“No Longer Worth the Trip”
Review of La Gemma

La Gemma
Ranked #29 of 31 Dessert in Wilmington
Reviewed June 1, 2014

Let me start by saying that I have been a fan of La Gemma since they opened in Wilmington.

Not anymore. I have been disappointed with the items that I have purchased during the last THREE visits. You may ask, why did i keep going back? Because I kept hoping it was just a fluke and it would get better. No such luck. I bought half a dozen strawberry meringue cookies and I'l throwing away five and a half. They're STALE. The last time I went, I also had to throw cookies away (a different kind) because they were stale. I have had their meringue cookies in the past and they are usually melt in your mouth (as they should be). How disappointing. For me, three strikes and you're out. I can't waste my money there anymore. And I must add that my mother has had the same experience. No more stale treats for us.

If you want a great bakery in Wilmington, check out The Shuga Shak or go to TPC (The Peppered Cupcake).

Reviewed February 17, 2014

Everything is made in small batches, so get on Facebook so you know what highlights are in the case each day. They also do special orders just how you like it!

Reviewed February 4, 2014

La Gemma has been taken over by new owners and are doing such a great job with this little Italian bakery. The have the neatest innovative little treats! I have been by on a few occasions and everything I have tried has been delicious! Make sure to also try the savory along with the sweet.

Reviewed January 23, 2014

If you haven't been to La Gemma you have no idea what you are missing! I am a northern transplant and was thrilled to find an Italian bakery in Wilmington. Honestly the pastries are the best I have ever had, anywhere. They are always fresh and the selection is amazing. Don't be intimidated if you can't pronounce some of the names of the sweets. Just point to one or two and give them a try. I promise you will be back for more!

Reviewed June 2, 2013

Frequent dining partner and I had a craving for eclairs. After looking high and low, I discovered this bakery and to my delight, it also had eclairs. Ran off to find friend and zoomed over for the treat. What a waste! What a disappointment! We ordered the pastry and coffee for two. Unfortunately there was nowhere in the bakery to sit, stand or squat. Back to the car with out stash. ZERO flavor and hardly any goo in the middle. I couldn't decide if they were old or what.I almost started to cry. Oh well, I have seen them in Apple Annies and will give it a try there.