“unpleasant experience”

Ranked #3 of 17 Hotels in Wilson
Morristown, New Jersey
“unpleasant experience”
Reviewed April 7, 2013

I am writing this review just after checking in to this hotel at 1:30 in the morning after a long day of driving. I made my reservation earlier this evening from my ipad after reading several positive reviews on Tripadvisor. About twenty minutes before arriving I passed a large billboard on I-95 advertising a walk-in rate of $79.99 a night after I had just confirmed a rate of $117. When I inquired about the rate at check-in , I was told...surprise, surprise...that it would not have applied anyway....there are "exclusions". I commented that that was a pretty cheap trick since no one driving 65 miles an hour on the interstate would be able to read the fine print that mentions exclusions. The desk clerk than told me that she knew nothing about a $79 rate....someone had once told her they saw an $89 rate advertised on a billboard but she knew nothing anout it because...and I am quoting her..."I travel locally. I don't see billboards.". Too tired to argue, I took my key and returned to my car for my bags. As I returned, I LOOKED UP TO SEE A LARGE SIGN ON THE OUTSIDE OF THE BUILDING ADVERTISING THAT $79 RATE!!!

I do not understand why an apparently well-run motel chain would have to resort to slimy advertising strategies that can only leave customers who actually book ahead feeling like they are getting ripped off. I do not understand why The so- called exclusions were not offered to me in writing, and I certainly do not understand why I would be lied to by an employee....unless of course, that employee walks to work from behind the building!!

I probably spend 30-50 nights a year in chain motels of this type but this is my first stay at a Country Inn. The room is spacious, clean, and nicely decorated BUT I do not enjoy feeling like I have been made a fool of, and I do not o to be a return guest!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
cx_winc, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Wilson, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to complete a guest satisfaction review.

On behalf of our entire staff at Country Inns & Suites we apologize for the concerns you shared about your experience at this hotel. We do have billboards and a banner advertising a "Special Walk-In Rate" of $79.99 with an exclusion that states "may exclude weekends, holidays and special events" in large letters directly under the rate. The disadvantage of this rate, when we are honoring it, is that we do not take reservations based on this rate. It is first come, first serve with a limited number of rooms offered at that rate. I apologize that this was not communicated to you in a more professional manner. I have addressed your concerns with our front desk team in an effort to ensure a similar situation does not occur again in the future.

Country Inn & Suites
252-281-5501

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Adamstown, Maryland
Reviewed March 29, 2013

We booked this hotel after reading good reviews with the intent of a few hours of swimming for the kids and a good night's sleep. After a lot of research I booked it through Travelocity as what I thought was the lowest rate. Don't do it! The walk-in rate was $20 cheaper than that and they would not switch it since I booked through a third party. We were at least happy they had a few cookies left at the desk. We got changed into our swimsuits and were looking forward to relaxing. There was a sign on the door to the pool that the hot tub was broken. This was particularly frustrating since I actually thought to call ahead the day before and ask if the pool area was functioning and was told it was! The pool was approximately the size of six of my garden tubs from home and when my boys jumped in they immediately said "ewwwww"!!! There was hair, food and spit floating all throughout the pool! They were out and wanting a shower in 5 minutes! We snuggled in for the night but woke up with headaches. The pillows are honestly the worst we've ever experienced, uncomfortably firm and unyielding. The breakfast area had great choices, very vast, and what we did eat was good, but when we went down at 9 almost everything was out or almost out and not being replaced unless you asked. When my son asked for a donut at 9:31 (literally) he was told breakfast ended at 9:30. Just no heart. Our bathroom was not very clean. That's probably enough to alert you. We just did not have a good experience.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
cx_winc, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Wilson, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
I am sorry that you have concerns about your experience at the Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Wilson, NC hotel. Although it is never pleasant to hear when a guest is not satisfied with his or her experience, we do need to be aware of these situations. I will be sharing your comments with hotel staff during our upcoming meetings as a learning tool to help us improve our performance and provide exceptional service to our guests. We want to be able to provide our guests with the best service possible, and feedback from our guests helps us to achieve that goal.
Moyock, North Carolina
Reviewed March 23, 2013

Stayed here for 14 weeks for training. The staff was great and very nice. I never had a problem with any of my rooms, they were always cleaned and nice. This was back in 2010. My family and I stayed here in 2011 on our way back from Florida. When I checked in I was able to upgrade at no cost. My wife was pleased by the way we were treated at checkin and how the rooms were clean and beds comfortable. Close to I-95 exit and a Cracker Barrel. Would stay here again when in the area.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
cleveland
Reviewed March 20, 2013

The staff was very friendly, from the desk clerk to the housekeeping staff. The entire hotel was very ,very clean. I was having difficulty getting the computer printer to work and one of the housekeepers took time out of her busy schedule to look into it and actually corrected the problem. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
Reviewed January 25, 2013

I stayed here Jan 25, 2013. made reservation from the parking lot, took less than 2 minutes to check in. Also they gave me a discount for AAA. When I got to my room I was so happy! big room with 2 beds, a sofa chair, desk, and flat screen. AND ITS CLEAN, like clean- clean...I checked around because I have high standards. I hear they have a heated indoor pool and hot tub, but I am too tired to swim. Also free fast wifi, and breakfast. WINNING

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Waxhaw, North Carolina
Reviewed January 11, 2013

We stayed over nite at this hotel on our return from Florida, 2 adults 3 kids. What a wonderful staff, very courteous and helpful. We arrived to find a VERY clean room, comfortable beds and most of all quiet though out. The breakfast in the morning was just what we needed to get ourselves up and out for continuation back to NJ. Highly recommended. This chain of hotels has become our favorite as we also stayed in another location in Lumberton en route to Florida.

Room Tip: If your traveling with kids request a suite, provides more room.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Sudlersville, MD
Reviewed January 5, 2013

I made a reservation at this hotel, then had car trouble before I could get there. I stopped at the Country Inns and Suites in Goldsboro, NC and called the Wilson Country Inns and Suites. I tried to transfer the reservation but couldn't. That is not why I am giving it one star. The first person I spoke with asked me to hold. The second person I spoke with "Nevada" wouldn't listen to me and kept talking over top of me, saying the same thing over and over. When she finally stopped and I began to explain and ask her if the reservation could be transferred she started again in a very loud, rude, condescending voice "I cannot help you. I cannot change or cancel a reservation. I cannot help you. I cannot change or cancel a reservation. I cannot help you. I cannot change or cancel a reservation." Each time getting louder and more patronizing. I wouldn't stay at this hotel after that, even if the room is free. After reading the reviews on here, I see one constant across the board--customers are dissatisfied with the front desk and the attitude of the front desk employees. I know exactly what they are talking about. The general manager or owner should take another look at who they're hiring and make a change.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Bonchel
cx_winc, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Wilson, responded to this review, January 18, 2013
On behalf of our entire staff at Country Inns & Suites we apologize for the concerns you shared about your experience with our hotel. We are working diligently to correct these issues and I am grateful that you brought them to my attention. I sent an email to you on 1/15/13 advising that the full No Show fee has been refunded as well as extending you additional points for your inconvenience.

Please accept our apology and we hope to see you again when your travels bring you back to the area. If you would like to discuss your experience further, please don't hesitate to contact me directly at the phone number listed below.

Country Inn & Suites