“Bed Bugs...Beware!!!”

Residence Inn Winston-Salem University Area
Ranked #10 of 38 Hotels in Winston Salem
“Bed Bugs...Beware!!!”
Reviewed October 21, 2012 via mobile

We had stayed here for a friends wedding and after reading other reviews requested a newly renovated room. Being loyal Marriott hotel guests, and happy customers with the previous Residence Inn's we have stayed at, we thought we booked our stay here. As previous guests mentioned they are doing renovations, which did not bother us because we figured renovating although noisy and a bit messy usually results in a good thing. And judging by all of the workers and construction trucks there upon our arrival it seemed like it would have been. At first walking in the room it seemed nice, nice and larger kitchen and room with newer carpet and upgraded fixtures. However, after looking around you could see it was more of a quick cosmetic job. The bathroom hadn't really been touched at all and the sitting room furniture looked old and dingy. Looking around more we found the housekeeping was not up to typical Marriott standards (didn't look vaccummed and tables weren't wiped down, towels not neat, and bed not nicely made, etc) and there was a funny musty smell about the place. This was all tolerable until came time to sleep. Being more aware of bed bugs with all the recent outbreaks, we had checked "bedbugregistry.com" before booking and the hotel doesn't even pop up so with our faith in the Marriott name booked anyways. About 20 minutes after lights out I felt like I was getting bit by something on my arm, but brushed it off to be nothing. Then my husband had the same sensation a few minutes later and we turned on the light to make sure there wasn't something in the bed. To our surprise there were TINY little bugs crawling all over the sheets! I have seen pictures and video of bed bugs before to know what to look out for and sure enough they're here! We were planning on staying another night to have a day to unwind but we packed up our things and double bagged them in trash bags and were out by 5am. Leaving early to get everything into a hot dryer then a wash to prevent them from coming home with us! Needless to say we will NEVER be back!

• Stayed October 2012
3 Thank Atvb87
Zac M, General Manager at Residence Inn Winston-Salem University Area, responded to this review, December 22, 2012
I wanted to thank you for taking the time to post your comments on Tripadvisor regarding your recent stay with us at the Residence Inn Winston-Salem. As your comments so important to us I wanted to let you know that since your visit we have finished our rooms renovation and a complete inspection for anything that is not supposed to be in the suites. We have also introduced the safest and highest in preventative pest control to our hotel, which will clear up any potential for these opportunities in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
San Diego, California
Reviewed October 8, 2012

We spent two nights here while looking at colleges in the area. The hotel was "fine," but nothing special. Our room was quite dated, our bed was kinda saggy and the linens for the fold out couch were bordering on dingy. The unfortunate part is that we overheard the staff letting someone else know their room had been newly remodeled. We were bummed we didn't get that option. The breakfast was pretty average, had a lot of choices, but again, nothing special. And finally, although we were there to see Wake Forest, the surrounding neighborhood of this hotel seemed kind of sketchy.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
I wanted to thank you for taking the time to post your comments on Tripadvisor regarding your recent stay with us at the Residence Inn Winston-Salem. It is feedback like yours that helps us bridge the gaps of service, product quality and guest expectations. I ensure you that your comments will be used as a training document to show the importance of proper room type assignments. If you would like to discuss the matter further I will happily be of service.
Cleveland
Reviewed September 30, 2012

My family and I stopped here on the way to Myrtle Beach. Fortunately we only had to stay there one night. I had one of the older rooms that had not yet been renovated. The a/c didn't work and the loft area was VERY hot and the plumbing leaked. I informed the front desk of my issues and they gave me the business card of the Ms. Jeanne Richards GM and said to let her know. They told me that they wanted to know what they could do, to get better. I called the GM and left a vociemail and even sent her an emai. She never had the courtesy to even reply.

The only bright point here was the front desk clerk Austin. He was a helpful and courteous young guy. Way more customer oriented than the GM.

I think that the old rooms should be kept just as clean and have the amenties working even though they are going to be updated not rented in disrepair.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Lexington, Virginia
Reviewed September 28, 2012 via mobile

Ive stayed at this Res Inn a number of times over the past few years (usually for WFU football game weekends). My experience has been mixed. When it's good, it is very enjoyable. The buildings are under major renovation. If you are in an old room, chances are you'll be disappointed in some feature. I'm in a renovated room this weekend and everything is very nice. One piece of advice.....ask for a second floor unit if possible. Even in the renovated buildings, the floors squeak from the foot traffic in the upper unit. If your neighbors above you go to bed at a reasonable hour, it is not too bothersome, but I've also had nights with very little sleep due to folks above me who were up all night. On the occasions where I've registered a complaint about a problem area, the management has been responsive.

Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Cincinnati, Ohio, United States
Reviewed September 18, 2012

I came expecting a good place to stay for my 1 month work visit but it seems that even so early into my trip I am disliking ALOT about this place. It seems to be built to drive a person stir crazy. They say they provide high speed internet, you cannot even load a youtube video and its barely enough to load pictures sometimes. I brought my xbox to entertain myself, and the televisons are locked against input devices and wont allow you to use them. Room service is only few times a week. Room service is not great at all because they are understaffed at night.

Other than that yes i can surf the web, slowly. Bed is comfy and kitchen is nice. Located near a bunch of stuff. However located midas, arbys and dominioes makes it a bit depressing.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank David C
Delaware, Ohio
Reviewed September 16, 2012

For some reason, I have always equated the Residence Inns as long term stay places. (which they are!) But I never gave a whole lot of though about using it as a stopping place for over night. You see, we travel with teens. They will not, nor will I ask them to share a bed. That leads us to having to book separate rooms to make sure everyone is comfortable. Imagine how very please I was (and the kids) to walk into the room and find it to be a small apartment. We were blown away by how comfortable, clean and efficient the place was. The people who work there were so genuinely kind to us. We didn't lack for service in any way. We go to South Carolina every year. This WILL be our stopping point going forward. Where else are you going to get anything like this that is clean and comfortable for arount $150.00. We have been getting seaparate rooms that have cost us that much each!

Room Tip: If you have mobility issues, it would be good to request a lower suite so you don't have to clim...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed September 15, 2012

I've stayed here twice, in 2011 and 2012. The hotel is being worked on, and some of the rooms are not rentable. The biggest problem is parking; the construction crew has appropriated at least 1/3 of the spots! But the rooms are nice, and the hotel is being upgraded.

The rooms are your standard Residence Inn design; all the rooms are one large suite, no doors. Each room I've seen has a desk with Lamp and chair, a sofa bed, a coffee table, a king bed, a full kitchen with table and three chairs, a TV (Not HD) on a chest of drawers, two large closets, an ensuite sink and dressing area, and a medium-sized, separate bathroom for the toilet and shower (I like to call these "Water Closets"). The W/C has lots of good lighting, exhaust, and a heat lamp, but just one towel rack and NO shelves! Shelves would be handy in keeping my toiletries away from my two-year-olds.

Honestly, the room last year was a little dingy, and it's obvious that they've upgraded a lot. Still, it's an R.I. with lots of foot traffic. The handle to our terrace was half snapped off, there's some extra caulk around the bathroom because to cover settliing cracks, but it really looks like they're trying to keep the place up.

They appear to be upgrading the terraces, which exist on every room, with Trex flooring and railings. I think the terraces are great, very secure, but no seating out there.

I notice that they'll shop for you, so if you are here a while on business that might work for you. The full-size kitchen (Fridge, microwave, Oven and DW) is really great with two kids.

This is a completely non-smoking hotel.

I like it. I'd stay here again. It's roomy, the staff is friendly and helpful, and they have WiFi.

Breakfast included. Nothing to write home about, but the scrambled eggs were good, and the food was fresh. All the usual carbs: Waffles, bagels, muffins, cereal, oatmeal, bananas, as well as apples, yogurt, and some really rubbery sausage. But mostly good food.

Room Tip: Near Wake Forest University and lots of shopping. Near Pepsico and Sara Lee HQs.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family