“Fabulous property!”

Winston-Salem Marriott
Ranked #17 of 38 Hotels in Winston Salem
Reviewed August 23, 2013

I went to Winston-Salem, NC to visit with my boyfriend. Originally, I booked for 2 people, but a friend of mine backed-out last minute; thus, I traveled alone. I felt completely safe staying here solo, so I absolutely recommend the Marriott for: Solos, Couples (definitely), Friends, Business, and even Families! Upon finding the Marriott nestled in the center of town, I had the pleasure of meeting the gentlemen who do the valet parking. Everyone at this hotel went out of their way to be accomodating~ their service is beyond reproach!! I read other reviews & I disagree with the Marriott being "dated"~ my room was gorgeous, immaculately clean, and the a/c worked fine. I was on the 16th floor, so I do not know if that made any difference in the rooms. I was thrilled with the pillowtop, king-bed. It was comfortable had plenty of pillows and a comforter. Everything was very clean and their were no odors in my room like the ones other people mentioned. I ordered room-service; the service was quick and very complete with all condiments & flatware necessary; however, I did request my burger to be "well-done" and, unfortunately, it was far from it. I called down and, honestly, the concierge and the kitchen both offered to correct the issue~ on them, of course. The kitchen chef even called to apologize. Their customer service is outstanding~ in every part of their business! Having driven for 8-hours, I did not think ahead to keep a lot of one-dollar-bills on hand to use for tipping, but as the people were so wonderful~ fives worked too. Now, obviously, you need to remember that Marriott is owned by Ritz-Carlton, so it is not a "value"-type of hotel~ it is a "luxury"-type of hotel; however, you absolutely get what you pay for~ lots of luxury! There is an indoor pool and a fabulous restaurant/bar. If you do not want to leave the property, you really do not need to do so at all. One other thing~ not a complaint~ just an FYI... what has not been listed anywhere is the fact that you must pay for parking, where you do not in a lot of other hotels. The price is $15 per night (plus a tip, should you choose to give one) and it is valet, so you never have to walk very far to go into or out of the hotel. I hope this review helps! I loved my stay and plan to stay here again on my next trip to down to North Carolina!! :)

Room Tip: I was on the 16th floor... I had no problems with odors or faulty air conditioners. It was called a...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AnonymousTS

Reviewed July 11, 2013

We enjoyed our stay immensely. The entire staff was helpful and friendly. Our connecting rooms were spacious and clean! The lobby was beautiful. Loved having the option of Video Check-out!!! Pool was clean and well-stocked with towels. We were there for the N.C. National American Miss Pageant. Thank you Marriott for making our experience an awesome one!!!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank granitegal1977
Reviewed July 11, 2013

Stayed here for business purposes this week. Like others have said, it's a dated hotel that could use a refresh. The room smelled of mildew and I couldn't get the AC to really cool the room down. I hate being hot when I sleep. All that said, the staff was incredibly friendly and went out of their way to make me feel welcome.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank HeatherPA
Reviewed July 7, 2013

We were staying for the NAM pageant my daughter participated. When my son realized that he forgot his tie and went to the bus station to go to Walmart instead of driving he realized he wouldn't make it back in time to escort his sister for formal wear. When he mentioned this to one of the hotel staff they looked to see what they could do and in the end they lent him a tie from the office. We were so grateful since we were in a rush. When we checked out at 1030 and the pageant wasn't over till 8 they told my son he could still use the pool and fitness room. We ordered pizza for dinner and didn't have any plates and the restaurant down stairs lent us plates. Very worth the money for the service we received.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank DeAnn D
Reviewed June 28, 2013

I stood at the Marriott on a business trip at the beginning of June and found the hotel to be very good for the purposes. The staff is friendly, the breakfast is very good and the parking is adequate enough.

I don't know if there is a bad view in the hotel. It is right in the heart of downtown and you can see all of the major buildings and skyscrapers from the windows. While Winston-Salem doesn't boast the biggest downtown in the world you get a very special feel for it from the hotel.

I agree with some of the other reviewers in that the hotel's fixtures are a bit dated. For some reason it really didn't bother me all that much as it reminded me of summer vacations when I was younger with my family then either needing an upgrade or being on a business trip!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed June 21, 2013

My gripes with the hotel probably aren't all that big, but the little things will eventually add up into a rather pedestrian experience, which is not what I expect when I go to a FS Marriott.

The room itself was fine, what you'd expect at any other FS Marriott. The hotel has a dated look to it, could use a refresh. Check-in was quick and easy. Service was pleasant.

So here are the gripes: air conditioner didn't work in my room. I don't use a lot of hotel services, so I put more emphasis on the room. Having an uncomfortable night of sleep due to the lack of air conditioning sucks.

Concierge lounge was closed, which is understandable because it was the weekend. There must have been some kids event going on, because before it was closed, there were kids being herded in and out of the lounge like cattle. Wouldn't surprise me if they closed off access to keep everyone out. When it is closed, I'm used to having the hotel provide breakfast to compensate..didn't get that here.

I still get to pay for parking even though all the other decks are opened up on the weekend..maybe the deck is at a prime location, or something. I understand this may be outside the hotel's control..for those of you visiting, if you want to avoid the parking fee, park a few blocks down.

All those things combined just soured my experience, and I'm sure that if I return to stay here, that the next stay won't be so bad. Nevertheless, I get the idea that I can get the same or better experience at a different property for a better price, so I'll be looking at other properties the next time around.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 19, 2013

We got rooms at the Marriott at an extremely discounted rate by bidding online. I rarely use blind bidding as the hotel usually puts you in the worst possible room! We got two great rooms at the Marriott and had a very nice view of the city and the distant mountains. The employees there could not have been nicer. Every person we encountered was friendly,competent, and helpful. The room was very comfortable and the location in downtown Winston-Salem is great. There are many restaurants within a block or two, nice bars and coffee shops too. It is a lively street scene and a safe downtown neighborhood. Hotel parking is very convenient and the cost is much lower than usual for a downtown hotel.

Room Tip: North side has nice views.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family