“A taste of Italy”

Roko Italian Cuisine
Ranked #41 of 677 Restaurants in Wilmington
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Roko Italian Cuisine is a traditional italian restaurant located in the heart of Wilmington's Mayfaire Town Center. Owners Jadran and Vojka encourage you to come in, relax, share stories and enjoy the warm and friendly service, as they prepare the finest Italian cuisine especially for you. Roko's menu features a selection of salads, pasta, veal, beef, seafood, and chicken dishes.
Wilmington, NC
“A taste of Italy”
Reviewed October 16, 2012 via mobile

We have had several friends tell us about Roko so we decided to give it a try. And we're glad we did. It's small but elegant yet not pricey. Linen table cloths and napkins add an extra bit of class. Small bar area but a very good selection of wines. The menu will please any pallet with a large selection of pasta, chicken, veal and fish entrees. I was a little disappointed in the calamari, it was a bit bland but not over cooked or rubbery. My wife had the Roko shrimp scampi which had a brown scampi sauce instead of the usual butter and garlic sauce. It was then finished with a layer of Italian cheeses. The shrimp was prepared to perfection. I had the veal Marsala and you could cut it with a fork. Both meals came with baby snow peas and sautéed potatoes. The service was prompt and friendly and our waiter answered all of our knowledgeably. We are looking forward to our next visit.

1 Thank Frank G

Tyaskin
“A bit of a dissapointment”
Reviewed October 7, 2012

After all the great reviews, I was looking forward to a very enjoyable eveing. However a few things were not up to par: Our server was ( to put it losely) dense. He got all the orders mixed up. He also told use we could substitute pasta for potatoes. My mushroom ravioli was just average ( I am married to an Italian who makes her own). My Caesar salad lacked adequate dressing and my wife's veal was overcooked.
To add insult to injury, wy wife and I ordered coffee; when it was servied our waiter said it "was a bit warm" which we felt was meant to say it was very hot. It turned out to be luke warm. When my wife asked him to heat it up he went over to the server and topped off her cup with de-caf. When we asked him about this he said yes he did, but he wanted to save us time since :he would have to brew another pot"!
Not a bad place, and maybe it was just or server, but for $95 before tip, I was expecting more.

• Visited September 2012
Roko P, Owner at Roko Italian Cuisine, responded to this review, October 9, 2012
We are very dissapointed to hear about your recent experience. We plan to address service issues with our staff member immediately. This does not sound like a typical meal at Roko, we hope you will give us another try. If you would like to discuss this matter further, please do not hesitate to email me directly, webmaster@rokoitalian.com.
Wilmington, North Carolina, United States
“Very good Italian in NC!”
Reviewed October 4, 2012

Being a native New Yorker, I am pretty tough to win over as NY has the best Italian restaurants this side of the pond but along comes Roko! I am an Italian food snob and had yet to find a decent place in Wilmington for my favorite cuisine. Roko is one that I will visit again! I had the Fruitta de Mare, and it was done right....thank you! My companion had the Scallops with Risotto and that was also a very good flavorful dish. A good wine selection that won't break the band and the food prices are reasonable. A nicely decorated room, good service and we were happy.

• Visited October 2012
Roko P, Owner at Roko Italian Cuisine, responded to this review, October 7, 2012
Thanks for trying some of our fresh seafood dishes, we love to bring the freshest ingredients to your table from the local fish market. We are happy to hear you were pleased with your dining experience.
Wilmington, North Carolina
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Now that's Italian!”
Reviewed September 17, 2012

Superb service, true Italian dishes, great ambience and and a not to be missed dining experience in Wilmington. Our reservations were for seven thirty this past Saturday night and while their were several people waiting we were called to our table promptly at seven thirty. Our waiter Chad, was prompt, courteous and knowlgeable about the specials and menu in general. Our food was served in a timely matter and was at the appropriate temperature. We will be returning in the near future!

Wrightsville Beach, North Carolina
“Wow... what a pleasant surprise! Excellent....”
Reviewed September 13, 2012

A date asked me to meet him here for dinner. The place only opened last spring and is located in a mall type complex near a Five Guys, so I had my doubts. The name leads some people to think it's an Asian place, but it's definitely Italian. I expected it to be empty on a Thursday night, maybe even out of business since the last place that occupied the space hadn't fared too well. Well, I was wrong and happily so..

There were no parking spaces and an hour wait for a table! Inside, the ambiance was cozy and one of the owners, Vojka, was front and center seating people, bringing out bread and stopping by every table to ensure her guests' satisfaction. She obviously takes great pride in her establishmant and it shows. The chef is Jadran, and according to their websitr, one or both of them came here from Croatia. I think the name Roko is a combination of parts of their names...

We opted for a bistro table in the bar to avoid the wait. The lighting was comfortable but I didnt hear any music during our visit. That was my ONLY complaint. I thought this place would have benefited from a little Sinatra or something... That being said, fresh, warm bread was brought out quickly, and a bowl of olive oil with balsamic vinaigrette and crushed baked garlic... to die for! My date ordered the chicken picatta ($16) and it arrived beautifully plated. The white wine, caper and lemon sauce on the tender filets of chicken was wonderful. There were thin green beans and baked potatoes wedges on the side.

I ordered a split of Prosecco (Italian sparkling wine) for $6 and a "Create your Own" pasta dish with Capellini pasta, Carbonara sauce and scallops ($18). It was delicious and there were 3 tender, nice-sized scallops on top. Fresh grated cheese was offered by our server, who was a friendly, attentive college-age girl. The food took a while to arrive but given the level of business we were not put off by this, as the owner came by and brought us more bread and dipping oil. We were too full to try dessert, but I feel sure it would have been excellent.

Prices seemed reasonable and they had a decent wine and beer list too. The place was packed, and everyone seemed like a regular. This place is definitely doing something right, maybe everything. GO!!! The ambiance is perfect for a date too.... check out their website and menus:

• Visited September 2012
Thank you for your detailed review, I am sure travelers will appreciate your honest assesment! Thanks for dining with us, we hope to see you again sooon.