“a dump!”

Ranked #11 of 38 Hotels in Winston Salem
NC
“a dump!”
Reviewed October 22, 2009

I have never had such a bad hotel experience. Filthy rooms and bathroom, ugle acting front desk, no bellman, restaurant hostess let me stand for several minutes waiting to be seated and a practically empty restaurant. She looked right at me and turned away! I tried to get the manager to call me, but he never did. Obviously I will NEVER stay or recommend this place to anyone!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
2 Thank robcastle

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
USA
Reviewed October 8, 2009

I travelled to W-S for a college reunion. The Hawthorne offered an exceptional group rate which included their breakfast buffet featuring eggs, bacon and waffles as well as the usual cold fare (yogurts, cereal, breads, etc.) The bartender was great - perfect mix of friendly and professional. This group had stayed at the Embassy Suites for a previous reunion and everyone agreed the Hawthorne was much better value and no less nice. The tradeoff is adding a 10-minute walk to get to town for those without cars, but it is still walkable to downtown attractions.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends
Raleigh, NC
Reviewed August 29, 2009

I have stayed at this hotel many times in the past and have noticed a steady decline with the arrival of a new GM a couple of years ago. Before that everything was handled in a professional manner and each and every member of the staff seemed truly happy to be there. While the hotel is of course older, at that time it was always clean and just a pleasant place to meet for a couple of days. Not the case any longer. My sales manager who used to handle my meetings with nothing but professionalism is no longer there and the people that are in sales now have no idea how to treat a small conference of 50 much less a single business traveler. Front Desk is rude and totally uncaring about any problem and housekeeping attendants are few and far between. I would have to say in the last 2 to 3 years this hotel has become nasty. Moldy bathrooms, rusted fixtures, damp carpet with a horrid smell on some of the floors. The new General Manager seems to have some sort of attitude problem each and everytime I ever saw her in the lobby which wasn't often. Not only did she seem somewhat rude to guests of the hotel but to the staff as well. This hotel needs the previous General Manager back or at least someone like her to get this place back on track. Many of the previous staff are sorely missed. Since the new one arrived this place has been on a downward spiral. Thank God that this was my last year at this hotel. I will not be going back in the future. I'm afraid that the good days for this hotel are over. Next year the Marriott!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
marion, va
Reviewed June 30, 2009

at first glance, this hotel is nice. the front desk area is very nice, and the lady who checked my family in was wonderful. that's about the highlight of my experience. the room was clean. the beds are VERY uncomfortable (i've never slept in a hotel that the beds are so hard, and small). and, we NEVER got clean towels! we asked for them, and were informed that there were none at that time! we literally had to use towels from the pool. the pool is nice - i just don't like the fact that it's in the middle of the hotel - where everyone in every room can watch you. the staff isn't the nicest in the world - checkout time is noon - at 9:30 we had a housekeeping attendant ask us if we were ready to leave yet. and she actually was upset with us because we weren't! we ordered room service - were told it would be ready in 15 minutes - it was more like 30-45 minutes (and what we ordered wasn't very good, nor worth the price). the breakfast is average, at best. one MAJOR pet peeve we had - there were renovations going on downstairs (we were on the second floor) - they started at 7:00 am! i was scared half to death to hear the drilling or sawing - and my daughter was too (she's 17 months old). it's not fun to be awakened that early so unexpectantly. they should have told us about it upon arrival. and, the hotel is VERY noisy at night. it kept my daughter up all night - both nights we were there. my son was scared of all the noise as well. when we go back for my son's next doctor's appointment, we will NOT be staying here.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
South Florida
Reviewed June 22, 2009

We stayed here for 1 night while visiting UNC School of the Arts. It was easy to reach from Business 40. 5 minutes from downtown, 10 to the mall and 10 to Wake Forest. The breakfast was great, easy parking and clean room with microwave and fridge. Good basic room and well worth the price of less than $70.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed May 19, 2009

Rooms are musty....not clean - sprinkler leaked in the bathroom and they never fixed it......
Front Desk staff was not nice.
I also think I got bug bites from bed.....

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank bebmay
Virginia
Reviewed February 10, 2009

I had to go to this area for a business mtg and did not have a lot of money to spend and found this property online...and I must say I was very delighted with this hotel. Every experience was met with professionalism! From the check in to check out....I found that the accomodations were very comfortable, great continental breakfast which was included in the rate....my additional housekeeping needs were met without incident! I utilized the in house restaurant and it was fabulous! I would recommend this hotel to anyone as I am very particular where I lay my head at night! Very clean indeed...and I asked about the restaurant rating and they showed me the 100% rating sign from the health dept!! Wow...I don't see that often! Everything was colorful and pleasing to the eye...I would definently stay here again and would recommend this property to anyone....

• Liked — The way that everyone was so friendly and accomodating
  • Disliked — I did not find anything I did not like
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)