“Improving every year”

Residence Inn Winston-Salem University Area
Ranked #9 of 38 Hotels in Winston Salem
Reviewed September 15, 2012

I've stayed here twice, in 2011 and 2012. The hotel is being worked on, and some of the rooms are not rentable. The biggest problem is parking; the construction crew has appropriated at least 1/3 of the spots! But the rooms are nice, and the hotel is being upgraded.

The rooms are your standard Residence Inn design; all the rooms are one large suite, no doors. Each room I've seen has a desk with Lamp and chair, a sofa bed, a coffee table, a king bed, a full kitchen with table and three chairs, a TV (Not HD) on a chest of drawers, two large closets, an ensuite sink and dressing area, and a medium-sized, separate bathroom for the toilet and shower (I like to call these "Water Closets"). The W/C has lots of good lighting, exhaust, and a heat lamp, but just one towel rack and NO shelves! Shelves would be handy in keeping my toiletries away from my two-year-olds.

Honestly, the room last year was a little dingy, and it's obvious that they've upgraded a lot. Still, it's an R.I. with lots of foot traffic. The handle to our terrace was half snapped off, there's some extra caulk around the bathroom because to cover settliing cracks, but it really looks like they're trying to keep the place up.

They appear to be upgrading the terraces, which exist on every room, with Trex flooring and railings. I think the terraces are great, very secure, but no seating out there.

I notice that they'll shop for you, so if you are here a while on business that might work for you. The full-size kitchen (Fridge, microwave, Oven and DW) is really great with two kids.

This is a completely non-smoking hotel.

I like it. I'd stay here again. It's roomy, the staff is friendly and helpful, and they have WiFi.

Breakfast included. Nothing to write home about, but the scrambled eggs were good, and the food was fresh. All the usual carbs: Waffles, bagels, muffins, cereal, oatmeal, bananas, as well as apples, yogurt, and some really rubbery sausage. But mostly good food.

Room Tip: Near Wake Forest University and lots of shopping. Near Pepsico and Sara Lee HQs.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed September 14, 2012

Recently spent two weeks at this hotel and was completly disappointed.
The hotel is undergoing major renovation, but that doesn't account for the filthy conditions and poor property management. The property is not well maintained, the hot tub doesn't work, the in room movies don't work. Managment doesn't return calls to guests. The room was FILTHY with spiders everywhere. I had an upper unit (621) with a patio that was so rotted and dirty and covered with spiders that I'm surprised no one has been hurt.
Then to top it off housekeeping apparently stole my girl friends jewlery out of her jewlery box. It was all cosmetic jewlery, but still stealing from guests should never happen.
I would not receommend this hotel to anyone, and I hope that Marriott corporate can get involved to either discontinue affiliation or somehow make this hotel come up to Marriott Residence Inn standards.

Room Tip: Stay away from this place..
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed August 25, 2012

We stayed at this Residence Inn recently and we were thoroughly disappointed. The hotel room wasn't clean, there were spider webs (with spiders). I expressed my disappointment but I was told it was being rennovated and unfortunately all guests can't get one of the rennovated room so BEWARE. The pictures shown were definitely not the unit we stayed in and the nightly rate didn't reflect a sub standard room.

This hotel didn't not live up to my expectations of a Residence Inn.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Diane D
Reviewed July 14, 2012

My wife & I recently stayed at the Mariott Residence Inn in Winston-Salem, N.C. This hotel was perfdect for us during our stay. WEe were checked in by Brittany, who was very helpful & friendly to us. Actually, all of the staff we encountered were efficent, friendly & helpful. Our room was a little dated, but was perfect for our 5 day/4 night stay. We used the hotel as a base from which to visit all of our local destinations. My Mother & sister also had a room there and were more than pleased with the accomodations. Our room had a "mini-kitchen" as well as a desk/counter and a sofa with a fold-out bed. We would definately stay here again.
p.s.: the breakfasts and socials were great!!

Room Tip: If you are handicapped or traveling with an elderly or handicapped person, the rooms in the southeas...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 6, 2012

We stayed four nights. The staff was friendly and the free breakfast was sufficient. It was in a good location close to the coliseum, shopping centers and grocery stores. I'm very finicky about a clean bathroom and kitchen and ours was up to par. Unfortunately, a friend who also stayed there at the same time had a bathroom where the tile was buckling in the shower. I'd stay again.

Room Tip: Studios on the second floor are quieter and the bathrooms are in better shape.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 6, 2012

I have made several business trips to North Carolina and have found the Residence Inn is the most friendly staff and clean accomodations. The grounds are maintained with great amenities. Austin (front desk) is helpful and friendly. Cynthia (evening reception) welcomed me after a long day at work and makes me feel at home. Betty and Theresa do a great job at breakfast and are also very friendly. Brittany and Janelle are very accomodating and want to make sure my stay is enjoyable.

Helps me to feel like I am at home!
thanks
Marie Newcom

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed June 24, 2012

My husband and I went to training classes and chose to stay at the Residence Inn. It was a fanastic and very relaxing experience. The breakfast was hot and the social hour was a nice touch at the end of a long day. We will be back for another visit next year!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business