“An OKAY stay for a night or two.”

Red Roof Inn Wilmington
Ranked #41 of 44 Hotels in Wilmington
Jacksonville, North Carolina
“An OKAY stay for a night or two.”
Reviewed November 15, 2012

My husband and I booked a non-smoking, superior king room for one night before arriving. It took about 10 minutes to get checked in because only one computer was working, there were two people ahead of me, and one of the desk attendants wanted to carry on a conversation. The lobby and outside area were clean though from what I seen. We got our keys, unlocked our hotel door, walked in, and was unpleasantly surrounded by a nasty pet urine odor. Not sure how they miss it when they clean the room, but it's very noticeable. But you get used to it... unfortunately. There's not many visible plug-in outlets, so I had to pull the nightstands and couch out from the wall to see if there were any behind them. When pulling one of the nightstands out, there was a huge, dead black bug on the floor on its back-side. I just pushed the nightstand back in. When pulling the couch out, there was a Twix candy wrapper laying on the floor (may be the reason for the bug.) The cable quality is poor. There is a big crack at the bottom of the door that let's the highway noise and air in. People are very loud in the parking lot, stairway, and on the balcony when coming and going (men in particular.) My honest opinion, if I were to stay in Wilmington again, it wouldn't be here. It would be at a hotel that doesn't allow pets so there's no urine odors and isn't as close to the highway as this hotel is.

Room Tip: There's not really a good room. Not unless you get one in the very back so the highway traffic i...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mercedesss_XOXO
james w, Manager at Red Roof Inn Wilmington, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to fill out a review. I want to apologize for the service shortcoming you experienced during your stay. Please call me directly so that i can discuss your stay further. I appreciate your business and look forward to having you back at the hotel. Regards, James Wylie

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
West End, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed October 15, 2012

I love that Red Roof Inns are pet friendly. I travel with Great Danes to dog shows mostly. I am happy to stay in a basic hotel that is clean and reasonably priced. I take care that my dogs are well behaved, don't abuse the room and don't bother other guests. I always pick up after my dogs outdoors (and more people who travel with pets should pick up after their dogs...even little ones). I appreciate having a place to stay with pets. This Red Roof in Wilmington, NC was very nice. Very basic accommodations, but clean and tidy. The staff was friendly. I had no problems during my stay that needed attending. The one criticism I would make is they need to get up to date with flat screen t.v.'s. The one I had was very old style...Overall, the stay was great, the room was clean, the dogs and I got a good night's sleep...and bonus, there was a Dunkin Donuts across the parking lot!! <Smile>

Room Tip: Lots of area to walk a dog!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
james w, Manager at Red Roof Inn Wilmington, responded to this review, October 17, 2012
Thank you for filling out a survey and staying at the Red Roof Inn, Wilmington, NC. I am happy you took advantage of all of the benefits that the Red Roof Inn Wilmington, NC offers. It's location and service makes the Red Roof Inn, Wilmington, NC, one of the finest hotels in Wilmington, NC.
Playas del Coco, Costa Rica
Reviewed September 11, 2012

We stayed just one night with no booking: Kyle checked us in, showed us our room beforehand and was extremely helpful and courteous. He gave us the best rate possible and great advise on where to dine, Hyeronimus, just nextdoor. Good directions to downtown, average breakfast. We were definitely satisfied.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
james w, Manager at Red Roof Inn Wilmington, responded to this review, October 7, 2012
Thank you for staying at The Red Roof. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and I look forward to meeting you on your next return. Thank you again for your feedback. I will be sure to pass the good words on to Kyle!
Madrid, Spain
Reviewed September 6, 2012

We called to book when on the road and booked only one night, though considering two. However, the room was really not clean enough to stay another night. Bathroom had grimy corners, the room did really not look clean, and the outside hallways were very dirty, with garbage stacked up by the vending machines. The breakfast was not good (frozen bagels, packaged muffins, etc.) nor well-maintained; of course, the guy at the front desk had to do double duty and cover replenishing the breakfast things as well as covering the front desk, which doesn't help. He did replenish the bagels promptly when asked (of course, they were still frozen then...) A little girl spilled cornflakes all over the outside steps up to the second floor, and they were there for hours. My husband and daughter took a quick swim, and said the pool was fine. My overall impression was that the hotel is simply not well run or maintained.

