“Nice Stay, Friendly Staff” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Winston-Salem Marriott

Winston-Salem Marriott
Ranked #15 of 37 Hotels in Winston Salem
Traveling
“Nice Stay, Friendly Staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2012

Was here for a convention. I have to say that the staff were all exceedingly friendly and pleasant--from the valet to room service to the front desk. My room was clean and I did get to meet the housekeeper for my room and she was really pleasant as well. This was overall one of the nicest staffs I've met a hotel, especially during a convention which always makes your stay a better one.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Jen P, General Manager at Winston-Salem Marriott, responded to this review, September 27, 2012
Our Winston Salem Marriott is a great hotel for conventions, attached to the convention center; you never have to go outside to get to your meetings unless you want to. We will celebrate with the team the nice compliments about the staff. Hope to see you next time.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2012

I stayed at the Marriott for just one night. The bar and food at the bar were fair, but the bar was quite nice. I believe I would have rated this property higher, but the fire alarm at 5:30am did not contribute to a good night's sleep! The front desk personnel were good and polite, as was the concierge. The location is great if you have business in downtown W-S, though the restaurant selection in the area was a bit limited. However, the city is looking to improve things and has made some great strides.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
We are glad you enjoyed our Winston Salem Marriott's southern hospitality. It’s something we pride ourselves on and what we are known for. We are sorry the alarm woke you up as that is never a pleasant experience, although I am glad the safety feature is there for your protection. We do hope you come and try us again in the future.
Charleston, West Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2012

When our beach condo rental agent told us we had to leave our vacation THREE days early due to a hurriane I was heartbroken. I refused to let vacation end so early and I found the Marriott Winston-Salem which was far enough inland that the hurricane would miss us. The hotel is beautiful and located only a few blocks from tons of restaurants, a gym, theatrea and much more. Our hotel room had an issue with the cable not working and the staff immediately moved us to a new room, gave us free breakfast for in the morning and a free $20 movie rental. I love good service! I highly suggest stopping in at the Marriott in Winston-Salem next time you're heading through NC.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Although leaving the beach early is never fun, we are glad you enjoy our city and the Winston Salem Marriott. Our Marriott is at the heart of the city's arts district. We hope to see you next year if you get to visit us again when you are passing through.
Loganville, Georgia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2012

No hot water. Called front desk and Maintenance came and told me to do the following in the morning:

1. Turn on the sink
2. Turn on the shower
3. Flush the toilet
Let these all run 15-20 minutes and the water should be hot enough for a shower.

Place is a joke.

Room Tip: Stay at Embassy Suites across the street
2 Thank celeeper
Jen P, General Manager at Winston-Salem Marriott, responded to this review, September 18, 2012
Our Winston Salem Marriott prides itself in its great attention to detail and we failed for your visit. We are truly sorry for all the issues you had during your stay. I agree, it’s not acceptable and not at all what you should expect from a Marriott. We did identify a problem with our water system and are in the process of fixing it. These types of problems are not common and I do hope you give us another try. Please call me as I would love to make this up to you some way. My number is 336-345-9779.
Jen
va
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2012

Having stayed closer to Wake Forest in past, this was a last minute reservation to move our son once again back to campus.. Although on a map it is farther away than some other hotels, the location in the heart of Winston-Salem makes it perfect! There are many restaurants within walking distance (something the hotels close to Wake lack), and the valet service made parking a breeze. Although the hotel lobby and hallways were rather arctic and it took sometime to get the room temp up to a comfortable level, it was unusually cool this week-end. Our room was in lovely condition, we had a spectacular view of the city and we will be back!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Jen P, General Manager at Winston-Salem Marriott, responded to this review, September 13, 2012
Our Winston Salem Marriott IS at the center of it all and we are glad you enjoyed your time here. My favorite is the arts district out the back door on Trade Street. Downtown Winston Salem does have a great culinary arts district on 4th. We do hope to see you again soon.
New York City, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2012

This is one of my worst hotel experiences for an "upscale" hotel. Humid, musty rooms, uncaring front desk and concierge lounge attendants and worst of all, horribly slow elevators. I waited 20 minutes tonight, in a line tonight to get on an elevator to get to my floor. Just the worst!

Next time I'll stay at the Holiday Inn Express.

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
2 Thank tm752
Jen P, General Manager at Winston-Salem Marriott, responded to this review, September 10, 2012
Our Winston Salem Marriott is known for our attention to detail and our hospitality. Your comments are very surprising as we do not normally hear such complaints. Certainly I agree it is not acceptable and we are so sorry you had such a bad stay. I would love to make it up to you if I can or get more details so we can continue to improve. Please call me at 336-345-9779 if you are able.
Warm Regards,
Jen
North Caroline
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2012

We were here with the family for a tennis event and we loved the location of the hotel. It was close to everything we needed including Haynes Park and even the Winston Salem Open. The hotel it self is a typical Marriott so it's clear and well kept. The staff is professional and helpful as usual.

Some other info:

My room thermostat (I believe) had some type of motion sensor or something that was triggered if the room was occupied. So I think it shut down the air condition when you are not in the room. Well that is quiet annoying on a summer day to walk into your room where you have set the temperature to a comfortable setting and it's really warm and musty. I wish they would not do that. The HVAC system is quiet loud as well so if you are a light sleeper it might be disruptive.

Parking is not free and we used the valet service. I think that is the most effective given the downtown location. I don't think I would really like to park it myself.

Overall I would say this was a good stay and I would recommend it to others.

Room Tip: I think the higher the better. You get an awesome view of the city. We were on the 18th floor.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Jen P, General Manager at Winston-Salem Marriott, responded to this review, August 30, 2012
Our Winston-Salem Marriott was proud to host the Tennis Tournament this year and we are glad to hear you enjoyed yourself. Thank you for the feedback about the HVAC thermostats. I see how that energy saving feature does not work for hot days. We certainly will adjust. Hope to see you again, maybe for next year’s tournament.