“Rude, slow, and for some reason very sticky.”

Hiro Japanese Steakhouse and Sushi Bar
Ranked #160 of 691 Restaurants in Wilmington
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Surf City, NC
“Rude, slow, and for some reason very sticky.”
Reviewed January 12, 2013 via mobile

The seating woman at the front desk was rude enough that I should've left, but didn't. The waitress was polite but almost nonexistent. Later on we watched and heard a waiter have a vicious argument with the seating staff.

The seating in the sushi area was cramped, but nobody noticed because the whole thing was sticky. I'm serious, every seat, the whole table, and the floors were filthy and stuck to your shoes, clothes, and skin.

Sushi was average to good, rice kinda dry.

Even the fish in the tank seemed miserable there. Avoid it.

Lakeland, FL
“IN The Top Group - But Not AT The Top”
Reviewed November 28, 2012

Every chef in every Japanese Steak House in America comes out of the kitchen with basically the exact same food on their cart.
So it all comes down to seasoning and preparation.
I've eaten at enough JSHs to be able to tell what the food's going to taste like before it hits my plate, just by watching the procedure.
Everyone else at the table raved about the taste - but I was slightly disappointed.
A little more seasoning would go a LONG way - especially when there's a JSH not far from them that NAILS it - every time.
Oh, and typical Asian restaurant beverage service - SLOW.

Visited November 2012
Camden, South Carolina
“Terrible chef - we about puked! Be careful!”
Reviewed November 23, 2012

Usually Hiros is a great place to go... unless you get a "trainee". Apparently, that's what happened to us. My husband and I spent over $70 dollars for filet mignon and shrimp and couldn't stomach the steak! We ordered it "medium" and the chef gave it to us "raw". We couldn't tell it was raw because he "drowned" it in brown sauce so it LOOKED cooked on the outside when he served it. We couldn't understand why it tasted so bad until after he left and we sliced open one of the pieces - it was BLOODY RED- I'm talking about "at-the-meatmarket" red. EVERYTHING was overly salted and the shrimp was over-cooked so bad that it was tough, dry and flavorless. The only thing good was the salad, soup and noodles. I took the steak to go so I could cook it at home, but my husband just told me to throw it out - it was that bad. The chef was not young, but he had a WHITE hat - others had green and black hats. I don't know if white designates their level of experience or not. Just don't get a chef with a WHITE HAT, ask your chef not to overly salt the food, and ALWAYS cut your steak open to make sure it's properly cooked before the chef runs away. Our chef did the stack-the-onion trick and that was the only trick he did- he was terrible. He got out of there as fast as he could. Awful experience - money down the drain. The restaurant needs to fire him or either invest the time to properly train them before making the customers the "guinea pigs!" We will go back but we'll go back after 6:00 (early bird trainees from 5:00 to 6:00) and make sure we get a black-hatted chef. Very disappointed. Went on Wednesday, 11-21-12 at 5:30 pm.

• Visited November 2012
NC
“Always good food and a good time”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

The food is great no matter what you get. The performance while they make your food is fun too. Enough food for lunch the next day! Or you can split the meal there.

• Visited August 2012
Bolivia, North Carolina
“Love the Show”
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Each Chef puts on a wonderful show, They even paid special attn to the fact my father has food allergies. The taste & presentation of the food is by far one of the best I have tried.

Visited July 2012