“Nice place with easy access to I 95”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Wilson
Ranked #4 of 17 Hotels in Wilson
Orlando
“Nice place with easy access to I 95”
Reviewed November 25, 2012

Just stayed at Country Inn and Suites while driving from Outer Banks to Florida. The hotel is clean and very inexpensive. Nice continental breakfast in the morning. The walls are very thin though so if you are a light sleeper, this might not beth place for you. I did not enjoy listening to my neighbor's tv while they watched the Notre Dame game. Only other disappointment was the computer in the Business Services office was not working and I had hoped to print something from my email. Other than that, good place for an overnight.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Pearland, Texas
Reviewed November 16, 2012

We booked in to this hotel for two nights during our vacation in North Carolina. We chose it because we had stayed the night before at a Country Suites in Burlington, NC and it was wonderful. That just goes to show the importance of the local management because the Wilson hotel was a completely different experience.

The problem started the first morning when I tried to take a shower. The water was barely lukewarm and got colder before I was finished. When I went downstairs I asked about it and was told very matter-of-factly that they had two water heaters out of service. There was no apology or further explanation. I asked if the problem would be fixed by the next morning and was assured that they were working on it and it should be fine.

My partner showered in barely warm water as well. When we left for the day a couple of hours later I saw the maintenance man in the hall and asked him about the water heaters. He said he had adjusted the temperature but if that didn't work they would have to call a plumber because he was not able to do anything more than that. We stopped at the front desk and asked again about the problem. We also pointed out that my partner suffers from a condition that would be made much worse by having to take a cold shower the next day. The hotel manager was there and told us that they had a plumber working on it and hoped to have the problem fixed soon. She did offer to find us a room at another hotel but we said we would wait and see if the situation was fixed when we returned. (We didn't really want the nuisance of changing hotels and there were not many options anyway since the Little League World Series was taking place in Wilson that weekend.)

When we returned we checked and were told that "the plumbers are still working on it but they know what they are doing and will get it fixed." The next morning the water was cold. My partner ended up heating water and a washcloth in the microwave so she could take a sponge bath.

I called the front desk and complained. The representative said she could only offer us 20% off the bill. Again, there was no apology -- the attitude was "there's nothing we can do about it so why are you complaining?" I asked a few other guests if they had hot water. They said they didn't and they had been told by the front desk that "a water heater went out this morning." I informed them that the problem had been going on for at least two days and they were not getting the true story.

After checking out I called the corporate Customer Service number and reported the issue. Unfortunately, the Radisson company apparently leaves all such matters to the discretion of the local manager -- the same person who had told us they had a plumber working on the problem (We had discovered the second morning that no plumber had yet agreed to even look at the water heaters. The poor maintenance man had been calling every plumber he could find and was getting no help. He was the only staff person in the entire hotel who actually seemed to feel some sense of responsibility and concern for the problem.)

I got an email later that day from the manager. She basically said there was nothing she could have done differently and left it at that. I was left wondering a few things: 1. How long had the water heater problem really been going on? Was it really just two days or had it been getting gradually worse for a while? 2. Why lie to the guests about the extent of the problem? 3. How were they addressing the various hygiene issues related to the lack of hot water? How did they clean the bathrooms, kitchen implements (pitchers, urns, etc.), linens? 4. Why wasn't the manager taking personal responsibility for getting a qualified plumber on site to address the problem?

All in all, we were very disappointed in the whole experience. The overall staff attitude during our stay was very poor. The front desk staff seemed to spend most of their time on the telephone with what appeared to be personal calls. The rest of the staff seemed bored, unhappy, and grumpy.

I certainly do not recommend this hotel. There are several other options in Wilson and I would urge anyone traveling there to try any one of those other places instead. I also would suggest that the Radisson folks re-consider their policy of deferring complaints to the local managers -- it seems to me to be kind of a "fox guarding the henhouse" approach.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Elizabeth L
cx_winc, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Wilson, responded to this review, November 24, 2012
Please accept my sincere apology for the issues you encountered during your stay at our hotel. We have worked diligently to have the hot water heaters repaired as quickly as possible. Unfortunately it took more time than we anticipated and was not able to be repaired the day we spoke as parts had to be ordered . I do understand your concerns about being given the wrong information by our front desk representative. She was not purposely being deceitful, she did not know the full details of what had already taken place. I would have been happy to find accommodations elsewhere for you and your companion to ensure you were both comfortable. We could not have predicted or prevented not one but two of our hot water heaters going out at the same time however we will continue to work to find ways to ensure this does not occur again in the future.

I have ensured that you did receive the discount you were offered before your time of check out. I hope you will accept our apology and that you will visit us again in the future.

Jennifer Jones
Country Inn & Suites
Wilson, NC
252-281-5501
Felton, California
Reviewed November 2, 2012

Just didnt feel like a real Country Inn. Noisier that other ones we have stayed in. Just didnt feel as comfortable. Nice touch with the departure goodie bag. OK breakfast. Staff didnt seem "happy to be there".

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank simon s
Wilson, North Carolina
Reviewed October 21, 2012

I've stayed at the competitors in the local area and none of them give me the complete satisfaction of this hotel. The location is awesome, the property is really nice, the rooms are roomy and clean. The breakfast was awesome every morning thanks to Mrs "Gladys Hall". Whatever you do, you have to experience her calm personality and desire to satisfy your needs. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone passing thru. You will be more than satisfied with this property and staff.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Bloomingburg, NY
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Stayed here on our way back from Florida. When we arrived, we received the room location I requested however, there was some hair in the shower. Looked like the shower wasn't cleaned at all. When I phoned the front desk, they were apologetic and offered me another room or a discount.
In the morning, the breakfast was great. French toast, waffles, bacon, very extensive selection.

In my opinion, it was a mistake on the cleaning crew since everything else was perfect. The room was very nice. I would recommend this hotel when traveling through.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Allenhurst, Georgia
Reviewed August 31, 2012

I've stayed at several Country Inn and Suites, and this has been the best! Great customer service, beautiful rooms and great breakfast! Would definitely recommend staying here and their walk in special was icing on the cake!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed August 14, 2012

I've stayed in quite a few Country Inn & Suites, Wilson NC is by far the best one yet. Comfortable, clean, extra amenities e.g. a very nice laundry bag. The property, just off I95 is very convenient especially for travelers from northern states headed for southern beaches. The Inn was completely full the night I stayed in July 2012.

I checked Excellent on restaurant and room service because the program wouldn't let me continue without a check, BUT there is no restaurant ON the property and I didn't use any room service which I don't think exists either.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo