“A much improved property- and hidden gem”

Residence Inn Winston-Salem University Area
Ranked #9 of 38 Hotels in Winston Salem
Cincinnati, OH
“A much improved property- and hidden gem”
Reviewed February 14, 2013

We planned to visit our son at Wake Forest the week of February 4th and were looking to stay at a place nearby his apartment. The Residence Inn fit the bill, but we were concerned about the negative reviews it received last year prior to remodeling. We were encouraged by the very positive ones of this year and decided to go forward with the stay, intending to switch if not satisfied. My husband and I concur with the previous enthusiastic reviews- the place has been remodeled, it is very clean, and the amentities were what is to be expected from a residence inn. We stayed in 523 and it is said that a room off the ground floor is better. The room was surprisingly quiet as it was right on a main blvd of the Dash. The beds were very comfortable and the shower head quite good. The complimentary breakfast was more than sufficient, but the eggs were a bit cold, which is minor because you can heat them in the microwave. If you can get a hold of the "happy pills" the staff apparently were taking, I would take them. " Friendly" just doesn't define the demeanor of the staff. They were above and beyond nice.

Room Tip: second floor near the back of the facility
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed February 8, 2013

Staff is great and friendly, Austin at the front desk will always go beyond the call of duty.

Jetta is another employee that is always willing to help with a friendly smile.

This is my second extended stay at this hotel for business and I highly recommend this property if

you are in the Winston Salem, NC. area.

Cheers and Good Travels,

Rich

Room Tip: Stay in the back of property site as far off the street as possible.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Longboat Key, Florida
Reviewed January 17, 2013

Usually I do not write reviews, but my stay was so pleasurable, I felt I have to share my thoughts. I have been in lots of Residence Inns all over the country and this property and staff surpassed all my previous experiences. The property is one of the older generations of Residence Inn properties but has just recently been totally renovated and tastefully upgraded. The layout is different than others as the sports court, pool, picnic tables are centrally located giving it a small park-like environment feeling. The breakfast has a staff of 2-3 ladies in the breakfast room cleaning tables, filling the buffet. There are no towers of dirty dishes on tables and trays. In addition to friendly smiles, they offer additional egg, potato and meat selections not usually offered. The front desk staff Dana and DiCarlos are helpful and efficient with their charming, welcoming smiles. Jenna, who wears various hats at the front desk and in housekeeping is a driven, friendly, motivated, personable young lady who remembers names and treats you like her best friend - how unique, refreshing and exceptional nowadays. The GM Mr. Middleton came personally to my door to discuss something with me - just unbelievable - truly this facility shows customer service at its best providing excellent personal service. Whereas there is often a staff member that sticks out at a hotel, this place has a total team of friendly staff members. I don't understand if one Residence Inn property can do it, why the others can't. Their eye for detail is noticeable and appreciated. We felt as if we were the only guests on the property with all the attention we were given during our stay but the place was actually full. A remarkable team and staff .... great management ... customer service at its best ... thank you.

Room Tip: units on second floors; buildings in back away from roads are very quiet
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank jfm111
Beckley, West Virginia, United States
Reviewed January 13, 2013

Stayed here last minute because I had a commercial shoot in Winston-Salem. Staff was EXTREMELY KIND and NICE. Young man at the late night checkin was awesome! Room was clean and everything was well made. A couple minor quibbles - the workout room sucks to put it nicely. Like 3 treadmills and they all sound like death. The lady at the desk did inform me that they do have a program with the YMCA where you can go workout for free. Another thing was there was only one recycling bin in the room and I couldn't find any trashcans. Overall it was great just a little pricey at around $100 a day.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Zac_Middleton, General Manager at Residence Inn Winston-Salem University Area, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
I wanted to thank you for taking the time to post your comments on Tripadvisor regarding your recent stay with us at the Residence Inn Winston-Salem. As your satisfaction is so important to us I wanted to let you know that in just a few weeks our fitness center will be completely renovated and setup with all new equipment. Thank you again for your comments – I can’t wait to share them with our team.
Reviewed October 21, 2012 via mobile

