“I would NOT stay here.”

Suburban Extended Stay of Wilmington
Ranked #25 of 45 Hotels in Wilmington
Reviewed July 11, 2013

While the front desk clerk was courteous and sweet...the rooms were awful.

It was as if the rooms had never been clean. There were roaches in the bathroom, and palmetto bugs near the kitchen. The counters of the efficiency were sticky and the cabinets were greasy and disgusting. I was afraid to open any of them for fear of more bugs.

The clerk was wonderful when I complained and quickly refunded my credit card. (Thank YOU).

Room Tip: This hotel needs a complete overhaul - not to mention a visit from Terminix
1  Thank sm0kin
seswilmington, General Manager at Suburban Extended Stay of Wilmington, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2013

We apologize for you seeing pametto bugs in the room. We have had some issues with us being an exterior hotel. I am not sure why your room was not cleaned as we usually compliements on our clean rooms. In this case we failed and we do apologize for this. We hope that one day you will give us another chance so that we can show you that is not normal for our hotel.

Reviewed July 6, 2013

The kitchen was well equipped, bed very comfortable we didn't wake up with back pain. Room was very clean and so was the bathroom. The shower head was high enough I didn't have to bend over to wash my hair and the water pressure was good. It was also easy to connect to the internet.

Room Tip: Just a word of warning if you stay at an extended stay be sure to was your dishes before you leave o...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Greta A
seswilmington, General Manager at Suburban Extended Stay of Wilmington, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2013

We would like to Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback from your most recent stay. Thank you for staying with us in Wilmington.

Reviewed July 5, 2013

It's sad to say but this is the first review I have ever written about anything (though we have always depended on reviews when making travel choices) but that should give you some indication about our experience. Though we are well traveled, we didn't expect much in a hotel down here at a cost of $80/night (we have stayed at the beach many times and paid 4/5 times that) but I wasn't at all prepared to feel unsafe. We booked this one night over this holiday weekend, as a last minute, surprise the kids, spend the day at the beach sort of thing. (Ironically it was also the first time I have not checked trip advisor before booking). I thought, "It can't be that bad." I was so wrong! This property was a colossal mistake.

I'd like to say in all fairness, the man at the front desk was truly great...friendly, professional, accommodating, put us in a room with 2 beds vs 1 and let us check in early. So I don't feel it's fair to include him in this review but the property itself is just terrible and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone much less a family with children.

The customers all around were sketchy. There is a small pool (that we didn't dare swim in) and there were several people swimming in their underwear. The doors to the rooms are outside (not opening to an interior corridor/hallway) and there were people hanging around, leaning over the railing, yelling, smoking right outside our door on the balcony type hallway that takes everyone to their room. Our room was non-smoking which makes me laugh since we had to walk past smokers and through a smoke plume to get to it. But the most disturbing part was when I woke up at 4 am because the people in the room next to us were so loud and I couldn't go back to sleep. I decided to quietly hang up the beach towels outside the door on the railing for a bit and at 4 am there were men standing out in the outdoor hallway, half dressed (I dressed to hang up towels - again funny) a young adult girl and older man were down below on the grassy area and there was clearly something creepy going on...meanwhile these men were standing out there as if it was 2 in the afternoon. This may not sound all that bad to you but all I can say is that it was a very unsafe, uneasy feeling I got staying here. One review said they would bring their 21 year old daughter here and all I can think to myself is there isn't a chance in h*** I'd let a 21 year old daughter of mine stay here EVER!

The room was chintzy and sparse, heavily worn, beat up, 2 towels, sandpaper toilet paper (seemingly unimportant but you get the picture) tiny table with 2 chairs, true double beds not queen size and forget decor of any kind. If I saw a roach here, like another review I just read stated, we would have been out of here in a nano second. We didn't see any 'visible' bugs but something tells me there are some here.

Suffice to say, I will never stay here again, will never recommend it to a soul (maybe even keep the fact that we stayed here under wraps), I will never book anything without checking trip advisor first and lastly will write reviews from here on out. Here's to hoping I never have write one like this again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Carrie P

Our hotel is not for everyone. We do have alot of Extended Stay guest which are people in the area that are working. When you made the reservation you made it for a room with one double bed handicapped room. When you arrived I noticed that you had more then two persons and I personally upgraded you to a two double bed room and never charged you the additonal $30.00 per night for the difference. We do not have rooms with two queen beds. We have rooms with only one queen bed. I am sorry you were not happy with our hotel and apologize if you didnt feel safe.

Reviewed June 28, 2013

Only stay here if you are ok with sharing your vacation with roaches...in the kitchen, in the bathroom, and yes, ON YOU IN BED. This is my third day here, and already we have killed abaout a dozen. Complained and they sent an exterminator...12 hrs later I wake up in the middle of the night to feel a roach crawling on my face....getting out of here ASAP.

2  Thank Kim C
seswilmington, General Manager at Suburban Extended Stay of Wilmington, responded to this reviewResponded July 3, 2013

We apologize for the problem you had with bugs while you were staying at our hotel. Due to the extremely wet weather and being a exterior hotel we have been having trouble with Water bugs (Palmetto Bugs). We have been working with the exterminators and have also did some work around the doors to keep them from entering the rooms. We do apologize and and assure you we are not a Roach motel.

Reviewed June 17, 2013

The place was full of cockroaches. It was dirty. The kitchen only had service for two in a room with two double beds. There were only two sets of towels and when we asked for more they wanted our room number. The toilet paper was the cheapest/worst I have ever seen. Do you really think you save money when it takes 5 times as much to get the job done? The beds were old and sagged in the middle. At least it was quiet.

Room Tip: Spend a little more and go for a better place.
4  Thank Goshawk12

We apologize for the problem you had with bugs while you were staying at our hotel. Due to the extremely wet weather and being a exterior hotel we have been having trouble with Water bugs (Palmetto Bugs). We have been working with the exterminators and have also did some work around the doors to keep them from entering the rooms. We do apologize and and assure you we are not a Cockroach Inn.

Reviewed June 14, 2013

Stayed for three nights. Room was super clean and didn't have a smokey smell, which surprised me. Near a Port City Java and convenient to the University area. Twenty minutes to Masonboro Island launch, Shark Tooth Island launch and 10 or less to Hugh MacRae park and Empie park...we were in Wilmington for pleasure.

We stayed on ground floor just beside the pool and that was our only mistake. Pool is open until 11pm and can get noisy in the evening. WiFi was also a little squiffy. Wilmington has some very friendly people and the staff here was a great example. Will definitely visit again and will stay at the 'Burban.

Room Tip: The place is shaped like an "L" so take a room on the back side for less road noise and aw...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family

We appreciate your comments and hope to see you back in the future.

Reviewed June 5, 2013

When ever I go to Wrightsville Beach this is the hotel I stay at. I have stayed with my husband and children and also with just my college age daughter and I feel very safe and comfortable here. When my daughter turns 21 and wants to go to the beach she will also be staying here ( she is actually looking forward to staying here). I have recommended this hotel to many people. My niece stayed here last week when she stayed at the beach because of my recommendation. I am actually coming back in a few weeks. Beach is easy to get to and restaurants are also close by. Hotel has always met my expectation concerning being clean ( both rooms, hotels and grounds) and I have never had an issue with noise like at other hotels. I would recommend this hotel to families and if your traveling alone with kids.

Room Tip: I would recommend the back side of the hotel, which is where the pool is located if traveling with k...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family

Thank You for staying with the Suburban Extended Stay hotel. We appreciate you taking the time to give us your feedback on your last stay in Wilmington. Thank you for staying and we hope to see you again soon.