I booked this hotel since it had a special price for the 3rd annual Winston-Salem Wine Festival. It was a fantastic price for a Marriott, however I was initially concerned because I had not been to downtown W-S and wondered what it would be like. As it turned out W-S is really revitalizing (along with the entire Piedmond/Triad area since the downfall of the textile industry) and the downtown is a pleasant place to be, even at night. It was a great location, just one block up and one block over from the festival.
Upon arrival, I was instantly greeted and treated very first-class. The front desk staff were cheerful, pleasant, and helpful. They said if there was anything that I needed to just let them know.
When I opened the door to my 14th floor room, I was pleasantly surprised by how plush the room was decorated in golds and reds and feather/down comforters -- very regal/royal-looking! The room was comfortable and I heard little noise from the street below. The sunset over Pilot Mountain was serene. My room had a place in the cabinet for a mini-fridge but there was no fridge for my cooler of drinks. Since it was only a one-night stay, I did not even ask about it and made do without it.
My room was controlled by a thermostat, which automatically turned on the heat or AC depending on what temp. it was set to relative to the temp. of the room. The heat/AC came on/off just like the furnace at home (unlike some hotels wherein the heat/AC unit continually blows air the whole time drying out the room and your sinuses). So, I slept very comfortably here.
The staff were a little lacking in knowledge about restaurants/bars/clubs in the immediate vicinity, but were more than willing to look them up to check the dress code, entertainment for the evening, specials, etc.
Immediately across the street is the self-parking garage ($6 per day, payable by cash or credit card), which is also the location for the Downtown Police Bike Patrol station. Several bike patrols were seen at night and, as a single woman, I felt very comfortable downtown. I asked several policemen about their views of downtown and they all said it was much better downtown at night that at the mall.
I am already planning to attend the same event and stay at this same hotel next year!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Winston-Salem, NC's only full service Marriott Hotel. Conveniently located downtown in the Twin City Quarter. Amenities include 14,000 square feet of flexible meeting space, our signature restaurant, Graze, concierge levels, room service, valet parking, business center, fitness center, glass enclosed indoor pool, in-house audio visual services department and more! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Orbitz, Expedia, Priceline, Hotels.com, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Hotwire and getaroom.com so you can book your Winston-Salem Marriott reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Marriott Winston-Salem Hotel Winston Salem
- Marriott Hotel Winston Salem
- Winston Salem Marriott