“Was much better 4 years ago... but would still go again.”

Ghost Walk of Old Wilmington
Ranked #8 of 39 Tours in Wilmington
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Journey into the depths of old Wilmington on a 90-minute adventure to the city's most actively haunted homes & burial grounds. Hear eerie tales of ghostly occurrences including encounters during recent tours. Locally owned & operated. Over 25,000 tours conducted since 1999.
Cedar Falls, Iowa
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Was much better 4 years ago... but would still go again.”
Reviewed July 17, 2011

Four years ago, my husband and I went on the Ghost Walk and had a fabulous time. Our guide was both funny and informative. It was a great way to take in the sights and learn a little bit about Wilmington's spooky history.
Since each tour stops at different locations and tells different stories, we took it again this year thinking we would hear some new stories. We did for the most part. However, our guide was just horrible! He wasn't mildly funny or interesting. He gave a long history lesson on the places we saw and then would take less than two minutes to tell us about the ghost that haunts the location (almost as if it was an after thought). What's worse is he would lose focus and get side tracked. At one point he rambled on about how far the cell phone has come in 10 years! One story he told wasn't scary but he told it because it involved a dog and he loves animals. That started a 20 minute story about some guy and his dog.
I don't know if maybe the people who run these tours decided they would make more money by lengthening the stories and going to fewer spots so as to encourage you to take more tours to cover all the haunted spots in town or if we just got a bad storyteller.
Despite what I say in this review, it's a must see. You may have better luck. Wilmington is so rich in history, I encourage you to take the gamble and go one any of the tours offered in town. You'll learn at least one interesting fact and you'll be contributing to their economy and preserving their historic downtown.

Visited July 2011
1 Thank ChelleOA

Chicago
46 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 106 helpful votes
“It was something to do but it could have been better”
Reviewed June 9, 2011

I took this tour with some family and friends last summer. The guide was knowledgable about what was on the tour. The tours are split into groups... you don't have a choice as to what trip you will be on though. We visited 5 or 6 sites but none of it felt like a ghost walk. It appeared to be the same as a day walking tour of Wilmington. The guide could have gotten into the story telling a bit more and I think more of the tour takers would have been more interested. Some left the tour half way through because they did not feel as if they were getting their money's worth. I don't know that I would take the tour again with another group. There are other tours in Wilmington that are much better.

Visited August 2010
Cleveland, Ohio
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Fun Way to Spend an Evening with Friends”
Reviewed April 15, 2011

My best friend from college re-located to Wilmington a couple of years ago, so I've made it a point to visit this fun, cute little coastal town once or twice a year. He had heard about the Ghost Tours (and the Haunted Pub Tours) as soon as he moved there, but waited until a group of us were visiting to check it out.

Overall, it was a fun and interesting way to get to know the town. Our group had about 15 people, and it was a cool night. During one of the stops, the current owner of a haunted property was leaving her house, and spoke to the group for a few minutes. It didn’t seem staged at all, and made the ghost stories so much more authentic. We had about 4-5 ghost stories, each of which was pretty compelling. Wilmington was an infirmary town during the Civil War, and the restless spirits of those who passed away there are what our tour guide attributed to the many haunted establishments in the area.

I definitely recommend doing this tour after dinner and before hitting the bars.

Note: Remember that it's a completely walking-based tour with little chance to rest, so wear comfortable shoes. Children might get bored by the stories.

Also, the walk seems to be a big draw for conference groups. There was a large party from a nearby hotel in our tour group. If you are in Wilmington for a conference or business trip, see if you can get a discount from your organization or hotel for the walk.

Visited June 2010
1 Thank ohiocitytim
Plymouth, NC
65 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 120 helpful votes
“An Interesting Perspective on Wilmington”
Reviewed January 15, 2011

My husband and I just got back to the hotel following the Ghost Tour. Our guide, Michael, entertained us with several stories about houses in the historic district. Despite the cold evening, we enjoyed the brisk walk and the stories that were shared. The homes are beautiful to see, even after dark! We feel that the Ghost Walk was time well spent.

Visited January 2011
NCJetta
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Waste of Time and Money”
Reviewed October 27, 2010

I live in Raleigh so the trip out to Wilmington for this tour wasn't a hardship. We found the meetup spot and were in a group of 20 or so. For the next 1.5 hours we walked around Wilmington, stopping 5 times to hear the tales. What we stopped at were an intersection, sides of buildings and houses, and an alley. It's not that we were expecting to see ghosts, it's about the story telling. The guide was dressed in fanciful 19th century garb, but his story telling skills left a lot to be desired. He tended to drone on and on including waaaay too many details. My friend and I remarked to each other that we wished he would just get to the point. We didn't feel like he really wanted to bring the tale alive, just get the information out. He tended to ramble and jump around quite a bit, it was hard to follow him. And never did he ask if anyone had any questions. We got the feeling he was speeding up or slowing down to fill the full 90 minutes. Uninteresting, confusing, and not at all fun.

2 Thank NCJetta