“The Place to Stay in Wilmington”
Review of Taylor House Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Wilmington
Taylor House Inn
Ranked #2 of 18 Wilmington B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 22, 2013

Taylor House Inn Bed and Breakfast is on a quiet brick paved street, just off Market Street (the main east-west thoroughfare), in the historic portion of downtown Wilmington. This beautiful and historic house was built in 1905. Soothing classical music greets you upon entering the house. It gets you in the mood for a delightful stay. Scott cheerfully welcomes you to the establishment. He wants your stay in Wilmington to be a memorable one thus he is ready to offer restaurant suggestions, antique shops to visit, etc. Maps and tourist information are readily available in the lobby area.
After my husband and I told Scott we are very familiar with Wilmington, he took us up to the Love Room. It is a large, bright, sunny room with a King-size bed and a private bathroom. There are many windows to let the morning sun in. Beautiful antique pieces of furniture adorn the room. There was no television in the Love Room, but this was no problem as we were here to escape the noises of our Monday-Friday lives. Our king size bed was very comfortable. The bathroom had a claw foot tub / shower. Most people would not care or notice the toilet in a bathroom, but this one was special. Our toilet was 130 years old. There was a lever with the word, flush, on it. The lever was rather unusual to see in 2013. The room was huge and we felt that it was fantastic, especially for the rate we paid.
Scott and Karen have done a lovely job of decorating this 108 year old home. The house is full of beautiful antique furniture. The chairs, sofas and love seats are comfortable to sit. There are two rooms to sit in downstairs, making it a nice place to have a bottle of wine. A front porch with two rocking chairs is a delightful place to spend some time. There is a huge oak tree in front of the house that makes the porch a great place to rock away.
Coffee is put in the hallway every morning at 8:00. Hot water is always available for your tea. Since we are early risers, we wish there was coffee available a bit earlier in the morning. At 9:00, everyone has their breakfast in the dining room with lit candles on the table. Scott starts you off with fresh fruit. There is his special juice that everyone just raves about. We will not tell you what types of fruit juices are in it as you will be pleasantly surprised by the answer. After the fruit, comes a hot breakfast. While we were there, we had pancakes and sausage one morning, and on the next morning it was homemade French toast.
It had been a long time since we were in Wilmington due to a lousy experience at an expensive bed and Breakfast. Due to our experience this past weekend and the short walk to the Cape Fear River, Taylor House Inn Bed and Breakfast will be where we stay.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
scottiejay04, Owner at Taylor House Inn, responded to this reviewResponded April 28, 2013

Thank you for your review. We are so honored to be a destination worth remembering and revisiting.

Reviewed April 15, 2013

The Taylor house is simply amazing. I really don't have any words to describe it past that. All of the rooms are immaculately furnished with period antiques. There are claw foot tubs in the bathrooms. The library is very extensive. By far, the best part of the Taylor house is Scott and Karen. They are not just owners of the Bed and Breakfast but truly become friends. I will return to the Taylor house even if I find something less expensive in Wilmington, simply because of Scott and Karen’s hospitality.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 13, 2013

I have stayed at the Taylor House on two different occasions, and have been thoroughly amazed each time. Scott, the proprietor of the house, and his family, have established a warm and inviting atmosphere with elements of history and character not often seen on other Beds and Breakfast, and I have stayed at many in my travels of the past 40 odd years.

The historic feel of a time in Wilmington long past is brought alive throughout the house with antique fixtures and furnishings, southern hospitality, and a genuine care for the clientele. It is like, as much as possible, stepping back to a time when life was lived with friends and family, about town or in the home.

Historic Wilmington, and its many fine restaurants, attractions, and festivals, is just a short walk from the house. Scott’s recommendations of restaurants, menus and sights have proven spot on for everything, each and every time we asked.

If you relish the feel of home brought on with by hospitality and a pace of life that is more yesteryear than next year, we recommend you stop in and see Scott. He is there most everyday with an apron on in the morning as he cooks one of the most amazing breakfasts in Wilmington.

