“Pleasant”

Winston Salem Hotel & Spa
Ranked #27 of 38 Hotels in Winston Salem
Reviewed February 29, 2012

Front desk staff- Renee was very courteous and well mannered. Room's clean only wish matresses were a bit firmer.

• Stayed: March 2011
1  Thank CeceID
FamilyManBahama, Owner at Winston Salem Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 20, 2012

Dear Guest:

Thank you very much for taking your time and share your feedback with us. Our goal is ti meet or exceed your expectation and I am glad to hear that we achived our goal.

There are newer reviews for Winston Salem Hotel & Spa

Reviewed February 27, 2012

Another great stay at the Sundance. Arrived a couple of hours early and still checked in with no problem. The room was immaculate as usual. The breakfast was terrific each day as well. The staff couldn't have been more accommodating. They always make us feel at home. Many thanks to Larry, Edith, Merriam, Beatrice, Edith and the whole staff.

Ps. Make sure you buy a newspaper from Greg ('The Pointer')...he's the guy in the middle of the road selling newspapers who 'blesses' everybody speeding by. Take a minute to stop or slow down and help him out.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Rob1313

Reviewed February 14, 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Sundance in Winston-Salem the weekend before Valentine's Day, as a romantic weekend away. We heard about the hotel through a Groupon, and we were looking forward to spending a nice weekend away together. I checked Tripadvisor after making the reservations, and was a little put off by the negative reviews, but we were game and wanted to give it a try.

We are so glad we did! We got the "Heaven" package, which includes a spa treatment (facial or massage or body wrap) and one night's stay. Other niceties of the package include a bottle of champagne on ice when we arrived, and a surprise second bottle in the fridge (no additional charge), as well as chocolates on the bed and a very nice arrangement of (silk, but still nice) rose petals on the bedspread. The package also includes room service breakfast in bed. We arrived two hours before check in due to my bad planning and were still able to check in, with the room in perfect order.

Our spa treatment was the body wrap, which consisted of a mud rub followed by being wrapped up for a half hour. We both immediately fell asleep for the half hour! After the mud, we each had a shower to get the mud off. The showers were private, adjacent to our mud rooms, and very well appointed: rainshower head, two wall nozzles, and a shower massage! We each had a glass of complimentary wine while they set up the mud treatments for us. Our spa staff members were very nice and professional, so much so that we went ahead and booked a manicure for my wife (not included in the package) for later that evening. Tip is not included in the package, so be sure to tip the spa staff, they earn it!

The room was very nice and spacious. There was a standard hotel safe in the closet, as well as iron and ironing board, a wall mounted hair dryer, medium size refrigerator, coffee maker with coffee fixins, and a quality television. Each room has a "theme" or is decorated by a local artist. Ours was a "western film" theme, which meant the decorations on the wall were autographed pictures of singing cowboys of whom we'd not heard, as well as two old reels of film which appear to be from an actual projector. The decor was tasteful and really made the room feel unique without feeling kitschy. The bed was soft and the pillows were fresh and fluffy.

Breakfast in bed via room service was a really nice touch, and we're not talking just a coffee and a bagel, either. We called down for the breakfast and the desk clerk said he'd take care of it. "You want the whole nine yards?" We did. Breakfast included scrambled eggs, hash browns, biscuits, toast, orange AND cranberry juice, bacon, and sausage, not to mention a carafe of fresh coffee.

I did not see nearly the problems other reviewers have had with this hotel. The location is not great, and our view was "the Pizza Hut across the street," but it's downtown Winston Salem and that's kind of what Winston looks like all over. The room smelled fresh and clean, the linens were immaculate, and the heater and hot water worked flawlessly. We did not sample the in-room coffee, but we didn't need to: the only time we wanted coffee it was brought to us by room service. The halls were quiet, even on a Saturday before Valentine's Day, and the maid service respected the "Privacy" sign we hung on the door in the morning. We were able to check in early and we checked out about ten minutes late, with no complaint from the staff. We really enjoyed our stay here and would stay again without hesitation. Demetris, Tabitha, and Pam at the spa made our stay especially enjoyable. My wife and I can be demanding guests (we stormed out of a restaurant for making us wait too long on this same trip), but we were really charmed by the Sundance. It is a renovated hotel, and you can tell it's not a brand new establishment, but that is not in any way to its detriment.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank bzkarasek

Reviewed December 18, 2011

I recently stayed at the Sundance Plaza Hotel because I had a business meeting at Wake Forest University. I found the Sundance on WFU's website and figured it would be a good place to stay since it was listed as a place to stay and it was close by.

I was wrong about my assumptions. The first issue was that they didn't have my reservation (because they hadn't checked the fax machine) and the desk clerk exclaimed, "I didn't know anyone was checking in tonight." The second issue was that the keycard system was not working so the front desk clerk had to let you in any time you left your room. Third, the room was old, tired, and worst of all, it was dirty.

Because of the key card issue, I didn't go to my room before going to find something to eat. By the time I returned, I was very tired. I got into bed and decided it was cold so I went to turn on the heat and it didn't work. Being too tired to move, I decided to bundle up and deal with it.

The next morning when I check out, I explained that the heat was broken and they apologized. That was it, they just apologized; no room discount, nothing.

The final issue was related to the full-service breakfast. I was invited to eat breakfast in the dining room so I thought I would. I went into the dining room and it was emply. I waited 10 minutes, no one ever entered the room, no wait staff to take my order, no other customers.

I'm not sure how this hotel stays in business. I do know that I will never recommend it and I will never stay there again.

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business
3  Thank meinbmnc
FamilyManBahama, Owner at Winston Salem Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2012

Dear Guest:
First of all – thank you for staying with us and thank you for taking time in writing your review. We love to hear from you, our guest, because it provides us with an opportunity to find out where we have met or exceeded your expectations and where we need to improve. Every review will be shared with the relevant staff including me, the owner and management. Your comments will be used to prepare a corrective action plan. I assure you we all listen carefully. This is the only way to reach our goal of meeting and exceeding your expectations.
For the issues and areas where we failed I am truly sorry and I apologize.
Please call me to when making arrangements for a future trip and I will make it my business to point out the corrective action we have taken.

Reviewed November 28, 2011

Stayed at The Sundance Plaza the first weekend of November over a busy football weekend. Overall, the hotel was nice...clean room, decent hot breakfast, walking distance to the game and friendly staff. Things that could use improvement...the coffee pot in the room was broken and the hot water in the showers. I did not use the spa facilities so I can't comment on that. If you are headed to a Wake Forest football game and unfamiliar with the area, stay here-it's a short walk to the stadium.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank OysterSnob

Reviewed November 16, 2011

I recently stayed at this hotel for a debate tournament. Overall the hotel was alright. One of the biggest problems for me was the lack of hot water. On a morning when it is 28 degrees, I am not a fan of taking an ice cold shower. This got better as the hotel started to empty out, but when in big groups don't expect warm water. The walls are also paper thin. I stayed next to a room with a dog and I could hear it all day and night. This goes for in the hallway and outside as well. Our room was over the pool (on the 3rd floor) and we could distinctly hear every word of peoples conversations who were in the pool area. The fridge in our room was also really loud. We ended up unplugging it because every 30 minutes it would emit a sound for about 5 minutes that sounded like someone was banging on our door. The rooms do look like the pictures, they are newly remodeled and are just fine. Ample space to work, as there are two tables. The conference rooms are decently sized, but the air was a bit sparse at times. The staff was a bit unprofessional. I saw them taking personal phone calls or just talking to each other instead of helping customers, but it wasn't too frequently. They are very nice though when you do engage with them, and are willing to help you with whatever you need. The facility is old and it shows, but they did a good job of remodeling it and trying to keep it appealing to customers.

Room Tip: Rooms that face the parking lot are much quieter, as well as ones on the corners.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Lauren M

Reviewed October 24, 2011

I stayed at this hotel for two and a half weeks during July 2011. I was here to instruct at a training conference which was taking place in the hotel. The hotel overall was very disappointing, and I would not recommend it, especially not for a professional business conference of extended duration. The hotel is convenient to Wake Forest, but not much else. It's not in a terrific neighborhood, and there is very little within walking distance. (However, if you have a car, the parking is free and it's easy to get around with a car.) My room was not horrible, but just felt "old". There were cigarette burn stains on the carpet. I liked the fact that the room had a microwave and fridge. However, the microwave had a dial and a bell, and just for fun I turned it around to see how old it was. The manufacture date was October 1996. (The microwave in my own kitchen is admittedly older than that, but has not been used by hundreds of people!) The room I was originally given was directly across from the ice machine, so I asked for another which was accomodated with no problem. But it turns out I had nothing to worry about, as none of the ice machines in the hotel were working while I was there! The breakfast was pretty average, but the tables in the breakfast room looked like they were stolen from a church bingo hall or a picnic grove. They could have at least put tablecloths on them to make them look a little better; I have never seen tables like this in a hotel breakfast room at even the most modest of budget hotels. The pool was closed for four days for "maintenance" during a heat wave, and we later found out it was because someone had made off with the pool's rescue hook and they had to buy a new one. So four straight days of a closed pool, at a hotel hosting a business conference when every day was over 90 degrees! Not pleasing. I also had a problem with the cleaning service, which was noted by another reviewer- they do not respect the do not disturb sign! When I am staying anywhere for more than a few days, I like to have my room cleaned every other day or so, not everyday. And on the days I know I will have the room cleaned, I leave a tip for the maid. But the first time I left my sign out, the room was cleaned anyway. I reported this to the desk and asked that it not happen again. The next time I put up the sign, I was still in my room when they came knocking anyways. When I told the maid I had the sign up because I did not need service today, she insisted I initial her log that I declined service. After that, I put a handwritten note on the door along with the sign stating "no service today please". That seemed to work, but I have never had this problem in a hotel before! (In fact, at some hotels I've received a voice mail saying "we note that you have your do not disturb sign up, please let us know if you need anything.") And even though I was tipping the maids, I could still see dust spots on the dressers and one day my empty toilet paper was not refilled. That's about the summary of my experience, but even though this is lengthy I think I would be remiss if I did not include a report of what happened to many of my coworkers at the conference, as many of them had serious problems which made my room seem stellar by comparision: Bad smells. Water leaks, both from the ceiling and from the air conditioning units. Bugs. These were reported by many, not just one or two isolated incidents. Given the experiences of myself and my coworkers, I have to admit that I'm surprised at the number of positive reviews on Tripadvisor. Perhaps those who are only at the hotel for a few days to visit Wake Forest will find it ok. But after the experience that I had here, as well as some of the horror stories from my co-workers, I really would not recommend the place. Unfortunately, I forgot to take pictures, although on the surface my room didn't look too bad.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business