“Badly needs renovation, a working wifi, and some soundproofing”

Holiday Inn Express Winston-Salem Downtown West
Ranked #18 of 38 Hotels in Winston Salem
Boston, Massachusetts
“Badly needs renovation, a working wifi, and some soundproofing”
Reviewed September 24, 2012

First off, I must admit I probably got one of the worst possible rooms in this establishment as far as noise issues are concerned, but the poor quality of the rooms probably applies throughout the hotel.

My room was on the ground floor, close to the lobby and the elevator, across the elevator machine room (very noisy!), overlooking the parking lot. I was told there were no other rooms available, which might even be true, although it's hard for me to believe it, judging by the number of cars in the parking lot.

The hotel is overall quite clean, but my room smelled very musty. This is probably because of the AC unit that might have been older than me, and was covered in some brown substance. The windows do not open. My bathroom was clean, though.

The lock got stuck every other time I tried to enter. I'm glad I didn't get locked inside. The wifi practically didn't work, I ended up using my phone's data connection.

Location: well, Winston-Salem is a tiny place, you can't really be in the area and no be close to everything no matter which hotel you stay. But it's not quite in downtown (you can't walk from the hotel to downtown), in spite of what its name suggests.

Breakfast is standard motel fare, eggs, pancakes, bread, cereal, tea, coffee; nothing fancy, but will help you get going in the morning.

Bottom line: a mediocre motel for the price of a 3-star hotel. It wasn't worth it.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Frank_O_advisor
Cliff G, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Winston-Salem Downtown West, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We do strive to provide exceptional accommodations to all who choose to stay with us. Our staff works very hard and we appreciate your positive comments regarding our cleanliness. I am sorry your overall impression of the property fell short of your expectations. This is not the typical experience received by our patrons and I extend my most sincere apology to you. We will utilize your feedback to better serve our guests in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Pittsburgh, Pa
Reviewed September 10, 2012

We stayed here with a group of 12 on our way to North Myrtle August 10, 2012. This is the tenth HEI Ive stayed at and have yet to be dissapointed. Rooms were spotless, good hot breakfast, easy in and out. Would reccomemend this place to anyone staying near Tabacco Road!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Gresham, Oregon
Reviewed August 18, 2012

Stayed here for 4 nights last week for a wedding. The staff were very friendly and helpful, beds were comfy,breakfast was delicious.Convenient location to downtown and friends homes.
Would certainly stay here again. Close to medical facilities also.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Reviewed July 13, 2012

This Hotel worked well because it's central Winston-Salem location is quick to get to Reynolda Road. The 5th Floor rooms had been renovated and the beds were very comfy. The bathrooms new upgraded large granite counter and new shower head are very nice. The paint tones are warm earthy colors that reminded me of Starbucks because they mix and match them - one wall was orange and next to it the other wall was gold. The staff was friendly and the complimentary breakfast had a good variety which included warm cinnamon rolls. The freeway is close so during commute times you can hear some traffic noise if your room ends in an odd number 503, 505, 507, 509 etc. but the air conditioning unit below the window drowned it out. The elevators do seem to jump when they stop and the one near the check in desk is the best one to use. I have meetings in Winston-Salem several times a year and I would stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Fayetteville, North Carolina
Reviewed July 9, 2012

I've stayed at this hotel twice now while visiting Winston-Salem with my sister. The staff at this hotel have always been extremely courteous and helpful. The first time we stayed there, I informed the clerk upon check-out that one of the beds in the room was very squeaky. He immediately called the manager over who promptly apologized and gave me a discount off that night's stay. We encountered no such problems during our second visit. The bountiful breakfast buffet is absolutely scrumptious with a large variety of foods to choose from, both hot and cold. The location if excellent with a Panera Bread, Harris Teeter, and several other shops within walking distance. Old Salem is a very short drive away as is Hanes Mall. I would definitely stay at this Holiday Inn Express whenever I visit the area.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Southern Cali Mountains
Reviewed July 7, 2012

The employees are absolutely fantastic and wonderful and helpful! They make you comfortable and are so hospitable! All hospitality facilities can learn from them!!! No hesitation whatsoever everytime I needed a shuttle transport from there to the hospital (I was dealing with a very difficult and heartbreaking ordeal with a family member and they truly made the situation easier with thier great attitude). So thankful for folks like these!! The hotel itself, very clean and comfortable as well, would definitely recommend!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
London
Reviewed May 23, 2012

This is an old hotel sandwiched next to a mini-mall and adjacent to a major hospital.

The interiors are, as other reviewers have mentioned, in need of major investment.

Air conditioning units are wall mounted under the windows and produce so much noise, that it is impossible to sleep with them on. Corridors smell funky and walls are thin.

If you have to stay at this property, and, incidentally, 'Downtown' is a misleading statement, it's nowhere close to downtown (that would be Marriott and Embassy Suites), avoid any rooms on any floors with the series '00" to '24'.

These rooms 100, 102, 104, on every one of the 5 floors, overlook the trash pickup area of the mall. Refuse collection starts at 3:30am, and waste pickup is contracted out by each store to a different waste collector. Net result, sounds of trucks backing up and garbage truck noise starts at 3:30am and goes on until 5:00am.

The staff are the redeaming quality, in an other wise lack-lustre property.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank PBRD
Cliff G, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Winston-Salem Downtown West, responded to this review, May 25, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We do strive to provide an exceptional experience to all who choose to stays with us. Our staff works very hard and we appreciate your positive comments regarding their service. I am sorry your overall impression of the property fell short of your expectations. This is not the typical experience received by our patrons and I extend my most sincere apology to you. We will utilize your feedback to better serve our guests in the future.