First off, I must admit I probably got one of the worst possible rooms in this establishment as far as noise issues are concerned, but the poor quality of the rooms probably applies throughout the hotel.
My room was on the ground floor, close to the lobby and the elevator, across the elevator machine room (very noisy!), overlooking the parking lot. I was told there were no other rooms available, which might even be true, although it's hard for me to believe it, judging by the number of cars in the parking lot.
The hotel is overall quite clean, but my room smelled very musty. This is probably because of the AC unit that might have been older than me, and was covered in some brown substance. The windows do not open. My bathroom was clean, though.
The lock got stuck every other time I tried to enter. I'm glad I didn't get locked inside. The wifi practically didn't work, I ended up using my phone's data connection.
Location: well, Winston-Salem is a tiny place, you can't really be in the area and no be close to everything no matter which hotel you stay. But it's not quite in downtown (you can't walk from the hotel to downtown), in spite of what its name suggests.
Breakfast is standard motel fare, eggs, pancakes, bread, cereal, tea, coffee; nothing fancy, but will help you get going in the morning.
Bottom line: a mediocre motel for the price of a 3-star hotel. It wasn't worth it.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- New downtown Winston - Salem hotel boasts excellent facilities Enjoy comfort at our new Holiday Inn Express Winston-Salem Downtown West near Wake Forest University. Our Winston - Salem accommodations will make you feel at home when you travel.Families looking for lodging in downtown Winston - Salem will enjoy staying at our hotel, located just off Business I-40. We offer close proximity to numerous Winston-Salem attractions, so you will always have something fun to do. Nearby sights and activities include shopping at the Hanes Mall, exploring historic Old Salem, SciWorks, the Reynolda House Museum of American Art and Bethabara Park. Business travelers will be impressed by the comfort of our Winston - Salem hotel. Situated downtown near the Benton Convention Center, we are convenient to large companies, including the BB&T headquarters, Krispy Kreme headquarters, Sara Lee, GMAC, Lawrence Joel Coliseum and both Wake Forest University Baptist and Forsyth Medical Centers. Salem Academy, Winston Salem State University and North Carolina School of the Arts are nearby. We offer a 24-hour business center with fax, print and copy services and free high-speed, wireless Internet access.While lodging in our downtown Winston - Salem hotel, enjoy amenities like the outdoor pool, a 24-hour fitness center and complimentary Express Start hot breakfast. Book your reservation now to take advantage of our great Winston - Salem hotel deals and rates. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with IHG, Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Priceline, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Cancelon, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Holiday Inn Express Winston-Salem Downtown West reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Express Winston-Salem Downtown West Hotel Winston Salem
- Holiday Inn Winston Salem
- Winston Salem Holiday Inn