“Ask questions before making a reservation”

BEST WESTERN Plus Wilmington/Carolina Beach
Ranked #16 of 44 Hotels in Wilmington
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Ask questions before making a reservation”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2013

Ask questions before booking your room!

My family recently chose to stay at this Best Western for our 3 day / 2 night vacation in Wilmington. It was a decision that ruined our vacation.

We found the hotel to be generally clean overall. It had a nice (though fairly small) indoor pool and a pretty good breakfast selection for a continental breakfast, and is conveniently located next to a couple of restaurants. It’s entirely possible to have a great stay at this hotel.

It’s also entirely possible that you won’t be so lucky.

What they don’t tell you when you make an online reservation is that half of the rooms face the rear parking lot, which is quiet, and half face a very busy multi-lane road. Being that Wilmington is a popular tourist destination and this road connects Wilmington to other beach-front towns to the south, there are no shortage of motorcycle clubs and emergency vehicles that travel this road, often getting stopped at the light directly in front of the hotel. It’s pretty loud well into the early morning hours. Not a deal breaker in itself, but it takes some getting used to. If you stay here, request a room facing the rear parking lot.

What they also don’t tell you is that not all of the rooms have been upgraded to remove the connecting door to your neighbor’s room, so you have a pretty good chance of staying in a room where the only thing separating you from your neighbors is a door which you can hear through. This was not a problem for us our first night there.

We were not so lucky the second night.

We found out at 4:00pm on the 2nd day of our trip that they booked some rather loud neighbors in the room next to us. These neighbors continued to party until about 5:00am the following morning which was quite unfortunate for us, especially considering we had our 7 year old son with us. We could hear every word they said for about 12 hours, and their laughter drowned out our TV and made sleeping nearly impossible.

We asked to be moved to another room at 4:00pm the first time we heard them making noise. The attendant at the desk told me she would have to see if they could move us since it was so late in the evening and they were starting to get a some reservations. It took her about 15 minutes and a phone call to the manager to get back with me and let me know the hotel was full. They also would not refund our money for the second night, but told us they’d knock off 10% of one night’s stay to make it better.

We left for a while and got back in about 9:00pm. The following 8 hours was nothing short of pure hell, which resulted in 3 more trips to the front desk and me spending an hour on the couch in the lobby at 3:00am because it was quieter with the drunk kids in the lobby that it was in my bedroom.

We eventually got to sleep about 5:00am.

After spending about 15 minutes arguing the point with the woman at the front desk at checkout on Sunday morning, they finally agreed to do me a favor, and refund $33 of the $266 they charged us for a 2 night stay. I was not able to speak with the manager, the attendant at the desk spoke to him only by phone.

So yes, it’s very possible you’ll get a nice quiet clean room at this hotel and have an enjoyable stay. It’s also possible you’ll get one of the less quiet rooms and have good neighbors and also have an enjoyable stay. However, there is still too high of a chance that you will get stuck in a traffic facing room with a door in your room that leads to a party next door.

And when this happens, don’t expect the staff to do a thing about it. They clearly care more about money than they do about customer satisfaction.

There are no shortage of hotels in Wilmington. My advice would be to avoid this one.

Room Tip: If you must stay here, request a room facing the rear parking lot with no attached rooms on either s...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

3 Thank Jamie W

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Lakeland, FL
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2013

I've stayed here before on previous visits to Wilmington, and it's always been a pleasane stay.
During this visit, one incident clouded the entire visit.
I was in my room, with the DO NOT DISTURB card in the lock when the door opened and the maid walked in.
Yes, I expressed my displeasure to her as she stood there with the card in her hand, saying only (in poor English) "ON FLOOR - ON FLOOR".
Interesting though, after my calling the desk to report it, I could hear the conversation in the hall between her and the manager - and there was NOTHING wrong with her English.
Later, at the desk, in person, I told the manager how displeased I was with what happened.
He apologized, but never offered any relief.
Would I stay there again?
Maybe.
Just want everyone else to know this is a possibility at this location.

Room Tip: Tell the desk clerk at check in that you know this has been known to happen here - and you find it u...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Raleigh, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

Nice place, very clean. The 'profit' motive is very evident here. The location is not great, far from most everything but monkey junction... the indoor pool area and hot tub are very crammed in. The hot tub is not very hot. Breakfast was great!

Room Tip: facing away from hiway is better
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Sneads Ferry, North Carolina
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2013 via mobile

I had called the night prior around 10:30 and received a rate with the Thursday night doubling on Friday night which I thought to be unreasonable but I had 2 grandchildren wanting swim time during their spring vacation. When I called before noon on Thursday to reserve the room I had the displeasure of speaking with the owner. He promptly told me that because he had fewer rooms available, he could charge more. He stated that he both had no control of the rates and also that he was the owner?? It was his attitude that bothered me most, I could barely understand him and he told me when I asked if the rate would go up again in 15 minutes (giving me time to check with son re: rate)...he informed me that it may go up or it may come down in 15 minutes. His smugness and irritable manner cost his establishment my repeat local business.
I called Country Inn and Suites in Wilmington and we had a wonder suite with outstanding service. Thank you Ms Bridgette and Mr. Todd.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Winston Salem, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2013

Was impressed with how clean this hotel was. The breakfast buffet was great. The staff was wonderful. The air cond. didn't work in the first room we were put in, but we were immediately moved to another room. Was amazed at how quiet the hotel was. We were on the 2nd floor & could not hear anyone above us or on either side of us.

Room Tip: Rooms have been updated. Rooms are soundproof.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2013

We stayed in the King Suite, with whirlpool tub, for like $75/night, in the beginning of February 2013, for three nights. It was a GREAT deal that I couldn't pass up. The hotel and room was very clean and the staff was friendly. I was debating this room and the Courtyard on Carolina Beach because of the whirlpool tubs and prices being about the same. This room was much larger and so was the tub. I also thought the free hot breakfast saves us a few bucks from eating out every morning. The breakfast was pretty good, make your own waffles, hot meat (bacon or sausage daily), egg patty or scrambled eggs, cereal, bread, biscuits, bagels, yogurt, instant oatmeal and grits, juices and coffee.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jlshipp1
Wilmington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2013

We loved this hotel! The people were great and we took advantage of the indoor pool each of the 4 days we stayed. The proximity to restaurants couldn't be better - everything from fast food, pancake house or nice sit-down dinners. We would highly reccomended this hotel!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

1 Thank Jack S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wilmington
Homewood Suites by Hilton Wilmington/Mayfaire
BEST WESTERN PLUS Wilmington/Wrightsville Beach
Hampton Inn & Suites Carolina Beach Oceanfront
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Wilmington
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Carolina Beach
Hampton Inn & Suites Wilmington/Wrightsville Beach

Been to BEST WESTERN Plus Wilmington/Carolina Beach? Share your experiences!