“Authentic Mexican Food at a Great Price!”
Review of Los Primos - CLOSED

Los Primos
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed February 7, 2013

Finally a Mexican restaurant in Wilmington that is really authentic. If you like your tacos with lettuce and cheese go to Taco Bell, But if you are ready to try the real thing, this is the place for you! BE prepared: No chips and salsa on the table, but the menu is filled with pork, beef, chicken, and seafood plates seen nowhere else in the area. No ground beef here! The mexican chefs in the back prepare the food as if they were at home.

Reviewed January 19, 2013

Wife and I went to Los Primos with another couple on a Saturday night. I had read review that said the food was good but the service was not good. Here is my review in a nutshell: our food was not hot when it came, and was fairly bland. Portion sizes were adequate. There was no attempt at any sort of presentation.They were out of the entree (homemade authentic tamales) that I wanted and I had to order something different. There was no dessert available.
The waitress was not experienced and was slow even though there were few diners in the restaurant. The place has a "cold" feeling: harsh lighting, few decorative touches, scuffed-up dull asphalt floor. The restaurant appears to have once been a house; essentially they knocked out the walls to create space, it felt like I was eating in a partially-finished house. Tables, chairs, booths have a tired second-hand look; like everything came from some used restaurant furnishings store. The restaurant lacks any kind of intimacy.
To their credit, there is a large beer selection and some interesting drink offerings.
This is not yet a first-rate restaurant. I wish them well but my wife and I won't be returning any time soon.

1  Thank Ken H
Reviewed December 22, 2012

My husband and I decided to go to this new restaurant after reading a review in our local newspaper - the restaurant has only been open for 3 months. We went for lunch today and we tried two of the entrees that were critiqued in the review and the reviewer's opinion was spot-on. I can only say "fabulous". I had the Tacos dorados de pollo which came with Mexican rice - the rice far different than what we have to put up with in local Mexican restaurants. The tacos are rolled, hard tacos with a wonderful shredded chicken inside, topped with shredded lettuce and a delicious shredded cheese. It comes with a small cup of very tasty sauce. My husband had the tamales, which are basically non-existent in this area. Tamales are only available on Saturdays as they are very labor-intensive to make, but the owner said he is looking into perhaps hiring another person to make them on days other than Saturdays.
The restaurant is in an old blue house on a main street, but easy to find. It's rather nondescript in decor and could perhaps use a bit of tender, loving care in updating the interior. The owner paid special attention to us and even had us try one of their excellent soups (the broth meant for a palate that can tolerate something very spicy, but it was quite tasty). My husband does enjoy very spicy foods, so this was something that he would try in the future - the soup comes with big shrimp and clams.
I highly recommend this restaurant for a real treat in what Mexican food is really supposed to taste like.

Reviewed November 25, 2012

After reading about the opening of Los Primos, my husband and I just had to stop by, especially when we heard that the kitchen was making authentic interior Puebla and Oaxacan cuisine. While the setting and decor may remind you of all those thousands of "same-old" tex-mex restaurants, the food is a total and welcome surprise!! We were met by Brian (one of the owners) who explained the specials of the day, the menu and the philosophy of the restaurant. We couldn't resist ordering the chicken mole enchiladas and the chili rellenos. Both plates came with home made torillas, rice and black beans. The food was amazing!!!
Don't look for chips and salsa....it isn't that kind of place....if you want great tacos with fillings like beef cheeks, chorizo, chicken and pork, as well as tortas, enchiladas and great seafood dishes, this is your place. I can't say enough about the mole!!!! We plan to eat here at least once a week forever!!! The staff was friendly and excited about the food they were preparing, which just added to the experience. Everyone needs to come and partake of this delicious homemade and very reasonably priced food!!!!