“Terrific hotel in an unexpected place”

Winston-Salem Marriott
Ranked #14 of 38 Hotels in Winston Salem
Reviewed March 6, 2013

I rarely give 5 stars to a hotel, but I was completely satisfied with our 2-night stay at this hotel--surprising because I had never been to Winston-Salem and did not expect such high quality in a hotel there (an unfair preconception, I know). The location is walking distance to several downtown restaurants, shopping, and cultural venues, and it's easy to drive to places that are farther out. The hotel's parking garage across the street allows in-and-out privileges if you get a pass at the front desk when you check in.
We had a king room on the 16th floor--it was very large, clean, quiet, comfortable, and with a great view. The lobby was large and attractive and smelled really nice, though I couldn't pinpoint the scent. Service was excellent from all staff members that we encountered. We did not eat at the hotel restaurant so I can't comment on that.
Overall, I would highly recommend this hotel and will return there if we ever have a reason to return to Winston-Salem.

Room Tip: Higher floors have good views.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank freedshop
There are newer reviews for Winston-Salem Marriott

Reviewed February 27, 2013

The first thing I noticed when I walked into this Marriott was how clean it smelled. It might seem odd to note the smell - but whatever it was, it was very pleasant and inviting. My check in was easy and the person who checked me in was very professional.

My room was very clean and I have no comments on that (which is odd for me). I am very picky about cleanliness and this Marriott met the mark. No stray hairs. Towels were clean and bright (and stainless) and they had lovely soaps and lotions (Bath and Bodyworks Orange Ginger). The sheets were clean and floors were clean. My only complaint about the room is that I don't think my thermostat worked. It was a little chillier than I preferred, but it was fine. Next time, I will make sure to test the thermostat to make sure it works before I settle in.

They had a spacious business center that turned out to be very useful. It was easy to log on to the computers in the business center and easy to print what I needed. There is a great little store with reasonably priced drinks and snacks - very convenient and it was open late.

Overall, the staff was very nice and they responded quickly to my requests. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Malie
Reviewed February 25, 2013

We attended a wedding at the Millennium Center which is walking distance away from this fine Hotel. We had three meals at the hotel -- two breakfasts and one Rehearsal Dinner. Particularly noteworthy was the outstanding service and attention to detail exhibited by the hotel's staff. The room was clean, comfortable and larger than many. The heating system ran flawlessly, there were plenty of electrical outlets, and the bed was very comfortable. We saw several or our family members enjoying the Indoor pool. Nice.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed January 29, 2013

I recently had two visits to the Winston Salem Marriott. It is a great place to stay for business.

The large bar area is good for business meetings. However, the food is limited with unusual combinations. The room service menu is much larger.

The rooms are pretty nice with the exception of the plastic shower curtains that need to be replaced with the cloth ones used at other Marriotts.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed January 25, 2013

I was here for a business meeting...The room was quite clean and the bed was pretty comfortable! The staff was friendly and it seemed that they tried to respond positively to all requests. The attached restaurant (WS/Prime) was terrible, but there are plenty of fun restaurants in the surrounding area, so that wasn't a big thing. The room was fairly large, and the view out the expansive windows was great (I was on the 14th floor).
I would recommend this Marriott to others, and would definitely stay again if I was in Winston-Salem.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed December 17, 2012

This used to be a terrible Adams Mark hotel. Now it is the Marriott Winston Salem...Stayed there over the weekend while attending a wedding. From the moment we pulled up for valet parking til we received our car back two days later at checkout it was excellent. The entire staff was friendly and very accommodating the rooms were clean and spacious and very nice. The value was excellent. Even when I went to the restaurant to get my wife a piece of toast early Sunday morning they prepared it and said it was on the house...and welcomed me back later for breakfast. Even though we live in the area we may go back just to enjoy the service again.

Room Tip: North View look toward Pilot Mountain and other foothills scenery. South view looks toward Old Sale...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 9, 2012

I stayed here only for one night on a quick business trip. I arrived late and the lady at the front desk was very welcoming. I did not have time to eat the complimentary breakfast in the morning due to an early meeting, but the rooms were average plus. I stayed on the 7th floor and there was no noise.
I don't typically stay in Marriot's, but this was an average hotel in a pretty good downtown location.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business