically enjoy high scores on cleanliness ratings by our customers and franchise inspectors it is clear that there was an issue in your room. We contract with one of the Nation’s largest Pest Control Companies, Orkin. We called and shared your comment with Orkin as well with all the relevant hotel staff in order to take corrective immediate action.
Thank you again for your feedback. It does matter and it does make a difference, I assure you. While I understand your disappointment I would love to welcome you back in person and highlight the actions we have taken since your last visit. The exercise has been totally redesigned and newly renovated. We expect the completion date to be by mid-March.
919 215-9372

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Winston-Salem, North Carolina, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2013

I am a business professional in Winston Salem. I had the pleasure of my first stay at Sundance this past January 2013. I stayed in a suite and it was just beautiful. When you first walk in you can sense the style and class of the hotel. This is only complimented by the gorgous spa located in the hotel itself as well as a wonderful grill headed up by a top notch Chef Derrick McCorkle....the room was so nice and comfortable and I thoroughly enjoyed my stay here. It is nop notch and I highly recommend this hotel for any Winston Salem stay.

A. Thompson

Room Tip: Suite is the way to go!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
FamilyManBahama, Owner at Winston Salem Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
Dear guest:
Love your feed back. It is greatly appreciated. We work very hard to meet and exceed every guests expectation and it is wonderful to hear that we achieved our goal with you. I will share your comments with all our staff.
Please come back soon and stay with us on your future visits to Winston Salem.
So long,
Boothwyn, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2013

Stopped by to visit my son at Wake and attend the Georgia Tech game. Check-in was lightening quick and my room was perfect as usual. The staff is incredible, especially Edith. First class all the way. It's my home away from home when I visit my son. Perfectly located near campus and the stadiums, not to mention downtown. I look forward to my next visit in May (Graduation). My oh my, how 4 years have gone by this quickly! I think I'll still come back for Homecoming in the years ahead. Thank you to everyone at the Sundance...you are truly a great team. Keep it up!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
FamilyManBahama, Owner at Winston Salem Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, March 1, 2013
Dear guest!
Thank you for staying at our hotel and sharing your experience with us. Thank you for your kind words. We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay here at the Sundance. We strive to meet and exceed every guest expectation and we are happy to know that we met your expectation. We hope to welcome you back to the property in the near future and like to showcase the new and updated areas we have been working on since you stayed with us last. The fitness room and business center will be done within weeks.
Durham, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

Hotel a little dated, however my room was very clean. Beds were comfy.
Price affordable. Food was great. Great Location. Staff was very very friendly!!

I would stay there again, if staying overight. Plenty of parking. Not too far to access the interstate.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank shwanne1
FamilyManBahama, Owner at Winston Salem Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Dear guest!
On behalf of the entire team - thank you for staying at the Sundance hotel and for sharing your experience with us. We read your review with great interest and us it for imroping our service and product.. We strive to meet and exceed every guest expectation. Your comments and feed back helps us find out where we are on track and where we have room to improve.
We are in the middle of our renovation and plan to be done by in the near future, featuring our new Fitness Center as well as hospitality room.
Would love to welcome you back to the property and showcase these new areas as well as featuring our new "heavens at the Sundance Spa and Art room package which we just completed and introduced.
Wheeling, West Virginia, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for three nights an four days. The hotel is an old Holiday Inn. You can tell they have renovated it, but didn't put a lot of money into it. The hotel though is nice. I dealt with front desk, housekeeping, maintenance, and kitchen staff. All of which were very helpful and extremely friendly. I did have an issue where I was locked out of my room for a half hour due to a dead battery, but the staff was very helpful and fast about fixing the issue. The rooms are average. Comfortable bed and nice pillows. They don't put comforters on their beds which I found different, and cold at night. The bathrooms are very small so I hope you are flexible. Wifi is easy to connect to, and responsive. I understand the hotel was busy during my stay, but hot water is hard to come by here. The breakfast is very nice with a lot to choose from. Overall I would recommend this hotel. Just take your shower early and ask housekeeping for extra blankets if you get cold when you sleep.

• Stayed February 2013
review

October 8, 2012

Dear guest!
Thank you for staying at our hotel and sharing your experience with us. All of us read your review with great interest. We strive to meet and exceed every guest expectation. Your comments and feed back helps us find out where we are on track and where we have room to improve.
We are in the middle of our renovation and plan to be done by the spring of next year.
Would love to welcome you back to the property and showcase the areas we have been working on. The excersie room and business center will be done by that time.
Again, thank you for your feedback. Come and experience the new "heavens at the Sundance" Spa and Art room package. We think you will love it.
Stewartsville, New Jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2013

i was there for the weekend of January 18 for a Wake Forest event. The hotel is convenient and centrally located, near food options, gas and Wake Forest facilities. The staff was very friendly and helpful. Check in was easy and painless except that we had difficulty with our room keys. Our room was at the further point from the front desk so we had to return to reset the keys. Still, one key card had to slide in and out fast while the other one as slow as possible. it just made it a pain to get in every time. The room was decorated very nice and in a unique manner. Rooms seem to be theme based decorated. The room was good size, the beds were comfortable. the room and bathroom were both clean. Old style TV was okay but the remote was an issue. First, it was not working. after the on phone instructions to reprogram failed, they sent someone upstairs. he programmed it and it worked for about 10 minutes. i was able to program it again on my own and it worked for a while but then the power button was not working. The air/heat was good and kept the room comfortable. Refrigerator was a plus in the room. The rate included breakfast, which was very nice. A wide variety, including healthy choices and fruit. the staff was helpful and friendly. the pool is outdoors so it was closed during my stay. there is a spa on site but i did not use their services. there is a gym but it was closed due to renovations. the hotel did provide access to the local YMCA while the gym was closed. overall, it was a pleasant stay. the hotel seems to be going through some much needed renovations. it seems to be dated but some things appear to be updated. the elevators are tired and slow. the staff's professional and friendly demeanor as well as its location make the stay worth it but the condition of the hotel is in dire need of updates.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Jim P
Dear guest:
Love your feed back. Thank you for taking your time and sharing your feed back with us. This is very helpful in finding out where we do well and where we can improve.
Hope to welcome you back in the near future.
Atlanta
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2013

We enjoyed our stay here - nice room, clean, bed was comfortable. We really enjoyed the breakfast in the morning. It was more than just continental, a full hot breakfast with Starbucks coffee. That was a nice feature. We attended an event at the Coliseum and simply walked across the street to the the Coliseum which was very nice because they were charging for parking and it was packed when the event was over. We did have some snow/ice and hotel staff was very good putting out ice and clearing areas. Did not visit the spa or the restaurant in the hotel, but looked good. We had one issue with our remote control and staff was very nice trying to get the issue fixed. I would stay here again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
review

October 8, 2012

Dear guest!

Thank you for staying at our hotel and sharing your experience with us. I am reading your review with great interest and share your comments with the staff. We strive to meet and exceed every guest expectation and it looks like we achived our goal with you. Your comments and feed back helps us find out where we are on track and where we have room to improve.