“My favorite restaurant in Wilmington”
Review of Circa 1922

Circa 1922
Ranked #12 of 709 Restaurants in Wilmington
Cuisines: International
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings, Bar scene, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Private Dining, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Market Street
Reviewed August 23, 2014

This place is simply the best. They have kind of a unique set up in an older building downtown. They primarily serve their dishes 'tapas' style, but do serve larger dishes and sushi. This eclectic mix might seem weird to some, but is all fantastic. Don't leave without getting one of the desserts.

Reviewed August 20, 2014

We recently ate at Circa 1922 in downtown Wilmington. Circa 1922 is a cavernous place on Front Street. It has an interesting atmosphere, and now inhabits one of Wilmington’s older buildings that had for years been a grocery and hardware store. There was a long, inviting bar along one wall and banquettes along the other, with many tables in between. While the food was good, but the entrees were ridiculously small; appetizer size at best. While the entrees are billed on the menu as “small plates,” the prices for these small plates (which they are) are the same as any regular entrée in any other restaurant. So, either be prepared to be disappointed, or pay double the price you would in any other Wilmington restaurant to get a decent meal.

I started with a Caesar salad, which was excellent, and a good size. The lettuce was crisp and the dressing was clearly homemade with just the right mix of creaminess and tang. For an entrée, I had a sliced hanger steak with potatoes for around $19. After the great salad, I was disappointed that the dish consisted of 3 London-broil sized slices of steak on a nice bed of roasted potatoes. My friend had eggplant rolletini, and while that was only around $10, it was appetizer size at best. Even stretching my eating time out as much as I could, my friend and I finished our dishes in five minutes. My wife made out the best: we went on a Tuesday, and sushi was half priced on Tuesday so she filled up on sushi, which she said was excellent. The dessert was unique; we had “chocolate sushi,” an ice cream and chocolate confection fashioned to look like sushi.

Overall, though the food was good, the portion sizes were too small for the price and we left disappointed.

Reviewed August 15, 2014 via mobile

This place was phenomenal! Everything was fresh and delicious. The tapas are larger than expected. All the salads are soooo good! Paella, shrimp and grits, spinach gnocchi and sushi were all spectacular. We couldn't believe the quality for the price. A real gem in the heart of Wilmington. So pleased, we will be back again and again!

Reviewed August 14, 2014

Went to North Carolina to see family,,,, so had Dinner on the 8th of August,,,, Had a group of 6 we were seated at a table made for 4,,,,, Asked to be Moved to a larger table that was vacated by previous group,,,, was told no sorry,,, we asked if a table could be added,,,,still no!!!! The food was ordered and wine was served,,,, The food arrived and one of the meals was over cooked,,,, they took it back,,,, But by the time the meal was returned the 5 of us had finished our meals only to watch the remaining meal be eaten,,,,, No offer of any compensation,,, no comped glass of wine or any apology,,,, Definitely NOT A FINE DINING EXPERIENCE FOR ME Will never be returning,,,,

1  Thank DanishGuy1000
Reviewed August 3, 2014

Circa is one of my favorite restaurants in Wilmington. It's right down town and is located in one of the old buildings. They have a great selection of wine and I love their menu where most of the plates are smaller almost tappas style. I have never had a bad meal there.