“Pleasantly surprised!!”

Winston-Salem Marriott
Ranked #14 of 38 Hotels in Winston Salem
Reviewed May 19, 2008

I booked this hotel since it had a special price for the 3rd annual Winston-Salem Wine Festival. It was a fantastic price for a Marriott, however I was initially concerned because I had not been to downtown W-S and wondered what it would be like. As it turned out W-S is really revitalizing (along with the entire Piedmond/Triad area since the downfall of the textile industry) and the downtown is a pleasant place to be, even at night. It was a great location, just one block up and one block over from the festival.

Upon arrival, I was instantly greeted and treated very first-class. The front desk staff were cheerful, pleasant, and helpful. They said if there was anything that I needed to just let them know.

When I opened the door to my 14th floor room, I was pleasantly surprised by how plush the room was decorated in golds and reds and feather/down comforters -- very regal/royal-looking! The room was comfortable and I heard little noise from the street below. The sunset over Pilot Mountain was serene. My room had a place in the cabinet for a mini-fridge but there was no fridge for my cooler of drinks. Since it was only a one-night stay, I did not even ask about it and made do without it.

My room was controlled by a thermostat, which automatically turned on the heat or AC depending on what temp. it was set to relative to the temp. of the room. The heat/AC came on/off just like the furnace at home (unlike some hotels wherein the heat/AC unit continually blows air the whole time drying out the room and your sinuses). So, I slept very comfortably here.

The staff were a little lacking in knowledge about restaurants/bars/clubs in the immediate vicinity, but were more than willing to look them up to check the dress code, entertainment for the evening, specials, etc.

Immediately across the street is the self-parking garage ($6 per day, payable by cash or credit card), which is also the location for the Downtown Police Bike Patrol station. Several bike patrols were seen at night and, as a single woman, I felt very comfortable downtown. I asked several policemen about their views of downtown and they all said it was much better downtown at night that at the mall.

I am already planning to attend the same event and stay at this same hotel next year!

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled solo
1  Thank CUTripping
There are newer reviews for Winston-Salem Marriott

Reviewed March 16, 2008

This hotel was just wonderful. The entire experience from check in to check out was great. The hotel is very pretty, but the best thing about it is the staff. Every employee was helpful, and seemed happy to help with whatever we needed. The room was very clean, but beds were so comfortable and the bathroom was roomy and clean, clean, clean. We ate two meals there. Dinner was the best food I've ever had in a hotel restaurant, and we were a party of about 16, and didn't come to the restaurant until 9:30 PM and the staff was helpful and happy to serve us. We also ate breakfast there, and they had a wonderful buffet (it was on a Sunday morning) but you could also order from a menu. We used valet parking ($12) just because we had a lot of "stuff" and I didn't want to haul it all across the street, but there is a parking garage right across the street and it is $6 a day. The staff was also happy to give us good, clear directions to where we needed to go. We travel alot on weekends to dance competitions, and this was the best hotel we have been to in a long time. I would highly recommend this hotel to everyone - we hated to leave.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed February 13, 2008

This is a full service Marriott in downtown Winston Salem. Parking is not a lot of fun so use the valet ($12). The hotel is like any other corporate property with the standard business fare. The continental breakfast is a sad affair - order room service which is fast, reasonably priced and delivered hot. The rooms are slightly larger than standard and comfortable. The bathrooms are very basic. All in all it is a dependable hotel. I would say that the highest and best use is for parents visiting Wake Forest.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank sbccc
Reviewed January 19, 2008

Very nice property, excellent staff. Confusion about parking and parking fees. Big push by staff to use valet parking instead of self parking.

• Stayed: December 2007
Reviewed December 11, 2007

We have stayed in this hotel a couple of times and it seems to be improving. Rooms are updated and clean and very comfortable, staff is friendly and helpful. Convenient location downtown. I notice that other reviews mentioned issues with the temperature conrtrol and very hot hallways - that was not a problem for us perhaps since the weather was cool.

Stayed: December 2007
2  Thank mudslide
Reviewed November 3, 2007

The room was okay. The air conditioner could not keep the room cool even though it was late in October. Housekeeping did not come to clean the room until I was getting ready for dinner each of the three nights I was there. The hallways were terribly hot and the staff was unprofessional. The hotel restaraunt and bar and possibly the worst I have ever been to. The service was as slow as possible, the waiters were tacky and the drinks at the bar were served by the rudest bartenders ever. Do not waste your time or money staying here.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled on business
1  Thank debbobo
Reviewed October 30, 2007

Was here for a conference. At first glance the hotel seems fine. Typical 3 star Marriott. Overall the room was fine but its the details where this hotel doesn't quite stand up to the rest.

After waiting (and waiting and waiting) for the elevators, one of which was too shaky for my taste, I got off on the 12th floor to - ohmygoodness it is HOT. Easily over 80 degrees in the hallways the entire time I was there.

The room was fine but I was given a connecting room - as a woman traveling alone I hate that. A call to the front desk and I was told the only rooms open were connecting ones, so I stayed put.

One of the two phones did not work at all. One of the two closet doors was off the track and almost fell and hit me when I tried to open the door. The real treat was pulling the sheets back to find them covered in black marks - looked like tire tracks over about a 3 foot section of sheet - how did you not see this when you made the bed???

The connecting room proved to be a real issue when the women next door to me rolled in at 1:30 AM and chatted, laughed and whatever til 3 AM. A firm pounding on the door shut them up but you could hear TV, any talking, anything through that connecting door anytime someone was in the room.

Overall the people working in the hotel were very nice but they were drastically understaffed in the middle of the day - had to wait forever for help at the front desk. While the staff was nice, to be close to the conference center and probably frequently full of business travelers you would expect the staff to have more of a sense of urgency - nothing was done fast - just as they got to it.

Average hotel. Reasonably clean place to stay (just check the sheets) but don't expect anything more than average.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled on business