“Good place for celebrating a birthday”

Port City Chop House
Ranked #53 of 669 Restaurants in Wilmington
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Bar scene, Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions, Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Full Bar, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Wilmington, North Carolina
“Good place for celebrating a birthday”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2013

We celebrated my husband's birthday at Port City Chop House and found the service excellent, atmosphere pleasant, and the food portions generous. House wines were very good. I ordered a house salad and the shrimp pasta with spinach. The salad was ok, the pasta dish tasty, but too much to eat in one sitting and made with lots of butter. My husband ordered cesear salad, steak and baked potato and our waitress brought us a desert for his birthday which was vanilla ice cream in between some vanilla cake. We had a desert included in our meal so we also ordered the cheesecake which we took home. The steak was fine, desert was good. The cheesecake however, was very bland and disapointing.

• Visited March 2013

Guildford, United Kingdom
“Good food, pleasant surroundings”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2013

The food is good and plentiful. I would suggest that they offer smaller steak sizes for people with smaller appetites. However the steaks were good, as were the crab cakes. We all had large salads as side dishes with the usual choice of dressings. The decor is attractive and the service was very efficient and helpful. The coffee was weak and disappointing - they were unable to offer espresso which usually solves the problem of weak, too long coffee in the US.

Los Angeles, California
“Whirlwind of great service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2013

This was a stone's throw away from our hotel and we gave it a try. Good choice.
We called ahead and told them we had an hour to be in and out and not a minute more. Our schedule was that tight. We got seated right away and had a whirlwind of great service and food to match. I joyously filled up on a ribeye that was to die for. I'll go out of my way to stop here on the next trip to the beach.

Wilmington, North Carolina, United States
“WAY Over Rated - Hair in Food!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2013

My wife and I went to celebrate Valentines with a nice dinner. We ordered and our food was brought out. The first cut into my steak I pulled off a hair. I was very discreet when speaking with the waitress because I know accidents happen. Not a big deal. The manager came over and apologized as well. As I sat there watching my wife eat her meal hoping my new "bald" steak would come out quickly I thought to myself that I am sure a restaurant with prices like this will surely compensate us for such a mistake. NOPE! I wasn’t looking for much. I think when trying to have a nice dinner with my wife, I should not have to watch her eat and then when she gets done, watch me eat. The food was okay, but I paid $37 for a steak that had a hair on it and thought a free desert would have been appropriate. Moral of the story – If you do want over rated atmosphere and overpriced food you should eat here. If you have a grievance with the service or the food you should learn from me and make a big deal about it. Maybe then the management will appreciate your business enough to try to make amends.

Williamsburg, Virginia
“Pricey But Worth It!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2013

We came for our last dinner during this visit to Wrightsville Beach. The young hostess sat us by ourselves in an unoccupied room, but soon a rowdy group of 25 appeared and we could no longer hear each other's conversation. We asked to be reseated and ended up in a much nicer dining environment.
From then on, everything was superb. Great service and the juiciest, most tender filet mignons we've had in years. Cooked just as ordered too! We'll be back!

Visited January 2013