“Oh so bad”

Ranked #40 of 44 Hotels in Wilmington
Salem, Indiana
“Oh so bad”
Reviewed May 20, 2013

After our disasterous night at the Days Inn across the street, we decided to try this motel across the street, mainly for the 0 pet deposit, which I will say is the only good thing I have to say about this establishment. When I opened the door to the first room they gave us, a strong, nasty, gagging smell of a dirty diaper hit us square in the face...so much that a person walking by also was alarmed. When I reported this, they did give us another room in a different part of the motel, the older dirtier part. Why most motels have to put their pet owner tenants in the worst part of the motel is truly beyond me. The room smelled of mold, the blankets had burn holes, the tub faucet had parts missing, and homeless people in the parking lot. As there were no coffee machines in the room, my husband went to the lobby for their continental breakfast and a cup of coffee. NONE in the coffee machines. He went back to the lobby 3 different times and still NO coffee...he finally had to bring it up with the staff. I reported our terrible treatment to the powers that be at Red Roof Inn, and I did get an apology and a full refund for our stay, which is why I'm giving 2 stars instead of 1. On the whole, Wilmington is a terrible place for a pet owner to find a motel...you either get this nasty room or have to pay up to $50 A NIGHT for a deposit for dogs. Both I find deplorable.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Mebane
Reviewed May 17, 2013

I have no idea how their Tripadvisor rating is 3.5. Another recent review of this location is correct (terrible). I had never stayed at a Red Roof before and NEVER WILL AGAIN. Our group had several rooms booked that evening. One room had food and hair in the bed sheets and dirty linen in the sleeper sofa. Another room had dirty towels left hanging behind the door. Another room's bathroom floor was wet upon arrival. Rooms had cigarette burns in the comforters; comforters that looked 20 years old. Mold in the bathrooms. Insufficient stock of towels in rooms. Cigarette smell in room upon entering. Shady characters roaming the sidewalks outside the rooms. All exterior doors leaving one feeling very unsafe. Continental breakfast was the bare minimum; most opted to go next door to Dunkin Donuts instead. Have no idea how they are still in business. Stay here at your own risk.

Room Tip: Don't choose any of them.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank RH4_777
Columbus
Reviewed May 16, 2013

I feel bad writing this review but I have to be honest and warn others NOT to stay here. I've never been so grossed out in a hotel room. Stains on the floor, burn holes in the sheets, outdated rooms and sketchy people in the parking lot. The positives were that we were able to have our dogs in the room and that the manager gave us some of our money back after I gave them a negative review. Sorry! I'd stay somewhere else if I were you.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Albemarle, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed May 13, 2013

When my family and I arrived at the Red Roof Inn, we questioned it. Then we got our Keys and shockingly the rooms were very nice. But most of all the staff were great. The manger had no problems making us feel right at home Jack was his name I do believe. shot out to you my aunt is still talking about how cool and funny you were. Then their was a Ms. Andrea, and Krystle who keep a smile and didn't mind giving a hand.Shot Out to you Lady's much love (thanks) my little short mom says Hi,...and oh yes I saved the best for last. The night manager at the Red Roof Inn is like the best, if you need anything he is like all over it fast... and if your hungry he keeps plenty of the local restaurants info and discounts on hand. James your my dude thanks for everything you and your staff has done for the Baker family. We had fun....! If you enjoy good down home real people stay at the Red Roof Inn In Wilmington, N.C. on Market St.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 21, 2013 via mobile

We've stayed here before while visiting Wilmington. However the last two stays were better. What made it different? Jack and Tora. Jack especially is on his game as far as customer service. He gets it. He went over and beyond to make our stay comfortable. We definitely will stay here again. Also the updated rooms are a major plus.

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank Laymari
Roswell
Reviewed April 4, 2013

They have really cleaned up their act here. The only thing better than the staff are the improvements. They always had a great breakfast and still do.

I have been staying here since it became a Red Roof and it was getting a bit dicey over the years to the point that last time I got a knock at my door at 2 and 3 am and the desk attendant just said "that happens" and would do nothing. That desk agent was the exception, most will and have gone out of their way for you and still do.
Keep up the good work.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Mitch P
Edenton, North Carolina
Reviewed March 31, 2013

I do not understand the mentality of chains that prohibit pets from staying in their rooms; I don't know anybody who would travel with a pain-in-the-neck dog, so why can't they set aside a dozen or so rooms for dog people? As of this writing, there is no longer a Motel 6 in Wilmington, and the local Super 8, a chain which has previously allowed my dog every other place we've ever visited, had a policy against pets. But the clerk recommended this Red Roof Inn, and I am very grateful that he did; the room had a new fridge and a microwave, very clean rooms (excluding two miscellaneous screws the housekeeper had left on the bedspread), and surprisingly quiet, even though we were placed in a room close to market street. the floors were wooden/ parquet and so inside the room, *we* sounded loud (!) but it did not amplify any outside noises. The clerk was friendly, despite the fact it was after 11 when we finally arrived, and the hotel lobby was large and clean and non-threatening. But if you want something for breakfast besides cold cereal and muffins, get there before 9, apparently or they may run out.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple