“Eastern Noirth Carolina Bar-B-Que”
Review of Parker's Barbecue

Parker's Barbecue
Ranked #1 of 150 Restaurants in Wilson
Cuisines: Barbecue
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Takeout
Manassas
“Eastern Noirth Carolina Bar-B-Que”
Reviewed October 14, 2013

I have been eating at Parkers for 70 years...I was born and raised on their Bar B Que, Brunswick Stew and Fried Chicken..a MUST STOP when traveling South

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank BillManassas

Chapel Hill, NC
“A winner every time”
Reviewed October 3, 2013

If you like Eastern NC BBQ, Parker's is one of the go to spots. I've eaten BBQ, and enjoyed it, in many places including Texas and Lexington, NC, but this is the real thing. Of course, as a native of the region I am biased! I grew up with the vinegar/pepper based chopped pork and fried chicken. Parker's has the best corn sticks I've ever eaten, and they don't hold back on therm. The Brunswick stew was a little drier than I like, but that doesn't mean it's not very good. Their ice tea, sweet, is also very good.

The four of us ordered family style which is basically all you can eat. We weren't planning to eat a lot, but it was my nephew's first visit, and we wanted him to try some of everythingl. Two helpings later, we happy campers.

Parker's has three dining area with lots of open tables. Don't expect china or table cloths. All of this is part of the way Eastern NC BBQ is enjoyed. Lots of people know lots of other people, and the openness makes it easy to stop and speak to the people you know. Waiters, all male, don't hover. You often have to attract their attention if you need them once served, but they very nice, friendly and efficient.

This is a bustling place during peak hours. Order and enjoy the chance to be part of the community while eating great BBQ and/or chicken with great sides!

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank Julia S
Eastern Tennessee
“Fantastic BBQ - Cash Only”
Reviewed September 13, 2013

There is an ATM in the restaurant. The food is terrific. The atmosphere is... different. This is a very large restaurant in the middle of nowhere North Carolina, just South of Wilson. NC which is itself a small town. Be sure and try the corn sticks although I have no idea what exactly they are. They were good. The pulled pork, Carolina style, was very very very good. French fries were average. BUT THE BRUNSWICK STEW WAS F A N T A S T I C !!!!!!!!!!!!

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank Gawain33
Hicksville, New York
“Old time feel - good food, local flavor”
Reviewed August 18, 2013

We went to Parker's Barbecue while on a NY - FLA road trip. I had read about Parker's in a book about authentic North Carolina BBQ, and decided to head a few miles off I-95 to try some local barbecue. We are glad we did.

The restaurant is a pretty big inside, bigger than the roadside stand I was expecting. It is a throwback to restaurants I remember from roadtrips of the 70's - they even have high school and college aged waiters in paper hats and white shirts. The service was friendly and quick. The menu is not huge, basically three choices barbecued pork (Eastern Carolina style with a vinegar based sauce), barbecued chicken, and friend chicken. I tried a combination platter which had both the pork barbecue and the fried chicken. Both choices were excellent, as were the sides - in my case Brunswick stew, French fries, and coleslaw. The pork is chopped finely, and the coleslaw prepared in the Carolina style with mustard and chopped finely as well. Some people may find this unusual and not to their liking, but this would not mean the food is not good, just not what they expected.

One thing that I cant imagine anyone being unhappy with is the price - at less than $7 a meal, another throwback! I would recommend this restaurant to anyone looking for quick, tasty barbeque without a lot of frills.

• Visited August 2013
South Carolina
“Probably Won't Return”
Reviewed August 16, 2013

I moved to Wilson three years ago and kept hearing from everyone about how great Parker's was and that I needed to try it. Finally tried it this past week. HORRIBLE. While the flounder tasted "o.k.," it was way too heavily breaded. The barbecue, though, that they are so famous for was terrible. It was almost tasteless - with just a hint of something sour tasting. It was just a pile of fiber. Very little offered in the way of sauces. And for the flounder, when I asked for a tartar sauce, they served little packets of store bought stuff. A restaurant that has pride - will make their own sauces. (I'm even wondering if they make their own barbecue!) As far as sides go: the green beans were way overcooked and tasteless. The Brunswick Stew was served as a side (stupid idea) and it was also tasteless. They serve these things called "corn sticks" - which are their version of hushpuppies - and a VERY BAD version at that. They were hard as a rock and stale. The wait staff was unfriendly. The check out counter person just took the money - didn't try to engage in conversation at all. Atmosphere was pitiful. I felt like livestock going to the feed bin. They show no pride in their establishment or their food; and no care for their customers. Don't bother. (Oh, and the men's restroom was filthy.)

• Visited August 2013