“Gluten-free??? They've got it!”
Review of Rucker John's

Rucker John's
Ranked #141 of 686 Restaurants in Wilmington
Cuisines: American
“Gluten-free??? They've got it!”
Reviewed May 9, 2014

It was a surprise to find out a small group of restaurants like RJ's would offer such tasty gluten-free options.

Visited April 2014
1 Thank CelebratingSilver

Wilmington, North Carolina
“Great Prime Rib”
Reviewed April 25, 2014

My wife and I go out with another couple every month or so. This time we went to Rucker Johns. I ordered the prime rib, which was the special for the day. My wife had the battered fried shrimp. Our friends had pasta dishes. My wife told me her shrimp were good, but more heavily battered than she prefers. Our friends did not comment on their pasta dishes. My prime rib was delicious. Perfect temperature, color and I could have cut it with my fork--it was that tender. Of course, prime rib is supposed to be tender, but this was exceptionally tender. The waitress had told me that their prime rib was great and she was not kidding. Since it was my wife's birthday that week and they had sent us two birthday postcards wishing her a happy birthday and a free dessert with the postcard, we gave one to our friends and kept one for ourselves, the plan being for each couple to split one dessert. There was no problem about redeeming both cards, However, the restaurant was out of the dessert that my wife wanted and it was early in the evening, which was disappointing. The manager came out to personally apologize, which was considerate, but the fact remained that she could not get the birthday dessert that she wanted and it was, as I've already said, still early in the evening, around 8:00 P.M.
Service was friendly. The restaurant is airy and comfortable, with softened lighting and unique fans that "wave" rather than revolve. I have always enjoyed the decor at Rucker Johns. I will say, however, that the last time we went to this restaurant, it seemed better and everything seemed more carefully prepared and presented, although nothing could have made my prime rib better than it already was. I am giving an overall rating of 3 stars, based on the fact that one diner (me) thought his meal was great, but the other diners (my wife and out friends) either didn't comment one way or the other, or thought their entree could have been a little better.
Rucker Johns is a popular restaurant during tourist season.

• Visited April 2014
Chicago, Illinois
“Not Impressed”
Reviewed December 30, 2013 via mobile

Two stars instead of one since the staff was actually friendly. The food was not good. Oily. Cold fries. I expected better from this place. Not many options for vegetarians- although they offered to make something with any of the ingredients on the menu. Unfortunately they didn't have much to choose from.

Sneads Ferry, North Carolina
“Just very good”
Reviewed October 24, 2013

I had the battered shrimp and my wife had shrimp and grits just perfect. Everything about the meal was so good including the drinks. Great atmosphere and a great staff

• Visited October 2013
Raleigh, North Carolina
“GROSS! This place has gone downhill FAST!”
Reviewed October 23, 2013

This used to be a decent restaurant for a quick and tasty lunch...yeah, not so much these days. We ordered lunch for take out for our business today to celebrate our staff's accomplishments and figured Rucker John's would be a great choice again. We have ordered many times from there before and have NEVER had the SLOP like we had today. One word about this food...HORRIBLE!

Normally the Deb's Chicken Salad is a great choice since it is fresh full of flavor. NOT today! I had to double take when I looked at it because it looked like watered down potato salad! The Fried Mushrooms were SOAKED in grease and appeared to have been frozen, thawed, fried, frozen again and then tossed in a pool of oil. It looked like a soggy mess on the plate and tasted even worse. The Mozzarella Sticks were cold and hard, not the dripping gooey goodness that a fried cheese stick is supposed to be. It was obvious they were from a frozen carton and not freshly prepared.

It's hard to get a salad wrong, but Rucker John's has somehow mastered it?! The lettuce was "rusty" and old. The tomato, diced eggs and croutons were completely flavorless and the "homemade" salad dressing (bleu cheese) was totally dull and tasted like nothing at all. When you have to add salt to your salad, something is wrong. My coworker got the Key West Salad and the fruit (especially the pineapple) on the dish appeared to have been rotten or out of a really old can. The only decent thing that was consumed by another coworker was the Club Sandwich, but even she complained that it lacked seasoning. The "Fresh Cut Fries" were cold and had absolutely no seasoning at all. I picked off dirt from the potato skin!

It is sad that what used to be a fresh food establishment has turned into a watering hole for alcoholics and unrefined folks. Doubtful we will ever be back again, and this is especially sad because when we do buy take out for our staff, it is usually a $200+ bill that we spend! Good luck to the owners, because you will need it for the future if this is has become a regular occurrence with your food. Very disappointing!

• Visited October 2013