“Excellent Location, far from impressive hotel”

Baymont Inn & Suites Wilmington
Ranked #32 of 44 Hotels in Wilmington
Raleigh, NC
“Excellent Location, far from impressive hotel”
Reviewed July 4, 2011

I guess you get what you pay for, but...

The lobby has a distinct smell of urine. The rooms are small. The shower head was full of hard water stains. The carpet was plain nasty, we couldn't walk on it without flip flops or socks. You have to ask them to change the sheets or they only do it every 3 days. The second floor is for people with pets. And I don't mean sexy beach bum girls with lap dogs. There were people with 40 and 50 pound dogs! If we had known that we wouldn't have stay there.

If you keep your home clean, this place is truly unacceptable. However, if you are okay with dirt you will love it. Oh...and we ran out of towels, and they told us we had to wait an hour because they were in the wash. REALLY?

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank NC2NJNBackAgain

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Reviewed June 11, 2011

I want to start out by saying that I wasn't expecting this to be a 5 star upper scale hotel, but for $90/night, I DID expect it to be clean. The first room we went in had dog hair all in both beds and in the floor. The pillow cases had black shoe prints on them. The room also felt wet, something I had seen in other reviews. This may have just been the humidity made from the air conditioner running, but it made the room uncomfortable. My friend is very allergic to animal dandruff, so there was no way to stay in that room. The girl at the desk who was VERY sweet and apologetic gave us another room. This room had that same dampness, that I was going to overlook, however I couldn't ignore the urine on the toilet seat. It was obvious that someone had used the room after it had been cleaned. The same girl gave us a refund and apologized profusely. The customer service was the only positivething I can say for this hote! We went down to the Wingate for &30 more, well worth it!

• Stayed June 2011
2 Thank StephP1121
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed June 6, 2011

I first noticed the friendliness and cleanliness of the hotel. They have a sanitation grade of 100 which you rarely see at hotels. The location was nice-easy access to beach and downtown. Located near lots of shopping areas. Continental breakfast was good and very well organized. Eating area was very clean. Bathroom area kind of small but it was very clean! The only thing I did not like was the carpet could have used more cleaning and once saw a waterbug on the floor. I definitely will be staying at this hotel again. Overall--I would recommend .

Room Tip: Recommend!
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed May 10, 2011

We were very pleased with our stay. The room was clean, and the furnishings were up to date and comfortable. The breakfast area was nice and I could not have asked for a better breakfast. There was an excellent variety of foods and drinks available. To top it off, we left our room and headed to check out. When my husband went to the checkout desk, the maid had called down to report that I had left a pair of shoes, so he was able to go back up to retrieve them. Great, great service! If we head back to Wilmington, we'd definitely stay again!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Bronx, New York
Reviewed November 12, 2010

Me and my husband went to Wilmington North Carolina a few days ago. We stayed at Baymont Inn. Wilmington NC was GREAT! Location of hotel was GREAT! Outback steakhouse right next door. Close to all of restaurants and near local beaches. Staff was very friendly! Did not like that you had to walk outside the hotel to get to your room. They didn't really have a restaurant it was like a breakfast nook. The free high speed internet was on the slow side. Room was clean but not very cozy. I am not a very picky person but in the bathroom there was a dead bug on the floor! So i dont know if the cleaning staff is very good? The best part about the hotel is the location. It's a good stay for a night or two but not 3 or 4! All and all I would stay at the comfort Inn down the road looks much nicer!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Erie, Pennsylvania
Reviewed October 19, 2010

This was our first visit to Wilmington, North Carolina and we chose to stay at the Baymont. I had read some of the reviews and pondered if I had made the correct decision. Our Baymont choice was a truly wonderful experience. Upon entering a bright, clean, pleasant check-in area, we were greeted in a warm, welcoming, most accommodating manner and made to feel comfortable and 'at home'. The location is most convenient to any needs you might have while in Wilmington. In additon to being convenient, our rooms were bright, clean, neat, a very pleasant atmosphere. The staff went out of their way to be friendly, helpful, make you feel comfortable and welcomed. It was truly a pleasant experience.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed October 10, 2010

As a UNCW family, we stay at the Baymont Inn several times a year. Others' negative reviews notwithstanding, we have never had a bad experience. You cannot beat the price, especially in the off-season. We always request a third-floor room (no smoking, no pets, interior hallways). We don't spend a lot of time in the smallish rooms and are generally looking to just have a place to sleep. They have a limited number of rooms with fridge and microwave, available upon request. The free, always-on hot beverages and the afternoon cookies make me feel as though I am coming home.

The staff has always been friendly and responsive. The free mostly-microwaveable breakfast is more than adequate unless you want eggs. It is the closest hotel to the UNCW campus and is within walking distance to lots of shopping and several restaurants (beware-- area is not pedestrian-friendly).

I have on occasion spent a half-day working in the room. The desk and chair are comfortable and the Wifi works great, especially on the side of the building facing the pool. We always fill out the emailed evaluations after our stay, and generally receive a personal reply from the manager.

The only negative issue I have ever encountered was that the mattress on the king size bed was tilted to one side enough to be noticeable. We were only staying one night on that trip so never had a chance to have the staff address it.

Great value if you are not looking for luxury.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple