“Exceptional experience”

Ranked #16 of 38 Hotels in Winston Salem
Rye, New York
“Exceptional experience”
Reviewed January 8, 2013

This Marriott stay was beyond my expectations. I have never stayed in a Marriott where EVERYONE who works there seems to fully enjoy their job and wants to make it a pleasant experience for the guests. The check-in was flawless, the lobby is fresh, clean and comfortable, the breakfast was perfect with (really) fresh fruit and coffee all served with a genuine smile to start the day. The room was immaculate and the Tea Tree body lotion and Paul Mitchell hair products were terrific. The check-out was made even better with the extra service to help me by keeping my bag until the airport taxi arrived. This Marriott should be their standard of excellence!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Tom F, General Manager at Courtyard Winston-Salem Hanes Mall, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Dear m21are,
We admit it, we LOVE our jobs and our Customers, and it shows. When you work at the newest hotel in Winston Salem, and we do strive to exceed Marriott Standards. It makes it truly a pleasure to serve our guests every day. Thank you for you kind words and we look forward to serving your needs in the future.
Tom Ferrell

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed January 4, 2013

This hotel is a great value. The rooms are average size, comfortable, new, and clean. I can't say enough about the staff. They were very friendly and attentive. After we returned home, my wife realized that she had left her prescription glasses in the room. We called the hotel and they had found them. The staff promptly mailed them to us overnight. Many hotels would not have gone to that level of service. Thank you Courtyard staff!

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank SuperK3_0
Tom F, General Manager at Courtyard Winston-Salem Hanes Mall, responded to this review, January 6, 2013
Dear SuperK3_0,

Thank you for your kind words about our hotel and Great staff. We do try to anticipate our guests needs and exceed their expectations. We look forward to many return visits to this great hotel.

Thanks again,

Belfast -Northern Ireland
Reviewed November 15, 2012

The Courtyard is very much like any other Marriott Courtyard that I’ve been to, which is good as you know what to expect. This one did have a few differences which made it a little better.

It is easy to get to as it is very close to the I40 and is right beside a Walgreens as well as Hanes mall. Parking is on the premises and is free, there is also other exit doors (other than the main one) that open out into the parking area which is handy, you access this with your room card

This hotel has been upgraded and you can tell as the colour scheme (orange-y) is a little different than the older Courtyard hotels, plus they have an interactive screen in the lobby that tells you things such as the weather, news, things in the local area etc…. I haven’t seen that before. Opposite the reception desk is the Bistro – Bistro 9. This is where you get your breakfast in the morning. I checked in after a long day of flying and was able to get a pizza and cup of soup and take it up to my room to eat which was handy, exactly what I wanted and both were very tasty. Other options on the menu are sandwiches and appetizers. You’d have to go elsewhere if you want something bit more substantial. They also serve alcohol such as beer and cocktails.
I also ate here in the morning, they have breakfast options such as oatmeal, granola and breakfast sandwiches. I had the Healthy Start which is egg whites on an English muffin with spinach, cheese and Canadian bacon. They also do Starbucks coffee although there is free tea & coffee on offer at reception with the papers.

As well as the Bistro area they also have a lounge area which some sofas and a large flat screen TV. I was here on the presidential election night and this area had a lot of people sitting together having a drink watching the results (also on their laptops). I didn’t see anyone else use this area any other evening. There is an outdoor pool, which was closed as it was November and a gym room opposite the elevators (I didn’t use it). There was free Wifi throughout the hotel and I had no problems accessing it

The room was a standard Courtyard room. It was very spacious as I had 2 double beds and there was still room for a comfy chair beside the window. The room had a desk, TV, fridge, tea & coffee making facilities, iron & ironing board and hairdryer. The shower was over a bath but there was a lot of room and the shower curtain curved around the bath. The water pressure was good. There was a good supply of towels although they weren’t the most fluffy in the world but they did the job. Shampoo, conditioner and soap are provided in small containers which was great for me on my first night as my luggage didn’t come until the next morning.
The bed was very comfy and there was more than enough pillows, the duvet was a bit light though, which makes sense during the summer when it is warm but this was winter, and there were no extra blankets. I wasn't cold but would have preferred the duvet to be a little heavier. There is a heater / cooler in the room which you can set to auto so it heats the room up when it gets below a certain temperature but I didn't have this on during the night as the noise seemed loud against the quiet of the room and I thought it would wake me

I didn’t encounter much staff members during my staff but those I did were polite, friendly and efficient.

