“Very good overall but a surprisingly uneven experience”

Winston-Salem Marriott
Ranked #15 of 37 Hotels in Winston Salem
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Very good overall but a surprisingly uneven experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2013

A Marriott should be first class all around] and most of this hotel is just that, but there are some exceptions. Given that I was there for a performance competition at the Convention Center across the street and had a room on the 17th concierge floor, this should have been top notch all around. The room was delightful with the standard comfortable bed and the furniture pleasant. The décor is pleasing and the view was quite nice, The elevators did a good job, moving quickly despite the mobs of competitors queuing up at one time.

Why was it not consistent? The water temperature in the shower was hard to adjust. The refrigerator was not cold and water from the thawed ice cubes spilled out when I checked it. The receptionist when I checked out knew nothing about the parking arrangements and sent me outside to ask a valet, who gave me the wrong information. When I went back to ask a second time, a new receptionist was surprised what I'd been told--i.e., take my car out and have the valet repark it while I ate at the restaurant after checking out--so he gave me a new parking card and removed all parking charges to compensate. Finally, the brunch in the restaurant was ok, but the first server gave us the wrong menu and then the service was very slow though only 3 tables were filled in the restaurant. (Not the hotel's fault, probably, but an alarm sounded at 6 am and we never learned what the problem was, though we were not told to evacuate.)

This unevenness detracted from an otherwise very pleasant stay and may have been caused by the heavy booking for the competition, but still...this is the Marriott.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Hopewell, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2013

Had a very pleasant stay at the WS Marriott. The staff was very friendly and accommodating. The rooms were clean, but the bed skirts could use a wash...they were a bit dusty. There is free wi-fi, the but the connection is quite slow. We will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
everywhere
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2013

First room we entered, the bathtub was running, and we were worried someone was already in there! Lucky for us, nobody was. However, the fridge was left open, and was at room temperature, and didn't regain cold temperature even after I closed it. The water pressure came and went, the water turned off on us, and the heated water was temperamental.

The front desk was very courteous through everything, and sent their engineer to work immediately, each time we had problems with the water. The only problem is that after awhile, even what he/she could do wasn't working anymore.

Was given attitude by the housekeeper for borrowing her vacuum to clean up a mess (rather than leave it for her), even after the manager had given us permission. Room service forgot about us for about an hour, but as soon as we called back down to the front desk, everything was brought up to us promptly.

On our second day, we were switched to a different room several floors up. SO MUCH BETTER! The room was spotless. The bathroom was pristine. The fridge and the water worked perfectly.

Parking deck is unpleasant, but manageable with care, for lowered vehicles

Room Tip: Avoid room 416 for a while. Give them time to fix the plumbing.
Los Angeles
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2013

Checking in was fast and efficient. Although my room was just outside the elevator area it was very quiet! I had an issue in my room that was corrected quickly with no problems. They were very thoughtful in making it happen right away. The valet was quick and my car was always waiting. The room was clean and typical Marriott. Concierge lounge was nice - not a lot of "warm welcome" from whomever was working evenings. I seemed to have missed them by 8pm every night.

Have to agree with the frustrating elevators --- and I wasn't all that impressed with the restaurant. People were quite lovely and the area around was convenient. I was able to take morning walks with no worries and plenty to keep me entertained :)

Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2013

I checked in on a Thursday to stay overnight for a business trip. It was a very nice stay. The valet's were great with my car and bags. The check-in was friendly, professional and smooth. They even found a room for me to check in early even though they had been fully booked the night before. The hotel exceeded my expectations for a downtown Marriott in this city.

The room was the size I expected with all the needed amenities for a business traveler. Clean and comfortable. I did not eat at the restaurant or go to the bar but they were beautifully decorated. The hotel is in a great location next to places to eat and good nightlife.

I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the Fifth Street.
1 Thank CAFriend1975
Watertown, Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2013

That is the title of this review and something that made each morning there a challenge. If you need to leave your room for a meeting - add 15 minutes. I literally waited for over 7 minutes - even after calling the front desk.

Not sure what the problem is, but the hotel needs to fix this asap. At one point there were 7 of us waiting on the 14th floor - very rarely do I ever run into 7 people at any hotel!

Lobby is nice, and the lobby bar had some decent drinks and good service.

Rooms are pretty spacious and have good views since the building is pretty tall in comparison to the surrounding buildings. Note the picture of the chair in my room - Marriott, you should be replacing something like that, it just can't be out in the open.

Front desk staff was helpful, but I had to ask for a package that was shipped to me - no one called and let me know it was waiting.

If I was passing through I'd stay again, but would change rooms and ask for a lower floor if the elevators/furniture is in disrepair.

Room Tip: Low floors if elevator isn't working.
1 Thank SMR_2
Rockville, MD
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2013

I rarely give 5 stars to a hotel, but I was completely satisfied with our 2-night stay at this hotel--surprising because I had never been to Winston-Salem and did not expect such high quality in a hotel there (an unfair preconception, I know). The location is walking distance to several downtown restaurants, shopping, and cultural venues, and it's easy to drive to places that are farther out. The hotel's parking garage across the street allows in-and-out privileges if you get a pass at the front desk when you check in.
We had a king room on the 16th floor--it was very large, clean, quiet, comfortable, and with a great view. The lobby was large and attractive and smelled really nice, though I couldn't pinpoint the scent. Service was excellent from all staff members that we encountered. We did not eat at the hotel restaurant so I can't comment on that.
Overall, I would highly recommend this hotel and will return there if we ever have a reason to return to Winston-Salem.

Room Tip: Higher floors have good views.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple