“Very Good Experience”
Review of Port Land Grille

Port Land Grille
Reserve with OpenTable
Port Land Grille is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #82 of 787 Restaurants in Wilmington
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Military Cutoff Road
Description: Delicious food, wine and spirits served by our welcoming and knowledgeable staff in a comfortable setting whether it be in the main dining rooms, our beautiful patio, our open kitchen / bar or even one of our private rooms. Our menu changes "Slightly Nightly" to fit the season so be sure to visit our website for current menu details. Serving Wilmington's Finest Tuesday - Saturday nights from 5:30 pm until...
Reviewed June 2, 2014

My wife and I were seated promptly for our Saturday evening dinner reservation. Service during our seating and for the remainder of the evening was very good. It's always a pleasure when a member of the wait staff not assigned to your table makes the time to check on you and your needs.

We started with a half-dozen of the daily oysters. Though these Canadian oysters were tasty the very small size left some damaged in the process of serving. My wife chose the Farmer's Market Salad and I went with the Caesar Salad. The addition of tomatoes and olives changes the traditional Caesar to a hybrid that many Caesar fans will not favor.

For our entrees we chose Pan Seared Fresh Wild Caught Grouper and the Wood Grilled Fresh Yellow Fin Tuna. Both of the fish portions were well prepared as my tuna arrived rare as requested. My wife found the tomato based sauce did not enhance the grouper, however the overall presentation and quality of the entrees was very good.

The restaurant is tastefully decorated with a nice bar area. Most of the guests were properly attired for an elegant evening of dining. Far too many patrons of all ages were dressed more appropriately for burgers on a picnic table.

Overall Portland Grille is a great choice for fine dining in Wilmington.

Date of visit: May 2014

Reviewed May 30, 2014

We are early diners and we like to sit at a bar in a restaurant if possible. We like to watch the action. If we can see the chefs preparing food, well look out! We could sit there all night.

Our dinner at the bar started out with fabulous bottled beers (the ONLY negative...need draft beers) and then to wine to match our tapas! Wines are a little on the expensive side but generous pours and not a bad glass on the list. Worth experimenting!

The oysters were to die for and as usual the steak tartar was fabulous. The salmon tartar is not overwhelming but flavorful. I have had the pate and lets say that it really is the best I have ever had. Unfortunately hubby won't eat it so I have to take others to dinner in order to get that. The cheese selection is really nice (again, switch to one of their fabulous Pinot Noirs and slow down to enjoy the ride! Breathing in the fresh scents of the wine and cheese allows you to savor every bite!

Kelsey and Keith at the bar are just wonderful! We had so much fun with them but yet they knew enough to leave us to enjoy our meal and our romantic time together. They make great suggestions which I always take!!!

On this visit we did not order entrees because we had planned on enjoying the tapas (which can easily make a meal) but in the past I have had the beef tenderloin which just melts in your mouth.

The smell of the place is alarmingly yummy! Since when you are seated in the bar you get to watch the chefs prepare plates you get the wafting scents of many fabulous dishes! Sometimes I just order by site! So much fun!

The rest rooms are very clean and crisp. The hand soap actually smells nice! (I'm such a bathroom snob!)

I saw they have nice little shawls to borrow if you are seated in the restaurant and get a little chilly. Nice! The restaurant is dimly lit but that ads to the romance. The walk from parking to the restaurant (from the front) leads you past the pond of turtles. Don't get distracted! They are very cute!

I can't wait to go back! This is such a wonderful experience!

Date of visit: May 2014
1  Thank ITFerg
Reviewed April 15, 2014

Bored with traditional or country club fare, Port Land Grill named after the famous NC port of Wilmington and Cape Fear Region is one of the few reasons we leave the privacy of Figure Eight Island for a public venue. A changing menu, Scottish salmon with collards and a shared side of butter beans with bacon, well...go hungry.

Date of visit: April 2014
1  Thank woodberry-parent
Reviewed April 10, 2014

My husband and I love to go here when we visit town. Be sure to make reservations, as it's a quiet and somewhat small restaurant, but it's worth it for the personal service and delicious food! We love to go here for a romantic evening out, and we even had our wedding rehearsal dinner here. The pork chops are delicious!

Date of visit: September 2013
1  Thank SandEseetheworld
Reviewed March 29, 2014

My wife and I decided to go here on a date night because it was recommended by a friend. After looking at the menu, online, I was a little apprehensive because of the price of the meals. It was a special occasion so we decided to splurge a little. I was expecting small portions and to still be hungry when we would leave, but the opposite was true. I got the yellow fin tuna with lemon grass sticky rice and the tuna melted in my mouth. My wife does not like tuna but after trying it said she would order it next time. She got the porterhouse chop and it was amazing also. Everything was cooked to perfection and portions were more than generous, we even had to get doggie bags.

To address some of the previous reviews I would like to offer my opinions. The wait staff must have improved because Allison was our waitress and she was great. She explained the menu and gave suggestions when we were trying to decide between two items. She did not steer us wrong on either.

One review expressed they felt discriminated against because they were younger in a 40+ crowd. We did not feel this way, but the patrons of the restaurant are of the upper class, 40+ crowd and seemed themselves to be snooty. For example, an older gentleman fell when trying to sit down and appeared to be injured. I am an EMT and went to assist when the family asked for help. I assisted in helping him into the chair, after he said he was ok and not injured. The family did not say thanks or anything, not that I was looking for it. But that shows the mind set of many, not all, in this class of people. I am just over 40 and my wife is younger and we felt a little out of place. But this is to be expected when attending a restaurant of this caliber. Don’t let this discourage you and keep you away from the excellent food.

BOTTOM LINE: This is an amazing restaurant with amazing food. My wife and I are very frugal with money but this food was worth every penny.

Date of visit: March 2014
2  Thank cyclewife13
anne s, Owner at Port Land Grille, responded to this reviewResponded March 30, 2014

Thank you so much for your kind review. I also want to thank you for your assistance with the elderly man who missed his chair and fell. I wasn't present at the time but did have the opportunity to speak with all of them soon after the incident. They are monthly regulars and have been coming in for years now...I'm sure they were more rattled than anything. The gentleman in question has had his share of health issues and I'm sure if the rest had had their wits about them they may have been more appreciative or if not even aware of your efforts. Regardless I am very appreciative to know there are folks like you out there - always willing to jump in and offer help whether it's appreciated or recognized or not. Thank you. And thanks for taking the time to write such a thoughtful review. I usually dread these site's reviews because they tend to attract only those that want to complain anonymously instead of giving forthright critiques in a timely considerate manner which gives mgmt. an opportunity to relieve, improve or correct as necessary. I'm so glad you came in - please thank your recommending friend for us as well. Word of mouth is the most potent method of growing our business and we very much appreciate your words. Come see us again soon!