“Not really sure how I feel.....” 2 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Crossland Studios Winston-Salem - University Parkway
Ranked #35 of 37 Hotels in Winston Salem
East Orange
“Not really sure how I feel.....”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2013

This room was booked for me & some out of town friends who were in town for a function. I was told that all the hotels from Greensboro to Burlington into Raliegh were booked solid for a Furniture Convention. From the outside the hotel looked really nice, When I was checked into my room, the other room was for 2 grown men to stay in. I was given their room key until they arrived, 1st I was very confused as how the rooms were #, When I walked into my room, the room was very basic, one bed (that really didn't look like a double) an older model tv, a small table & chair, and a small kitchen-ette. I wasn't pleased, But I knew that this was all that was available in the surrounding areas. I went to check on the guy's room & when I finally found it b/c of the confusing # system. I opened the door and saw a room layout JUST like mine, and I immeaditely knew this was not going to work for 2 grown men,So when I went to the front desk to ask for 2 doubles because the there would be 2 grown men staying the room & that there was no way they were going to share a bed,The gentleman working the front desk (I think he was a manager) said to me in a very sarcastic way, That there were no double rooms & that one of them better get a blanket & sleep on the floor. Well when the 2 gentlemen arrived I informed them of the situation. One of them decided to get dressed in my room, We also needed an iron to press our clothes, I called down to the front desk & I was told all the irons were in use, and if one became available she would call me back..Safe to say....we never got that iron...The only positve thing was the shower, the water pressure was GREAT!!!!!, The remote to the tv didn't work, even though I was only interested in watching one thing (GO NY KNICKS!!!!!), When it was time for us to go out for the evening, one of my friends suggested that I bring my bag with me, That was code word for: We're not coming back here tonight!!!!

I also noticed that this hotel is also an extended stay for people who have been displaced for different reasons, I was on the elevator with a lady who sais she had been staying there for 6 mo. and was finally able to go home, I also noticed a man coming out of a room who was clearly homeless. So we were just there actually a few hours....enough time to shower,& change watch the Knicks/Celtics game & that was it. Glad the room was paid for by someone else. We did not return that night.

Room Tip: Only stay here unless everything else is sold out in a 20-30 mile radius
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
      Cleanliness
Manager_11525, General Manager at Crossland Studios Winston-Salem - University Parkway, responded to this review, June 5, 2013
I received a copy of your review, and wanted to take a moment to personally respond. I am pleased to read your remarks about the water pressure in the shower and you being able to watch the Knicks games. However, I am very sorry that we were unable to accommodate your request for a room with 2 double beds. Additionally, I am disappointed to hear you received such poor response to your request. As this hotel’s manager, I can assure you that I have expressed your comments to our team and will be implementing a plan of action to ensure your experience is not repeated.

We continually work to improve our hotel, so I really appreciate you providing us with your feedback. If you have any additional feedback, please reach out to me at WSU@extendedstay.com. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to provide you with a better experience the next time you're in the area.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Benson, North Carolina
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2013

i booked this room over the phone for university park way Winston Salem they told me there was a grab and go breakfast. They didnt even have a coffee pot much less a breakfast, they would give you a pack for one cup you could do in your room then the bed was supposed to be a queen it was a double they would tell me each time that there sister hotel six miles down the road had a Continental Breakfast and they had the true queen size bed but amassing they were full the whole time we were there. This place did not have ice it did not have a phone in our room i never even seen a drink or snack machine,The sign said no pets but we seen a man come out a room with a dog.So if you only need a bed this is your place.The staff was very friendly but they have nothing to work with.We even had a granddaughter stay with us but they did not have a roll away or any thing she could sleep on except a couple of blankets.We have family in the area so we will be going back,but it will not be to this hotel

Room Tip: Hotel across the street looks nice
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2012 via mobile

When we first arrived at the hotel we were given keys to 2 dirty rooms. The desk clerk was really nice, but I expected more. Finally the third room was "clean". The smoke detector was hanging off the wall, definitely a hazard. The sheets, blankets, and comforters had multiple holes in them. There is no ice maker at this hotel. You also have to ask for an iron at the desk. The beds are EXTREMELY HARD! I recommend spending extra money to stay somewhere else. Unfortunately the city was sold out due to a college homecoming.

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank Lenny G
Jamie B, Manager at Crossland Studios Winston-Salem - University Parkway, responded to this review, November 28, 2012
"I recently received a copy of your review, and wanted to take a moment to respond. Our company prides itself on providing great service and great rooms at great rates, which is why I was so disappointed to read your post. Please accept my most sincere apologies.

IAD
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2011

Many reviews here are misleading. By any standard, you should not stay here for holiday, business or something. This is the one of worst extended stay hotels I ever stayed. This is a sole top worst in the nation. I know how ESAs can be near here e.g. Charlotte or Ralegh. Room is old, dirty and smoking smell even in non-smoking room. A lot of folks stay as if they live in their apartment. Here is typical scene if you would stay here. People pay cash in front desk for their daily stay in the morning. They hang out all day in various places in this property. They pull out some chairs from their room and hang out in the garage. Sometime, they grill bbq in back of property with loud music together. So this really is for their extended stay . Don't bother to stay here for your business

Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank IADFlyer
Canton, MI
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2011

Don't hesitate! I was sooo pleased with this room! I would definitely stay again-especially considering the price! I made a reservation but was quite concerned with what the room would be like-but was so happy with the room. I didn't give a 5 because it is a small room-but didn't spend much time in the room anyway. Service didn't get a 5 only because I couldn't check in early.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank m3s2g
south carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2011

Very nice room and excellent check in .It was clean quiet,close to places to eat.Would stay again.Very good price

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank deb2u
London, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2010

We booked this months in advance, and called a few days ahead to say we would be arriving in the middle of the night. We were assured this was no problem. Finally arrived at the hotel at 1am after a 15 hour drive to find the guy at the desk can't find our reservation and has to call his manager and get help to sign us in. This takes over half an hour and we're finally given our room keys. We take a smoke filled elevator upstairs to find that the keys don't work. Three keys, and not one of them will work. My colleague goes down to tell him the key isn't working and he runs it through the machine again...it still doesn't work. I go down and tell him to come upstairs and open the door for us, he refuses! He runs the key again, and again it doesn't work, so he finally comes up to help. His master opens the door and the stink of smoke immediately comes out the door. We said we reserved non-smoking and he said he can't help it if people smoke in non-smoking rooms. I asked for a different room and he said he couldn't get us one, and that he really can't do anything about it because our room was guaranteed on a credit card. I told him it was guaranteed NON smoking and wanted a refund. At 2am, we went down to the office and waited another 30 minutes while he figured out how to refund us. The whole place looked disgusting and if it wasn't the middle of the night I would have left right away. We found a lovely Holiday Inn at 3am...they will be my first choice next time.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business