“Disappointing stay at this Residence Inn”

Residence Inn Winston-Salem University Area
Ranked #10 of 38 Hotels in Winston Salem
Reviewed September 30, 2012

My family and I stopped here on the way to Myrtle Beach. Fortunately we only had to stay there one night. I had one of the older rooms that had not yet been renovated. The a/c didn't work and the loft area was VERY hot and the plumbing leaked. I informed the front desk of my issues and they gave me the business card of the Ms. Jeanne Richards GM and said to let her know. They told me that they wanted to know what they could do, to get better. I called the GM and left a vociemail and even sent her an emai. She never had the courtesy to even reply.

The only bright point here was the front desk clerk Austin. He was a helpful and courteous young guy. Way more customer oriented than the GM.

I think that the old rooms should be kept just as clean and have the amenties working even though they are going to be updated not rented in disrepair.

There are newer reviews for Residence Inn Winston-Salem University Area

Reviewed September 28, 2012

Ive stayed at this Res Inn a number of times over the past few years (usually for WFU football game weekends). My experience has been mixed. When it's good, it is very enjoyable. The buildings are under major renovation. If you are in an old room, chances are you'll be disappointed in some feature. I'm in a renovated room this weekend and everything is very nice. One piece of advice.....ask for a second floor unit if possible. Even in the renovated buildings, the floors squeak from the foot traffic in the upper unit. If your neighbors above you go to bed at a reasonable hour, it is not too bothersome, but I've also had nights with very little sleep due to folks above me who were up all night. On the occasions where I've registered a complaint about a problem area, the management has been responsive.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 18, 2012

I came expecting a good place to stay for my 1 month work visit but it seems that even so early into my trip I am disliking ALOT about this place. It seems to be built to drive a person stir crazy. They say they provide high speed internet, you cannot even load a youtube video and its barely enough to load pictures sometimes. I brought my xbox to entertain myself, and the televisons are locked against input devices and wont allow you to use them. Room service is only few times a week. Room service is not great at all because they are understaffed at night.

Other than that yes i can surf the web, slowly. Bed is comfy and kitchen is nice. Located near a bunch of stuff. However located midas, arbys and dominioes makes it a bit depressing.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank David C
Reviewed September 16, 2012

For some reason, I have always equated the Residence Inns as long term stay places. (which they are!) But I never gave a whole lot of though about using it as a stopping place for over night. You see, we travel with teens. They will not, nor will I ask them to share a bed. That leads us to having to book separate rooms to make sure everyone is comfortable. Imagine how very please I was (and the kids) to walk into the room and find it to be a small apartment. We were blown away by how comfortable, clean and efficient the place was. The people who work there were so genuinely kind to us. We didn't lack for service in any way. We go to South Carolina every year. This WILL be our stopping point going forward. Where else are you going to get anything like this that is clean and comfortable for arount $150.00. We have been getting seaparate rooms that have cost us that much each!

Room Tip: If you have mobility issues, it would be good to request a lower suite so you don't have to clim...
Reviewed September 15, 2012

I've stayed here twice, in 2011 and 2012. The hotel is being worked on, and some of the rooms are not rentable. The biggest problem is parking; the construction crew has appropriated at least 1/3 of the spots! But the rooms are nice, and the hotel is being upgraded.

The rooms are your standard Residence Inn design; all the rooms are one large suite, no doors. Each room I've seen has a desk with Lamp and chair, a sofa bed, a coffee table, a king bed, a full kitchen with table and three chairs, a TV (Not HD) on a chest of drawers, two large closets, an ensuite sink and dressing area, and a medium-sized, separate bathroom for the toilet and shower (I like to call these "Water Closets"). The W/C has lots of good lighting, exhaust, and a heat lamp, but just one towel rack and NO shelves! Shelves would be handy in keeping my toiletries away from my two-year-olds.

Honestly, the room last year was a little dingy, and it's obvious that they've upgraded a lot. Still, it's an R.I. with lots of foot traffic. The handle to our terrace was half snapped off, there's some extra caulk around the bathroom because to cover settliing cracks, but it really looks like they're trying to keep the place up.

They appear to be upgrading the terraces, which exist on every room, with Trex flooring and railings. I think the terraces are great, very secure, but no seating out there.

I notice that they'll shop for you, so if you are here a while on business that might work for you. The full-size kitchen (Fridge, microwave, Oven and DW) is really great with two kids.

This is a completely non-smoking hotel.

I like it. I'd stay here again. It's roomy, the staff is friendly and helpful, and they have WiFi.

Breakfast included. Nothing to write home about, but the scrambled eggs were good, and the food was fresh. All the usual carbs: Waffles, bagels, muffins, cereal, oatmeal, bananas, as well as apples, yogurt, and some really rubbery sausage. But mostly good food.

Room Tip: Near Wake Forest University and lots of shopping. Near Pepsico and Sara Lee HQs.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 14, 2012

Recently spent two weeks at this hotel and was completly disappointed.
The hotel is undergoing major renovation, but that doesn't account for the filthy conditions and poor property management. The property is not well maintained, the hot tub doesn't work, the in room movies don't work. Managment doesn't return calls to guests. The room was FILTHY with spiders everywhere. I had an upper unit (621) with a patio that was so rotted and dirty and covered with spiders that I'm surprised no one has been hurt.
Then to top it off housekeeping apparently stole my girl friends jewlery out of her jewlery box. It was all cosmetic jewlery, but still stealing from guests should never happen.
I would not receommend this hotel to anyone, and I hope that Marriott corporate can get involved to either discontinue affiliation or somehow make this hotel come up to Marriott Residence Inn standards.

Room Tip: Stay away from this place..
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed August 25, 2012

We stayed at this Residence Inn recently and we were thoroughly disappointed. The hotel room wasn't clean, there were spider webs (with spiders). I expressed my disappointment but I was told it was being rennovated and unfortunately all guests can't get one of the rennovated room so BEWARE. The pictures shown were definitely not the unit we stayed in and the nightly rate didn't reflect a sub standard room.

This hotel didn't not live up to my expectations of a Residence Inn.

1  Thank Diane D