Overall I had a good stay. I like the upgrades that were done as it definitely makes the hotel more modern which is great. I would stay here again

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Tom F, General Manager at Courtyard Winston-Salem Hanes Mall, responded to this review, December 26, 2012
Dear littlemissneve,
Thank you for your kind words about our Newly Remodeled hotel! Yes it is true we are now the newest hotel in Winston Salem, NC. This past summer of 2012 we have completely remodeled our guest rooms, lobby, Front Desk, Pool and Restaurant areas. We now have a Bistro that features a Starbucks and an interactive Touch Screen that gives you up to the minute News, Sports, Flights and other valuable information @ your finger tips and so much more! Yes we have a Great staff to anticipate your needs and exceed your expectations ! So hurry back and see our exciting changes…We will be waiting with lots of smiles and Southern Hospitality.
Thanks again,
Tom Ferrell, CHA
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed November 11, 2012

I have just returned from one of the BEST stays I have ever experienced!! My check in experience was great, my room was great and everyone was so friendly. But what really topped off my stay was a beautiful, always smiling woman in the Bistro, Ms. Cherie!!! She was GREAT! She made sure I was satisfied with my meal and she made great reccomendations. I have never seen someone so friendly, professional and that is truly concerned about her guests. This will now be my choice hotel. I am looking forward to her smiles and great service!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Tom F, General Manager at Courtyard Winston-Salem Hanes Mall, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
Thank you for your kind words about our great property, Ms. Cherie, and staff. This hotel since its recent remodeling continues to exceed our guest’s expectations in service, product and style. We are now Winston Salem’s newest Hotel and we are working hard to be the number one hotel in the market. Cherie certainly embodies that passion and desire to satisfy our guest with her friendly professional attitude. I will be sure to share your comments with her and all of our staff. I look forward to your return visits.

Brentwood
Reviewed October 17, 2012

Stayed 3 nights at this property. Very attentive, well trained staff, clean, quiet room and nice amenities including the lobby cafe and place to relax and unwind outside the room. Bed was not very comfortable at all as I frequently tossed and turned to relieve pressure points. I looked at it and it appeared to have seen better days. Had to run water for extended period of time to get hot, let alone, warm water at sink or shower. Mentioned it to staff, but did not see improvement during my stay. Exercise room needs to have a water cooler, more towels and pads for floor exercise. I will come back and stay, but these maintenance issues need to be worked on.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Tom F, General Manager at Courtyard Winston-Salem Hanes Mall, responded to this review, October 19, 2012
Dear Pleasant stay,
Thank you very much for your kind words about our beautiful new hotel, I do apologize for the problems you had with the hot water, with our recent renovations it seems 1 of our circulation pumps was knocked out of service, and that affected tour instant hot water to just a few rooms that we normally provide to our guests. We hope to have that pump replaced this week, but it took a few days to correct the problem, and we apologize for that. I the exerise room we did order a new water cooler (the old one looked like 1980’s) and the mat is in place now, as we do listen to our guests comments and take them very serious. It is also our hope to replace all the beds in 2013, so thank you for your comment as it supports our request for new bedding. I do hope that when your travels bring you to Winston Salem you will give us another try, this truly is a great hotel that is blessed with a great caring staff.
Jonesborough, Tennessee
Reviewed September 6, 2012

Spent one night there Labor Day weekend. Under extensive renovation so hard to tell how this will turn out. The biggest thing I noticed was a sign at front desk stating emophatically this propert was managed and operated by not the Marriott but another party.. That I believe says it all. It was not what I have come to respect and experience at Marriott properties. The continental breakfast was so so-neither good or bad-rather what many hotels serve to fill the bill as servicing breakfast! Our room was recently renovated-was clean and okm-small - I would look elsewhere before staying here again-they had to bring a small fridge and microwave to room. Said the new ones are on order

Room Tip: no real advice
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Tom F, General Manager at Courtyard Winston-Salem Hanes Mall, responded to this review, September 8, 2012
Dear William D,
Thank you for your comments about our New Refreshing business Hotel. Unfortunately you visit was before we were complete. We still were in the process of obtaining our permits and food service license when you came in. Therefore we could not serve the full hot breakfast that you are used to. I do apologize that we could not satisfy your breakfast needs but rather than have nothing at all for our guest we provided a complementary prepackaged breakfast . Please come back to this great hotel and try us again. Contact me directly and I will be glad to buy you breakfast in our New Bistro the next morning including a Starbucks coffee or tea. I look forward to hearing from you.

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed July 22, 2012

Suprised at how little choice in this city. Great school close by. HQ to Hanes. Adequate stay but very limited. Typical noisy AC unit in this Courtyard. Beds were Ok. Room was not ready at 5pm.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Tom F, General Manager at Courtyard Winston-Salem Hanes Mall, responded to this review, July 23, 2012
Dear TopDoc,

Thank you for your comments to Tripadvisor about our hotel, yes it is very convenient to great shopping, restaurants, schools and more… We are making this Courtyard even better , by adding a Bistro with a Starbucks, All New Rooms, and more… We are sorry you room was not ready when you got here but we only have 3 Jacuzzi Rooms and sometimes guest just don’t want to leave so we can get the rooms cleaned and ready for other guest. Please try us again, but reserve ahead because they are selling out fast.