“Typical Hampton - clean, comfortable and convenient”

Hampton Inn Winston-Salem - I-40 / Hanes Mall
Ranked #3 of 38 Hotels in Winston Salem
Reviewed August 21, 2014

I often select Hampton Inns when I travel because they are clean, comfortable, modern and convenient. I can depend on a standard level of good quality and service. I also appreciate that breakfast and reliable wifi internet service are included with the room, and that small complimentary amenities are included (e.g. coffee, water and snacks in the lobby). This Hampton was no exception. We stayed here on the way from Chicago to Durham, NC and were quite pleased with the experience. The staff was welcoming and helpful, the rooms were clean and well-equipped, and all the expected amenities were provided. A solid choice I'd be pleased to make again. My only complaint was that the room rate ($155) was excessive and unexpected, but that is unusual for a Hampton. Maybe something was going on in the area that we didn't know about - I know we got the last available room, so that likely played a role.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Reviewed August 9, 2014

I travel for business and I have stayed at this particular Hampton Inn about a dozen times. I’ve also tried the nearby Marriott Courtyard on Westbrook Plaza (same price) and I much prefer the Hampton. This Hampton is very clean with a super friendly desk staff. About half the rooms have two queen beds and half have a king with a sofa. Personally, I prefer the king bed/sofa combo.

I’ve stayed on every floor and all are fine, except the first floor. Those rooms made me feel claustrophobic or something. Ask for a room on the second floor or higher.

There’s a mini-fridge and microwave in the rooms. I have occasionally gotten a room with a fridge that hums. Not annoying enough to change rooms but a tad bothersome. The rooms have very reliable wifi (never dropped the signal), which I really appreciate.

The breakfast is what you’d expect. The make-your-own-waffle station is popular with good reason. One nice perk: you can get a bagged breakfast to go if you prefer (Mon – Fri). The bagged breakfast has a bottle of water, muffin, cereal bar, apple and box of mints. Nice if you’re in a hurry or need to leave the hotel particularly early.

The lobby has coffee (regular and decaf) and hot water 24/7. Love that. They also put out cookies late each afternoon. There are always fresh apples in a bowl by the registration desk.

The hotel is convenient to the interstate yet very quiet. I’ve never been bothered by street noise or room noise from other guests. There’s a pool, fitness room and coin-laundry on site. No valet parking.

The hotel does not have room service, but there are several restaurants within a block or two, including Macaroni Grill, Village Tavern (recommended!) and Outback Steakhouse. The hotel is practically next store to Hanes Mall and just down the street from a large medical center. Downtown is about 5 miles away and easy to access from the hotel.

Overall, a very nice stay and recommended for business or personal travel.

Stayed: August 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank IzzyBea
Reviewed August 5, 2014

Polite, easy check in. Even got a late check out. Normal check out here is 12..I stayed until 1:00. Small outdoor pool but very well stocked with chairs and loungers and an outdoor fire place and tv. Breakfast was traditional Hampton Inn,clean dining area. Rooms were very clean and decor is updated and traditional. Centrally located to all the shopping and restaurants. You can shop till you drop and drive a few hundred feet and fall on the super comfy bed that was not too firm yet not too soft. I would stay here again for sure.

Room Tip: We were on bottom floor, room 118. It is very close to a rentable conference room ( that was occupie...
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank snippin
Reviewed August 4, 2014

Clean, quiet, typical of Hampton Inn. Breakfast was ok, nothing special. Pool area was busy as you would expect on a summer weekend. Reserved a king bed, but was given two queens at first. Annoying to have to go back downstairs and change rooms. Also reservation was made and confirmed for one night, yet they had us staying for two nights. My wife insists on Hampton Inn, I don't think they are all that great.

Room Tip: Choices just as good in the immediate vicinity at a better price. (LaQuinta)
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed July 27, 2014

We always stay at Hampton Inns- an hHonors program, silver member, but this one was only average. First of all our TV would not come on. After 2 calls to the front desk and a trip down to the desk to get some sort of explanation as to why, the clerk came with a new remote....good! The next morning as we were watching FOX NEWS, the channel quit working. All other channels were just fine! We asked why would it only be that channel? Hummmmm? They sent up a maintenance man, and he was puzzled. I read before we booked this hotel that someone else had this same problem. Is Hampton Inn not wanting their clients to watch FOX NEWS or is it just this location?

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 27, 2014

Great hotel with convenience, comfort. The A/C was problematic as the temp could not be adjusted to a setting that wasn't too cold. Ended up unplugging it and plugging it back in. Breakfast wasn't great but wasn't too bad, either. Very clean lobby, rooms and pool area. Staff was friendly.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Hampton
Reviewed July 26, 2014

I love this Hampton. There is an incredible exercise room with free weights, good machines, and headphones so I could watch tv while I worked out. The pool is outdoors and very nice with a great poolside lounges and tables. The rooms are great but they always are. The bathroom and shower is great and the bed comfortable as always. The front desk staff was very friendly and helpful.

Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family