Max and Liz

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 5, 2013 via mobile

I have stayed in many B&Bs and this one was truly a wonderful historic wonder. Although there were issues with the toilets flushing and running afterwards, that can be expected with old house plumbing. There was no television and spotty wireless but when you are taking time off, that could be a plus but people need to be aware. Our host, Scott, can appear rather opinionated and I can see why some people may feel a lack of warmth and acceptance due to his approach. He suggested a restaurant and we ended up going to more casual place to dine and when we told him later, he almost acted offended that we did not adhere to his suggested restaurant. I don't let people influence my choices so I just told him it was great and that the other restaurant would remain on my to do list. Overall, the house was lovely, peaceful, and a great splurge for me and my family. I do feel Scott would benefit more if he included his wife in hosting (never met her or saw her) and I wonder if this is an enjoyable thing for him and his wife. You have to be accepting of all types of people and their style of relaxation. Respect goes both ways. There are great inns in this area and again this one was one of the most lovely houses in the area.

• Stayed: March 2013
scottiejay04, Owner at Taylor House Inn, responded to this reviewResponded April 6, 2013

We are always glad to hear feedback from our guests, unfortunately, some of these issues could have been corrected during your stay or prior to your leaving the inn. During the "walk about" upon arriving at the inn, guests are informed at least three times, if they have any problems to please come down and knock at the door to the left of the fireplace in the dining room. This is also stated in your welcoming letter that sits on every fireplace mantle in all of our guests rooms. If guests chose not to come down and let us know of a problem or an issue, how then are we able to fix it?
Yes, granted there is old plumbing in the house that was built in 1905 and sometimes it can be
stubborn and will not always cooperate, but if there was an issue, all one had to do was come down and inform us. We market ourselves as a "getaway" destination; getaway from the phone, the kids, the television, the computer, work, etc, for those that need televisions, we have three rooms that are televison equiped with cable. With regard to spotty wireless; this is a first since we had a new router installed last Fall. Sometimes the cable will go out for some uncontrollable reason, but again, if we are not made aware of the situation, then how can we fix it?
When a guest informs me that they want a "good seafood restaurant" to dine at, with three high school children in tow, I automatically think of a casual eatery overlooking the Cape Fear River.
Later in the evening, when I asked how dinner was; I was simply taken aback because the place they ate at was a bar. I appologize for my look, I am sure it was more of surprise rather than offense.
During the course of your one night stay, we had plans to go out, which we had informed the guests upon arrival. We were out for two hours. We came home and my wife went to bed and slept in the following morning seeing that we only had four for breakfast. Having been in the business for over sixteen years, I have found that most guests are not interested in meeting the workers of the inn; they would rather go to their room and enjoy their stay at their own leisure. Working with the General Public is not an easy thing to do, but over the course of the years; I have learned to respect all guests that come and stay here at the inn.
Respect is a two way thing and it is a given that some guests will want and expect more, whereby others are far more easy to please, that is part of working with the General Public.
I am sorry that some guests are not as happy with their stay as others, but had the lines of communication been open during their stay, these issues could have been resolved or an attempt to make your stay more pleasureable could have been made.
Again, thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

Once again we have returned from the perfect minivacation at the Taylor House Inn. The accomodations are comfortable, the breakfasts excellent, and the host gracious. We always return to work with our batteries recharged.

Room Tip: The biggest room is "Love," but our first stay was in the smaller "Tranquility,"...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank FaisonLevity
Reviewed March 3, 2013

This is only the 2nd time we've been to a B&B, and the first to a historic home. We were very pleased with the hospitality and the staff that kept at a distance unless we needed them. It was a tad cold in the house, but we came in March and expected that in an old house. The beds are incredibly comfortable and elegant. My favorite parts of the house were the bedrooms, parlor with the library and stained glass. I felt like I was swept away to another time period. Highly recommended and we'll hopefully return.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Rebecca S
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Our recent 3-night stay at the Taylor House Inn was wonderful. It is an immaculately preserved 1905 home, with stained glass, ornate woodwork, an original Victorian bathroom, and full of beautiful antiques and well-tended plants. Scott's breakfasts were delightful and his dining recommendations were top-notch. The inn is quiet, rooms are private, ample in size and comfortably furnished. We found the free Wifi and a refrigerator outside the door to be convenient. Double parlors and an expansive front porch allow for relaxing and enjoying the numerous games and books. The historic downtown is easily accessible and the waterfront is just a few blocks away. We would love to return to this charming sanctuary.

Room Tip: Check for mid-week and off-season specials
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple