“Just what the doctor ordered”

Rx Restaurant and Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Rx Restaurant and Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #27 of 678 Restaurants in Wilmington
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: Located in the old Hall's Drugstore on 5th and Castle
Wilmington, North Carolina
“Just what the doctor ordered”
Reviewed August 7, 2013

Rx is a top favorite Wilmington restaurant for evening dining. Located in the old Hall's Drug Store building near the antique shops and new wine shop on Castle Street, this little gem is worth a visit. Last week our server was unfamiliar with our wine selection and offered us a taste to aid our decision. If you like thin crispy, spicy slides of fried deliciousness go out of your comfort zone and try the pig ears. What could be better than Southern fried green tomatoes stacked with homemade pimento cheese? Duck risotto, fresh fish, fried chicken! Their in vegetables are in season locally grown.

Wilmington, North Carolina
“Nice Place”
Reviewed August 6, 2013

Interesting place just a few blocks from downtown. The food was great, but the menu changes daily. I have wanted to go for a while and finally made it this past Friday. But the menu wasn't loaded on the website at the time I made the reservation and when I got there the choices weren't exactly what I was hoping for. They generally have more seafood choices, but that night the menu seemed pork heavy. I had shrimp and grits which were great. The pork duo was pretty good but a little on the dry side. The portions were not "large" but they were enough, especially if you have an appetizer. The okra fries were really good but a tad on the tough side.

Overall, I'd give it another shot. The service was great and parking wasn't an issue as it is with a lot of downtown options. The menu options were very diverse and I think it would be tough to find something that wasn't good.

raleigh, nc
“Out of the way Gem”
Reviewed August 5, 2013

Located out of the downtown area, this is an eclectic gem not many blocks away. Ample onstreet and beside building parking. Rx is small, quaint and cozy, housed in an old pharmacy with interesting decor. Ate there on a Friday night and business was brisk. It seemed all patrons were having a great time and enjoying themselves. We started with the cheese plate and okra fries as appetizers. Both interesting and very good. Followed by entrees of: Bev's pork duo (pork belly and shoulder) over red rice. Very good flavors, pork belly very moist, shoulder a little too dry. Shrimp and Grits, very good flavor and texture. Grilled Snapper with mussels, very tasty and filling. Waitstaff was attentive and very good at keeping us serviced during our meal.

Overall a great experience. We recommend you try for yourselves.
We will return, as there are many interesting entrees on the menu that we want to taste.

Cape Fear Coast
“RX- a good experience”
Reviewed July 30, 2013

We ate after a concert and they accommodated that we were a late reservation. The service was great, fast and accurate.
We shared Pig Ears as a starter. VERY rich. Share with more than a few folks as there is such a thing as too much of a good thing! Between us we dined on the ribs, which didn't really stand out- and the sauce was ok... I had the strip steak etc... and it was yummy. I little too salty but still flavorful. My husband had the shrimp and grits and really loved it. We also had the snapper and it was good as well.
Over all the experience was good, the food above average and we will go back when the menu changes again.

• Visited July 2013
Frederick, Maryland
“Hip new twist on Southern food”
Reviewed July 30, 2013

Ate at Rx in late June 2013 on a date night with my husband. Had a very enjoyable time. Atmosphere is casual with lots of interesting art work. You can dress up or down and be at home in this place. Food was delightful! Lots of interesting plates. We stuck to several apps and then split a main course. Not everything was a homerun. The bacon terrine was good but not very "bacon"y. Fried green tomatoes was excellent and the rouge poulet (french spelling probably not correct) was unforgettable. Really wanted to lick the plate! I rarely order chicken but this dish was so full of flavor I was glad I did. I usual stick to wine while dining out but their mixed drinks seemed interesting. Glad I tried one. Can't remember the name but it was a cucumber mint gin drink. Almost regretted the order as it looked more like a health drink straight from the garden. But it was a very flavorful drink. One of the highlights of the night. Definitely give things a try at this restaurant, there are plenty of great surprises on the menu. Pick the items you don't see elsewhere. Waitstaff was excellent but it was a slower night while we were there.

• Visited June 2013