“Top Chef Success!”

Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout
Wilmington, NC
“Top Chef Success!”
Reviewed March 3, 2013

I will admit, I have been a Top Chef addict this season, which got me thinking about Wilmington's own Top Chef competitor, Keith Rhodes. Add that to an article in Wrightsville Beach Magazine, and I was craving a chance to try his food. I actually live very close to Catch, but I looked it up online and those prices were a little steep for a take-out dinner to eat at home. When I looked up Phun, however, the prices shocked me. $9 for the Hong Kong Noodle Bowl? Sold!
I called in my order, and then headed downtown to pick it up. I circled the block twice before finally parking and walking to find it. It is literally a hole in the wall! It seats maybe 20 people total in a skinny, long space. You can see into the kitchen (kinda cool) and they had a bar with a fishtank and a TV (showing what else? Top Chef!). As far as I could tell, there was one waitress/to-go order taker, cashier, phone answerer... and then 2 guys cooking in the back (neither were Keith, of course). The decor was nice and felt sophisticated, but the waitress was in jeans and a black t-shirt. She rang up my food and brought it to me quickly. I got home and was impressed with the way it was packaged. The noodles, pork belly, and wontons were in one container while the broth was in the other so that everything didn't get soggy. Very smart! And the food.... yummmm! Like comfort food but tastier and didn't feel fatty. I have been dying to try pork belly, since they cook it all the time on the show, and it was delicious. Greasy, flavorful, crisp, yet softened in the broth... everything was delicious. Will definitely be going back, hopefully to eat in next time!!

• Visited February 2013

“Authentic and fresh”
Reviewed February 15, 2013

A great environment for fresh Vietnamese street food. Don't expect a posh restaurant. This place is small but lends itself to some of the finer small places of your bigger cities like NYC or London. What you can expect is fresh and tasteful food delivered in a timely manner. The staff is friendly and helpful with menu. The chef does come out from the kitchen to ask how you like the food.

I highly recommend for anyone who is looking for food that is close to authentic and fresh.

wdc
“What a mess”
Reviewed February 3, 2013

We had heard good things about this restaurant however our visit on a Saturday evening was just bad. In all fairness, we didn't get to taste the food since we walked out after 20 minutes and no service. It was not jammed packed, but there was only one waitress/bartender/telephone answerer/busboy there. Several people came in after we did and got attention before we did - it was a matter of who could be a louder squeak. On top of that the door did not close when people entered or left so I had to keep getting up to close the door since it was cold out. The food may be good but the manager (there was no sign of one) should be fired!

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank BAMRB
Wilmington, North Carolina
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great find!”
Reviewed January 18, 2013

The inside was much smaller than I expected. There are only a handful of table tops and the majority of seats are bar seats. The inside is welcoming and the staff is very helpful. But the menu is simple and exceptional! I tried the beed short rib phun noodle bowl wet bun style. It was full of flavor and very filling. I paired it with a local brew and I was set for the night. It's great asian food at a great price. Don't miss out!

• Visited January 2013
Wilmington
“Such a Happy Find”
Reviewed December 5, 2012

My husband and I are from San Francisco, and have been missing good Asian food since we left. We'd walked past this place several times, the menu always looked great. We finally decided to go in, last week. What an amazing experience!! The food was great, and the service was phenomenal. It's definitely a new "go to" for us. In fact, I'm ordering pick up today. The shrimp spring rolls and curry flounder are a new favorite.

• Visited November 2012