“Give It A Shot!”

Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed September 10, 2008

My wife and I thought we'd try something new for our Saturday afternoon lunch, so we settled for Hutch & Harris. We opted to dine outside, as it was an uncharacteristically cool day for August.

Beside each menu item, the location that lays claim to being the "home" of the particular item is noted (i.e. 'Candy Store Burger' Newport, RI; 'Watermen Crab Cake' Chesapeake Bay, MD; etc.). The menu featured dishes from the world over and it was a pretty extensive selection, all of which sounded unique if not tasty. After a bit of indecision, here's what we settled on:

PIMENTO CHEESE PIZZA (Appetizer). All I can say is an emphatic "WOW"! Not to spoil the rest of the review, but this was the highlight of the meal, hands down. The menu described it as "Homemade pimento cheese, served ‘Pizza Style.’ On a thin crust with sliced hardboiled egg ‘pepperonis’ and freshly ground black pepper", and it did not disappoint. The portion was generous, and could have easily been a main course for one person.

CANDY STORE BURGER. "An 8oz fresh ground Angus beef patty char grilled & topped with apple wood bacon, smothered with Gorgonzola cheese, on grilled ciabatta." The Candy Store burger may not be for everyone; gorgonzola is a fairly strong cheese, and my wife thought it was a little much, but if you're a cheese freak like me, then throw this burger into the mix. The kitchen cooked it a little more done than I had asked, which made the burger a little dry; so if you like a burger that's medium-well or higher, be sure to get a side of mayo to compensate.

THE GREEK BEAST. Thinly sliced slow roasted beef served cold on toasted pita with sun-dried tomato gorgonzola cheese spread, grilled onion, and bacon. My wife went for the Greek Beast and thought that it was average. She didn't think there was anything about the sandwich that really separated it from a pita or deli sandwich that you can get anywhere else.

While the meal was pretty good overall, the service was below par. It took way too long to get a glass of water, and an Oyster Shooter that I ordered never showed up, not to speak of a side of mayo and ketchup that we finally had to track down for ourselves. Normally, you can chalk this glossing over up to either a short-handed staff or a bustling restaurant scene, but neither excuse works here. My wife went inside to try and find our server, and the place was empty (not a reflection of H&H, as this was a late afternoon lunch). There were no more than a half dozen diners (all seated outside) at H&H when we were there, so staffing shouldn't have been the problem.

Hutch & Harris is a relatively new eatery that deserves the benefit of the doubt. Yes, there's a little room for improvement, but overall I would recommend that you at least try it and decide for yourself. There's absolutely nothing here that should deter you from giving it a shot!

2  Thank rdwright

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Florence, Italy
Reviewed August 23, 2008

Overrated. Small. Smokey. Not great food.

1  Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed July 17, 2008

My wife and I recently tried this restaurant for the first time. Overall, I was very impressed. The decor is nice, and the place has a relaxed atmosphere. They offer a free appetizer in the (rather small) bar area, and our server encouraged us to partake even though we were seated at a table. So we relaxed with a nice microbrew (which was on special, so the price was nice) and munched on the tasty bar food while perusing the interesting menu options. We started with the crab dip appetizer. It was very creamy and tasty, and served with a wonderful loaf of bread and pita chips. One quibble--it seemed the cheese/crab ratio was out of balance. I would have liked to have more crab chunks in the dip, especially given the price ($10.95). But it was still good.

The side salads that came with our meal were tasty--a nice mix of greens with onion, tomatoes, cucumbers, and the dressings tasted homemade (not sure if they actually were as I didn't ask). My wife ordered the seared yellowfin tuna, and it was excellent-- perfectly cooked with a nice blackening of the sesame seed coating to bring out the flavor. The wasabi mashed potatoes served along with it were very tasty, with just the right amount of wasabi to give a nice brightness, yet subtle enough that it didn't overpower the potato flavor. I ordered the rinderrouladen, a German-style rolled flank steak in a brown sauce. I was very pleased--the meat was tender and very flavorful. It came with some perfectly-cooked vegetables (zucchini, onions & carrots), and a side of small potato dumplings that were rich and creamy. Both of our entree portions were very generous, and the flavors were spot on.

Although I was nearly stuffed, I had to try the homemade strawberry ice cream that was on special. I was disappointed. While the flavor was very good, the texture was grainy and not at all creamy, like an old box of ice cream that has been slightly melted and refrozen. Maybe that's why it was on special? To their credit, I have heard from others that the regular dessert offerings are excellent, so I plan to check them out next time.

I have to add that the service was impeccable. Our waitress was very attentive and knowledgable without being overbearing, and we noticed several other people (I assume one was the manager) frequently walking about checking on tables to be sure all was okay.

Despite the minor disappointments described above, I was very pleased overall. I should also mention that they have outdoor, streetside tables, although that day it was a little too warm for us to sit outside. We will definitely return!

4  Thank arbyunc
Reviewed June 3, 2008

My husband and I and some friends ate here last Saturday night. I had read several good professional restaurant reviews about this place and I was looking forward to trying it out. I especially wanted to try the crabcakes as I am originally from Baltimore and have not been able to find good crabcakes in this area. I ordered those and they were wonderful - full of lots of lump crabmeat with very little filler. My husband had the cream of crab soup which was also full of lump crabmeat and very tasty. He did comment it had alot of sherry in it. He also had the tuna, which was also well prepared. Salads were good and just the right size. We had reservations and arrived a few minutes early and were seated right away. They were pretty busy but our food arrived promptly. Our server was very attentive and had a good personality. We will definitely go back.

3  Thank vlohokie
Reviewed April 29, 2008

My husband and I have eaten here three times. The chicken wings were o.k., however the service was lacking. My husband ordered his favorite eggplant sandwich and I have to agree that it is one of the best sandwiches on the menu. We shared the creamed califlower and it was lukewarm, with little seasoning. I ordered a salad after the chicken wings and the lettuce was dry and wilted. These are things that a restaurant may face upon first opening with an inept staff or manager. We plan to return one more time to see if things are any better. I do have to say that the tres leche cake was delicious.

1  Thank WinstonSalemFoodie