“GOOD FOOD, GOOD BEER”

Rx Restaurant and Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Rx Restaurant and Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #30 of 698 Restaurants in Wilmington
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: Located in the old Hall's Drugstore on 5th and Castle
Reviewed March 21, 2013

We had a nice dinner. Was it steak, duck or seafood the food was good and the service efficient. The nice choice of tap beer has been appreciated.

Reviewed March 17, 2013

I have grown wary of new "hip" restaurants that are long on style and short on taste. But RX has restored my faith. My husband and I had brunch here and we were both blown away. We had a friendly and helpful server who seemed pleased to be there (what a change) and food that was wonderfully prepared and tasted damn good. He had the fried fish sandwich (with homemade pickles) and I had their version of a Monte Cristo (with homemade gravy--REAL gravy. Not some bouillon crap with tons of flour). Both were out-of-this-world! After the closing of Crow Hill and the Deluxe, it's nice to have another Wilmington eating spot that's worth the trip.

Reviewed March 17, 2013

....it surpasses the really great food.

I would give a million bucks at this moment to know (or remember) the first name of the young lady that waited our table this past Saturday at lunch at RX just so I could give her props in this review. It was my family's first visit there although we accompanied friends who live in Wilmington and having 'found' the restaurant five weeks ago they have eaten there five times since.

We arrived and took a table. The waitress came out and gave us our menus and took our beverage orders. She won us all over immediately with her warmth and sincerity. We knew this was going to be a good experience. We chose our food from the very varied 'brunch' menu and we knew as we ordered that we would be tasting one another's dishes. I ordered the pork belly. I'm a southern boy and I don't remember having any better. Fantastic. It came with grits. I'm still a southern boy...sometimes you don't have dress grits up so much....in a huge bowl. When it was served, my daughter and I immediately looked at each other and said, "Why, haven't we served this dish in this size bowl?" Nice touch.

I sampled the shrimp and grits which were very good, although the andouille sausage might have been better and had more flavor if pan-browned first. I also tried the fried chicken with the gravy. It was good, but heavy. Not sure I'd want a whole plate of it. The batter was dark and not that appetizing. Bojangles is successfull for a reason. Fresh greens in a vinegrette sauce on the plate might have lightened the dish somewhat. My wife had the quiche and the sausage in it was simply wonderful.

We agreed that the chef has a very even hand at seasoning. I call it a keen sense. Nothing was too salty and yet, we never added salt. We all added pepper, but when you have a beautiful egg in front of you, you just have to. As a side note, my daughter had the shrimp and grits that came with a coddled egg. As we left, she said, "That was the best egg I have ever had in my life!"

My only suggestion or perhaps 'comment' to the chefs, add some dishes with some bolder flavors. If I had seen the words 'spicy','haberbaro', etc, I would have ordered that dish.

We listened to the dessert recital and although interesting, not everyone thought they wanted a dessert, so I asked the waitress if she could make us a sampler of three desserts to share. Oh, wow! We got the deluxe treatment with separate platters, serving plates and utensils. This gal handled everything we threw at her and still kept that wonderful smile on her face.

The desserts were perfect, btw. I wish we had ordered everything they had to offer.

Kudos to this restaurant. I hope they do well in a sea of new restaurants in what is becoming somewhat of a 'foodie' town. I've been to many towns where this is happening and been in many, many restaurants in those towns. This one struck me different enough to write a review. There is something going on here. There is a 'brilliance' that hasn't quite been hit on yet...but it will be at some point soon. They definitely have the service and the food is very, very good.

My advice to management:

1. Respond to Tripadvisor comments....ever single one. Yay or nay comments.. and no, I'm not looking for a response. These days TripAdvisor can make or break you. Look at those top rated restaurants and hotels on TripAdvisor..the management always responds.

2. Add some spice.The more heat I feel the more wine or beer I drink. I'm sure you can see how that works in the long run. Your food is really, really good, but I wanted that 'kick'. I didn't get it.

3. Do what you are doing. What a damn happy place to visit. Great atmosphere, great food and the best service I have had anywhere in 15 years and I've been in a few places. (Please thank my server once again if your will.)

I really want this place to be in the top ten for the Wilmington TripAdvisor by next year. With a few changes, it will deserve to be there.

3  Thank RMH27707
Reviewed February 3, 2013

On a cold Thursday night 6 of us made the trip downtown from WB to the Rx Restaurant.
Located in the old Hall's Drug Store building, the Rx welcomed us with valet parking and smiles from the entire staff. Many restaurants have tried to put their own spin on southern cooking, but few have succeeded this well. The pork belly, grits and egg were a treat. The baked oysters, excellent. The trout cooked perfectly. Poulet Rouge, wonderful comfort food. Shrimp and grits a must try. Too many good things to mention including the desserts. Put the Rx on your list!

Reviewed December 31, 2012

Rx is a new, fun, local, restaurant -- everything the other reviews have said. (We did get good service.) Lots of pork (well, it is local, and this is North Carolina), but cooked in many different ways. And some odd parts -- I'd never had cheeks, and they were very tender and flavorful. I want to go back and have some other pork delicacies, or rareties.
I also want to point out that one of our party was a vegetarian, who did well: arugula salad appetizer, vegetable plate (piled with many different veggies prepared many different ways). Rx is obviously for local carnivores -- but vegetarians can be happy, too.