We had stayed here for a friends wedding and after reading other reviews requested a newly renovated room. Being loyal Marriott hotel guests, and happy customers with the previous Residence Inn's we have stayed at, we thought we booked our stay here. As previous guests mentioned they are doing renovations, which did not bother us because we figured renovating although noisy and a bit messy usually results in a good thing. And judging by all of the workers and construction trucks there upon our arrival it seemed like it would have been. At first walking in the room it seemed nice, nice and larger kitchen and room with newer carpet and upgraded fixtures. However, after looking around you could see it was more of a quick cosmetic job. The bathroom hadn't really been touched at all and the sitting room furniture looked old and dingy. Looking around more we found the housekeeping was not up to typical Marriott standards (didn't look vaccummed and tables weren't wiped down, towels not neat, and bed not nicely made, etc) and there was a funny musty smell about the place. This was all tolerable until came time to sleep. Being more aware of bed bugs with all the recent outbreaks, we had checked "bedbugregistry.com" before booking and the hotel doesn't even pop up so with our faith in the Marriott name booked anyways. About 20 minutes after lights out I felt like I was getting bit by something on my arm, but brushed it off to be nothing. Then my husband had the same sensation a few minutes later and we turned on the light to make sure there wasn't something in the bed. To our surprise there were TINY little bugs crawling all over the sheets! I have seen pictures and video of bed bugs before to know what to look out for and sure enough they're here! We were planning on staying another night to have a day to unwind but we packed up our things and double bagged them in trash bags and were out by 5am. Leaving early to get everything into a hot dryer then a wash to prevent them from coming home with us! Needless to say we will NEVER be back!

• Stayed October 2012
3 Thank Atvb87
Zac M, General Manager at Residence Inn Winston-Salem University Area, responded to this review, December 22, 2012
I wanted to thank you for taking the time to post your comments on Tripadvisor regarding your recent stay with us at the Residence Inn Winston-Salem. As your comments so important to us I wanted to let you know that since your visit we have finished our rooms renovation and a complete inspection for anything that is not supposed to be in the suites. We have also introduced the safest and highest in preventative pest control to our hotel, which will clear up any potential for these opportunities in the future.
San Diego, California
Reviewed October 8, 2012

We spent two nights here while looking at colleges in the area. The hotel was "fine," but nothing special. Our room was quite dated, our bed was kinda saggy and the linens for the fold out couch were bordering on dingy. The unfortunate part is that we overheard the staff letting someone else know their room had been newly remodeled. We were bummed we didn't get that option. The breakfast was pretty average, had a lot of choices, but again, nothing special. And finally, although we were there to see Wake Forest, the surrounding neighborhood of this hotel seemed kind of sketchy.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
I wanted to thank you for taking the time to post your comments on Tripadvisor regarding your recent stay with us at the Residence Inn Winston-Salem. It is feedback like yours that helps us bridge the gaps of service, product quality and guest expectations. I ensure you that your comments will be used as a training document to show the importance of proper room type assignments. If you would like to discuss the matter further I will happily be of service.
Cleveland
Reviewed September 30, 2012

My family and I stopped here on the way to Myrtle Beach. Fortunately we only had to stay there one night. I had one of the older rooms that had not yet been renovated. The a/c didn't work and the loft area was VERY hot and the plumbing leaked. I informed the front desk of my issues and they gave me the business card of the Ms. Jeanne Richards GM and said to let her know. They told me that they wanted to know what they could do, to get better. I called the GM and left a vociemail and even sent her an emai. She never had the courtesy to even reply.

The only bright point here was the front desk clerk Austin. He was a helpful and courteous young guy. Way more customer oriented than the GM.

I think that the old rooms should be kept just as clean and have the amenties working even though they are going to be updated not rented in disrepair.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family