Room Tip: It sounds like maybe some rooms have been renovated; perhaps asking would mean you could get somethi...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank DebbieGr
Thank you for staying at The Red Roof. I want to apologize for the service shortcomings you experienced during your stay and will be sharing your comments with my team. Please call me directly so that I can discuss with you in more detail about your stay. I look forward to speaking with you.

Travelers are raving about these Wilmington hotels

Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed September 3, 2012

Normally, I never write reviews, but this was just so bad I wanted to warn others. I saw that they had bad reviews, but from what the manager and other customers posted, they said it was under construction and they were striving to improve (yeah right!) So I thought I would give the manager the benefit of the doubt and book a room for the weekend. I knew $70 was not going to give us a 5 start hotel, but I did think we were going to at least recieve a clean room!

I’ll start with the good because it’s a very short list: pets stay for free, location is pretty good and the beds were surprisingly comfortable.

Now the bad: There is so much I’ll just walk you through my whole experience from the start. Check in is at 3pm and we arrived around 2:50, and they would not allow us to check in until 3! I understand it was only a 10 minute wait, but it’s more about the principle that they would not let us check in until 3 pm on the dot. We waited our 10 minutes and made our way up the stairs. The outside trash cans were over flowing with people junk (PS3 box, beer box, and etc.), this trash stayed there and grew from Friday at 3 until midmorning on Sunday (gross). Someone spilled a chocolate shake on the walkway and down the stairs on Saturday morning and it was still there we left on Sunday!

Now for our room: first reaction was, ok not bad, but once we made our way through the room we decided we should try to find another hotel (we couldn’t). It smelled of heavy smoke, even though it was a non-smoking room. The carpets were discussing and it looked like they have never been cleaned. I refused to walk on it with bare feet. I opened the refrigerator to cool down some waters and the smell was like nothing I have ever smelted before (I did even bother to use the microwave because I was scared of what I would find). The sofa was DISGUSTING, there were stains and rips everywhere! The bathroom vanity has seen some better days. The weird part was the hair dryer was pulled from the wall and just sitting on the vanity. Something that can be easily fixed in just a couple of minutes and yet they would just rather leave it laying around for customers to deal with.

Now the really horrible and scary part, the bathroom! The toilet handle was broken, I had to push it against the toilet then hold it down for a minute or so just to get it to flush. The maids left an empty roll of toilet paper, not that I can’t change it myself, but shouldn’t they take care of that? The bathtub/shower was FULL of mold. Again, it is an easy fix because it was just in the chalking. But again they chose to leave gross and disgusting mold for the customers. I do no think they cleaned the tub from the last customers because there were still soap or shampoo residue (like if a shampoo bottle fell and splattered shampoo everywhere). Also, there were glow in the dark stars in the toliet and bathroom (not too sure about that one?)The tub faucet was lose (I could pull it away from the wall) and was constantly dripping. It has been leaking for so long that it left rust and water marks on the tub. The tub bar, to pull yourself up from the tub, wasn’t even screwed all the way into the wall! I was so grossed out with the tub that I refused to step in it with bare feet. So, I used the wash cloths like shower shoes, and the gross part was that the cloths turned black from the tub!! I refused to use their towels after seeing the wash cloths turn black, so luckily we had some beach towels I used instead.

The overall experience was just AWFUL! If we could have found a different hotel, we would have left within 5 minutes. I have never wanted to go home on a vacation so fast!! I will NEVER stay here again nor will I recommend it to anyone! There is more disappointment on my list, but these were the major complaints. Now that I know the area better, I now know there are SO much better places to stay then here.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Traverse City, Michigan, United States
Reviewed August 21, 2012

Brian helped us to find the best rate possible, which we really appreciated! The hotel is in a perfect location and was very comfortable. The continental breakfast needs to be improved upon, however it is nice to have a Waffle House right next door! Thanks for a great stay! We will be back! Terri from Traverse City, Michigan

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Terri1987
Thank you for the your feedback and I am happy you enjoyed your stay. I am glad that you were able to use our great location. I will defintely pass the comments onto Brian, our GSR. I Thank you for your business.I look forward to your next visit.
Reviewed August 18, 2012

Brian helped save us a lot of money when we booked our stay so talk to him when you book! The only thing that could use a little help was the free breakfast, but there's a waffle house right next door so it's not a big deal. This is a great place with nice staff and clean, nice rooms.

• Stayed July 2012