We had stayed here for a friends wedding and after reading other reviews requested a newly renovated room. Being loyal Marriott hotel guests, and happy customers with the previous Residence Inn's we have stayed at, we thought we booked our stay here. As previous guests mentioned they are doing renovations, which did not bother us because we figured renovating although noisy and a bit messy usually results in a good thing. And judging by all of the workers and construction trucks there upon our arrival it seemed like it would have been. At first walking in the room it seemed nice, nice and larger kitchen and room with newer carpet and upgraded fixtures. However, after looking around you could see it was more of a quick cosmetic job. The bathroom hadn't really been touched at all and the sitting room furniture looked old and dingy. Looking around more we found the housekeeping was not up to typical Marriott standards (didn't look vaccummed and tables weren't wiped down, towels not neat, and bed not nicely made, etc) and there was a funny musty smell about the place. This was all tolerable until came time to sleep. Being more aware of bed bugs with all the recent outbreaks, we had checked "bedbugregistry.com" before booking and the hotel doesn't even pop up so with our faith in the Marriott name booked anyways. About 20 minutes after lights out I felt like I was getting bit by something on my arm, but brushed it off to be nothing. Then my husband had the same sensation a few minutes later and we turned on the light to make sure there wasn't something in the bed. To our surprise there were TINY little bugs crawling all over the sheets! I have seen pictures and video of bed bugs before to know what to look out for and sure enough they're here! We were planning on staying another night to have a day to unwind but we packed up our things and double bagged them in trash bags and were out by 5am. Leaving early to get everything into a hot dryer then a wash to prevent them from coming home with us! Needless to say we will NEVER be back!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located just minutes away from Wake Forest University, WSSU, and downtown Winston-Salem, the Residence Inn Winston-Salem hotel’s also near local businesses like Hanes Brands, AON, Reynolds American, Pepsi, and BB&T. Our Winston-Salem Marriott hotel’s suites offer a fully equipped kitchen as well as spacious living and sleeping areas, which include our new luxurious bedding that will rival the coziness of your own bed. Start your day with our complimentary hot buffet breakfast in our Winston-Salem hotel’s gatehouse. Also located in our Residence Inn Winston-Salem gatehouse are our meeting room, fitness center, and business center. Have your own computer? Our Winston-Salem Marriott provides free wireless Internet throughout the hotel. Take advantage of our Winston-Salem hotel’s pool, heated spa, sport court, and complimentary use of the local YMCA to melt tensions away. End your day with our Residence Inn Winston-Salem Marriott complimentary evening social or a late night snack from our market. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Marriott, Priceline, Expedia, Booking.com, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Cancelon, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Cheap Tickets, Hotwire and HotelQuickly so you can book your Residence Inn Winston-Salem University Area reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Residence Inn Winston-Salem Hotel Winston Salem
- Winston Salem Residence Inn