“Musty wet dog smell in room 122 with ambivalent desk person”

Candlewood Suites Wilson
Ranked #12 of 17 Hotels in Wilson
Reviewed July 24, 2012

Since trip advisor has this as #1 we booked a room as a stopover on our road trip to Myrtle Beach. Upon arrival the room smelled like musty wet dog. We went straight to the desk and asked to switch rooms. The woman at desk said they are booked up but if we had a cancellation. She gave me a febreeeze like deodorizer and said that it's most likely from AC which they had trouble with the night before. Smell stayed. No other room opened. Our front door would not open without shoving shoulder into it. Bathroom door wouldn't close. I imagine this is the room they give to one nighters, since the majority of their guests are extended stays. In the morning the SAME desk clerk was completely ambivalent. Offered no discount. Made no attempt to write anything down. Btw room next door smelled lovely(so if it was an AC issue wouldn't other rooms have same smell issue?). This place is gross. Go somewhere else. Lots of choices. I wiuld have slept better in my car.
On the other hand Mexican restaurant El Tapatio ( across the parking lot) was amazing. 3.99 margaritas and delicious Mexican food. I should have had more margaritas so I would have passed out and not smelled musty dog all night. BLECK!!!

• Stayed: July 2012
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Wilson, responded to this reviewResponded August 17, 2012

Dear NewYorkTeacher33,

Thank you for your feedback. Guest comfort and satisfaction are of the utmost concern to us and our hotel is committed to making every possible effort to provide consistently clean, comfortable and courteous place for our guests. I apologize about the musty pet smell in your room as well as the trouble with bathroom door. Though I would prefer you had a better experience at our hotel, I would like to thank you for sharing your thoughts as this is our best resource for improving guest services.

I appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback and I hope you give us a chance in the future to make your stay the best as it can be.

Lera M

Reviewed July 19, 2012

I found myself having to travel down to Florida by car and had to make the trip alone. I judged a reasonable driving distance from my home to place me in Wilson, NC before it got dark. I chose Candlewood Suites because it was rated first on Trip Advisor's list of hotels for that location. I was not disappointed. The hotel was a few miles from I-95, but easy to find, and located within close range of shopping and eating establishments, if one chose not to avail themselves of the kitchenette in the room. I loved the full-sized refrigerator where I could freeze my ice packs for my cooler without dealing with ice cubes, and the room had a recliner and a table for my laptop. There was an exercise room and a small store which stocked necessities reasonably and had coffee available. The room rate was very reasonable and the room was clean. I also found the personnel to be friendly. If you join their Priority Club, they give you a bottle of water and some mints, which was a nice surprise after the long, hot trip. The hotel is geared to extended stay guests, as there is no continental breakfast provided as in many other hotels, and dogs are allowed, which didn't bother me. If you are looking for a friendly, reasonably priced, clean hotel in Wilson, this would be my choice. If I am in the area again, I will stay here.

Room Tip: Articulate any special needs you have to the front desk.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank JerseyGirl54
Reviewed July 12, 2012

Good Points: Spent 3 nights, clean room, bath & kitchenette xtra clean, appliances & dishes in excellent condition. Speedy check in & out, courteous helpful staff. Hotel appeared well managed. Free laundry mat, best free coffee in snack bar; snacks items cost. hotel is for business travelers with No breakfast. Plenty of restaurants in walking distance. Walmart, Target, drug store, etc. close by. Hotel easy to find off exit 121 on I-95. We stayed 3 days, no housekeeping policy but towel exchange if needed. Double bed room had recliner, working desk, studio style/kitchenette room. Well lit safe parking area in shopping/hotel complex. BAD POINTS: Musty smelling room, even daily disinfectant & deoderizing spray, but no change. Carpet was worn and very unattractive. That plus the smell bothered me the whole time. Air conditioner gave only blowing freezing cold air and when turned off the musty smell got worse. Also, pet friendly good for some people, but not me. I encountered a lady in the hall elevator with 2 big 60 lb. dogs. I am concerned about fleas. Also, the bed was uncomfortably sagging. ALERT:FYI, We made our reservation on what we thought was Candlewood Suites, but the internet website called RESERVATIONCOUNTER.COM popped up & appeared to be the hotel. We could not cancel with them. They lied that they were 28% discount from hotel cost, but 3 weeks before we checked in, they charged my account $67 more than the actual hotel costs/ We found out they book 3rd party thru Expedia.com. This is NOT THE FAULT OF CANDLEWOOD. Be sure you are dealing directly with the hotel or Choice Hotels because this company will not cancel or even answer your phone calls after you book with them. Even their website would not respond to the erroneous confirmation reservation number they gave us.

