“Stay at Hawthorne” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #12 of 37 Hotels in Winston Salem
Stuart, Virginia
“Stay at Hawthorne”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2012

Check in was normal. When we went to our room we found a workmans cart with buckets of paint on it and caulking guns. This should not happen. The next day we were taken to the Hospital by your shuttle. After my surgery, I called for the shuttle and was told it would be there in a few minutes. After a long wait, we called again and was told the same thing. Still after a longer wait a shuttle (not yours) came. He said he didn't know what was happening to yours as he had heard it called for two or three times. He took us back to Hawthorne Inn. It was not pleasant sitting at the pick up point over an hour just after surgery.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2012

During the time of check in, everything was great. At night, it was a chore for my family and I could not get any sleep. I was patience enough in hopes for the noise and the party to die down or minimize, but that did not happen. Around Saturday morning at 1:00 am, the noise, the running, and the music got progressively worst, then finally at 1:30 am I called the front desk and reported my concerns. The front desk told me others had reported the same incident on the seventh floor and security was going to shut them down. It took around 2:15 am when some postive change occurred, but still noise, running, and yelling. Translation, we didn't have a good night sleep or stay. I mentioned my experence at the check out desk before I left, but I felt I got a " blanket " apology with no sincerity to the statement.
Thank you for reading my communication.

• Stayed May 2012
2 Thank Docdex
Salisbury, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2012

The room was clean and had plenty of light. The room had a refrigerator, microwave, and coffee pot, which we enjoyed using. The room service was prompt and the food was very good. The only problem we had was with the bath tub / shower arrangement. We are old and unsteady on our feet. It was dificult getting in and out of the tub. There were no grab bars. We felt unsafe when using the shower and when getting in and out. The tub was lined with a non-slip covering, which was good, but we needed grab bars also. We don't travel much and did not think to ask about the bath accommodations. I don't know if this property has accommodations for the old or handicapped. Next time we will ask.

Room Tip: If you are hadicapped or old, ask for a room with a bath equipped for your needs.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Raleigh, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2012

Wonderful accommodations and very caring staff. I would recommend The Hawthorne Inn to anyone staying in the Winston area. Don't miss out on their experience!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
san diego
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2012

The Inn was acceptable and not that bad, it is based on very basic furnishings including the Poly filled uncomfortable pillows and hard mattress. The staff was friendly and helpful. Overall you should expect an Okay stay. Just don't look for Luxury I would choose the Marriott instead and the price is almost the same.. Spend an extra 20-40 and you get a better nights sleep.

Room Tip: Expect basic but enjoy the staff and Breakfast...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank meme_1010
Raleigh
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2012

I really enjoyed this property and the location. I attended a conference at the hotel this February and had such a wonderful time, I am suggesting it as the location for another planned conference. They were easily able to accommodate our group of 400+ people. I loved having a refrigerator and microwave in every room (at other hotels, this is often a separate charge) and the room rate was very reasonable. The complimentary breakfast included fresh fruit, which again is not a common feature in many hotels. I highly recommend this venue.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Atiya-in-Raleigh
richmond va
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2012

My son needs special medical help available at Winston Salem Baptist Hospital, we will be coming down at least 8 times in the next year. Our first visit, we stayed at a different hotel and we not impressed. Thank Goodness we found the Hawthorne!! It was clean, the room was nice, the staff was very friendly and helpful, the hot breakfast was delicious, the hotel was secure AND we got a discount because of our affiliation with the hospital.
One of the doctors we needed to see was less than a block away. Although we didn't use it, I understand there is a shuttle to the hospital. An added plus is that it is only a few blocks away from a ton of fun places to eat and shop.
I loved it and plan to return

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business