Room Tip: 1st Floor room was quiet, auto right in front of window. No unusual noise although close to check in...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed July 7, 2012

Comfy beds, great kitchenette (has a full size dishwasher), free laundry, nIce bathroom, full length mirror, etc. Only complaint I had was with regards to the water pressure in the shower. Otherwise, great experience and would come back.

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed June 11, 2012

Three huge words of advice if you book here-CONFIRM CONFIRM AND CONFIRM AGAIN-
IF you book with hotels.com forget what you are told accordng to the front desk they will tell
you no matter what you booked you agree to the best available upon arrival. They will also tell you as in the room we paid enough for the 2 room,2 tv suite that hotels.com can not even provide that as the hotel never allows them the rooms to rent. I would say more about the situation but read consumer affairs for the number of complaints-we paid for something in our opinion we did not receive and charged more than if we had stayed in a nicer place. We were told they have problems with rooms booked by this agency often-we are not by far the first.
NOW ON THE HOTEL EXPERIENCE! after a long trip and tired we entered a room full of beer bottles and sheets on the floor-we stopped looking at the door. We were told luckily there was one room left and we thought ok this will be the same room we bargained- not even close-
There was a microwave and fridge and stove top in the same room with one tv and one bed so uncomfortable i was afraid my bones would be too soar to get up in the morning. It literally felt like a bag full of broken foam. No small oven even. I went down to the front desk hoping they could do something AT LEAST REFUND OUR MONEY AND LET US TRY OUR LUCK SOMEWHERE ELSE_ I was met with a frown and a deal with it attitude. Telling me over/over if i wanted better service i should have booked with them. I ask if the other room could be cleaned- was told NO-can i go somewhere else, this will not work for us-NO-i ask for the manager and was told as if i were a child go back to your room and i will have her call you. Then she proceeded to tell me i had threatened her because i told her i would write a review and it would not be a good one-and yes i was tired and upset but that was her only threat. what a drama queen. It was like she wanted to push every button she could to make matters worse. When the manager did call she was calm - rational and apologetic but again blamed hotels.com as she only had best available on her rental and she had nothing to do with the situation and could not control it- she did the best she could with dealing with them and the corporation that let them book rooms. She was sweet as sugar and calm as a cucumber-the perfect manager. I admire
her attitude and a person i would hire in a heart beat for customer service. She did let us change rooms the next day and it was much better although not the room we thought we paid. The bed slept well and it was clean. The window opened fully to allow for fresh air and the ac was cool enough for a super hot week end. The television left much to be desired but average channel selection for many hotels. If you want a partial kitchen in the same room and that is important to you-it may be a good choice for you-but consider they offer nothing free but some coffee and a bit of fruit from a bowl. You are better off in my opinion to get a free breakfast-stay somewhere much less expensive (plenty of restaurant choices) or get a really nice room for the same money.
I feel ripped off and abused by the whole event. Others stayed at motel/hotels with a indoor swimmng/outdoor pool-better tv's,free breakfast and great mattress for a fraction of our cost and their rooms were all ready- a few even had a small fridge and micro-not sure what we paid the extra money???? a full size refridge? nothing special here to warrant more money. Ill give this place a good review for the service only because the manager is a special lady. i want to see the positive first.

Room Tip: rooms are not very quiet and not at all sound proof. Elevators are in the middle area and most conj...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Wilson, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2012

Dear wecacnna,

Thank you for staying with us and leaving such a detailed review. I am deeply sorry you found our hotel less than satisfactory. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas, We welcome any opportunity to improve.

When you book with hotels.com you are essentially booking a standard room and does not guarantee bed type or smoking preference. If this is something that is important to you, It is best to book directly with us for guaranteed room type.

Katie J

Katie J

Reviewed May 22, 2012

This was a great place to stay. There are plenty of places to eat nearby and places to buy groceries. We stayed in a small room but it had a full kitchen with a full sized refrigerator. There is a gym and laundry. Coffee is served in the mornings and you can buy breakfast items for a reasonable price. We took our 4 lb. Yorkie and he absolutely loved it! It's close to the interstate and also close to downtown Wilson. We will be staying at this hotel again.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed May 20, 2012

Overall it was a nice experience for our 3 night stay - relatively new property, clean, and convenient location for most anything in Wilson. If you're a fan of Candlewood Suites this is a good one, and we'd stay there again. Strangley, they didn't have any of the folding luggage stands, so we had to use 2 of the 3 chairs in the room for suitcases. (But now that I type this I realize I could have used the ironing board to free up a seat...oh well).

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple