“View of the USS. North Carolina Battleship”
Review of Riverview Suites

Riverview Suites
Ranked #29 of 45 Hotels in Wilmington
Reviewed January 19, 2013 via mobile

I here the rooms can be hit or miss. Our room was absolutely amazing. We were there during the Beach to Battleship Triathlon. Watched amazing fireworks and did some antique shopping. It was my wife and I anniversary so we didn't leave the room much. We did go to New Union Union Tattoo parlor to get a couple great tattoo. Great guys their, great work. Not only a cool room but we could use the other hotel amenities. Great stay would stay again.

• Stayed: October 2012
WilmingtonHiltonGM, Director of Sales at Riverview Suites, responded to this reviewResponded March 21, 2013

Thank you for your recent stay and wonderful review. These units are ideal for event weekends. It is wonderful you got see the fireworks, the balconies provide and unbelievable view don't they?

We hope you will come back and join us again, it's the perfect place for a weekend getaway!

Reviewed October 27, 2012

First of all this is not a hotel. It is not even a time share. It is a condo building down the street from the hilton hotel. You have to check in at the hilton and can use everything there but it is a long up hill walk. If you like getting pampered and are demanding stick to the hilton. They are very nice and helpful. I you want some extra room and don't mind being away from everything this place is good. The location can't be beat for walking around the city and river. The views from the rooms are great and they all face the river. the balcony is small and the furniture is to small to sit out if you are over 125 pounds. The furniture inside depends on the unit. It is passable but not up to hilton standards. This is more like staying at a friends condo than going to a hotel.

Room Tip: You want a room higher up for the best view of the battleship and the river. If you take a taxi tell...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
WilmingtonHiltonGM, Director of Sales at Riverview Suites, responded to this reviewResponded November 7, 2012

Thank you for your recent stay and feedback. You are right, this building is not a hotel. They are individually owned units that participate in a rental program. They are a great place to stay, especially for extended amounts of time. The Hilton is not affiliated with this program with exception of the check in.

If in-house amenities is what you are looking for the Hilton is the place. If you would like Condos with kitchens and private balconies in the heart of downtown, then this the ideal place to stay.

We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed August 26, 2012

I booked the Riverview Suites after careful consideration and reading all the reviews. I thought I was fully aware of the pros and cons. I booked our 3 night stay there thinking we would enjoy a little extra space, having a small kitchen area and especially the balcony. I asked for a room high up for the best view possible. We were given a room on the 8th floor. Okay, good view and nice size balcony. After that I struggled to find much nice about the accommodations. The bedroom was small and dark, only one window with the blinds shut since it overlooked the walkway. The a/c nit was in the closet and loud. The bathroom was clean and a good size, but the compact fluorescent bulbs take so long to get bright, it seemed dark for a few minutes. The living area was sparse and the carpet could not be more stained. The kitchen area is not in any picture on the Internet, it does nothing to help the appearance of the room. The chairs around the table were filthy. We asked to see another room and the Hilton accommodated and showed us another. It was eaxactly the same, but a smaller balcony. Good news is the Hilton helped us move to a room in the Hilton. They were so accommodating! We moved after dinner and a show at 10:00 at night, when they finally had a cancellation. I can not say enough about how great their customer service staff was to find us another room. All ended well in the long run, but I would not book another stay at the suites.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Debbi D

Thank you for your stay and review. I am sorry you were disappointed in the accommodations. We continue to upgrade dated furniture in these individually owned units, so we appreciate when guests bring such comments to our attention. We will forward your information to the appropriate people to remedy this situation immediately.

Thank you again for your stay and I hope you will return soon to give us another opportunity to impress you.

Reviewed July 2, 2012

I had stayed at the Riverview Suites 4 years ago and had wonderful accommodations and enjoyed the stay. My husband and I stayed this past weekend and were extremely dissatisfied. The condo was obviously neglected. Furniture, carpeting and window coverings were dirty and stained. The door to the condo did not even fill the door frame so that noise and heat filtered in all the time. Will never stay there again!!!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank travelwitch1
Reviewed April 16, 2012

I’ve stayed at the Riverview Suites many times over the years, so I guess that must mean I like it!

The location is great – right on the front, with a great view from your balcony (if you’re high enough – more on that in a moment!) of the river, Battleship, etc., and it’s easy to walk out to a large variety of restaurants and shops.

I like the fact that each unit is an individually owned condo, as this means that every time you stay here it is a different experience and it’s interesting to see what each owner has done with their space and how they have decorated and furnished it - it can make an amazing difference. Unfortunately, this also means that after staying in a particularly nice unit you can be a bit disappointed with a ‘not so nice’ unit that may not have quite the same facilities and level of furnishings. All the units I have stayed in have been a reasonable standard, however, and I get the impression that the Hilton does insist that certain things must be provided, which is good.

Up until my most recent stay I have never experienced any of the problems that some of the other reviewers have experienced of noise, non-working air-conditioning, no Wi-Fi, but on my most recent trip I experienced all three! None of which were a huge problem, as the noise stopped eventually, it wasn’t too hot and I can live without Wi-Fi for a weekend, but it is something to bear in mind. The air-conditioning could have been quite a problem if it had been later on in the year.

For me the very best thing about these units is the balcony and view over the river and I always request, and have so far been lucky enough to get, a room on a high floor. To be honest I don’t think I would enjoy anything below level 5 anywhere near as much as a unit on a higher floor. Unfortunately, it seems to be somewhat of a lottery as to which floor you get – I have been told it is on a ‘first come, first served’ basis but I am not sure if this is based on how early you booked your room, how soon you checked in or a combination of both – either way I would definitely feel more comfortable booking here if I could have some sort of guarantee as to what floor I would be staying on at the time of booking. I really don’t see why this isn’t possible and, even though I will stay here again, it is a point that continues to annoy me.

I also prefer a covered balcony and requested one when checking in on my most recent stay. I was told that ‘none of the balconies are covered’ – which is flat out untrue! After a little discussion I did get what I wanted, but if anyone else is interested the less covered/more open balconies are at either end of the building - units ending in 01/02 and 11/12 I believe.

So, to summarize, I love the location and individuality of the units here and, as a general rule, everything you could possibly need is provided. The price is usually reasonable for what you get (it can go up out of all proportion if there is an event on) but there is the potential for noise (Wilmington is a lively town, especially at weekends) and other minor irritations.

I will continue to stay here, but think that the Hilton should pay more attention to maintenance of the air-conditioning in these units and try and devise some sort of system to allocate high floor rooms at the time of booking – although I realize they probably don’t do this as they know that people like myself would not book a room if they knew it was going to be on a lower floor.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank PooksNorthCarolina
WilmingtonHiltonGirl, Manager at Riverview Suites, responded to this reviewResponded May 24, 2012

Thank you for your review and thank you for your business at the Riverview Suites. We appreciate your feedback and comments. I understand your questions about room selection, so hope this answer will help you.

We want all guests to have the best view, however there are only a certain amount of unit owners that participate in our program, so not all units are available to stay in. Of the ones we manage, we do try to honor all requests, however sometimes it just can't be done. Because of the nature of the suites, we often have long term stays and rentals- which may prohibit us from honoring specific room requests. However we will do the best we can.

If you have a unit you like, we will do our best to get you in there. Thank you again for your comments. We look forward to your next visit!

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 4, 2012

The suites was amazing! great view, great location and very comfortable. I will definitely stay there again the next time I visit.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 11, 2012

Recently stayed at Riverview for a single night with my two children. Building was old, main entrance and lobby was downright creepy. Unit itself was very basic and functional, but certainly not worth the $$$ spent. On check-in I was asked if I wanted internet access - Hilton provides a cable box with a Cat5 line on it (circa 1980) - no wireless, and I wasn't looking to connect a laptop. Expected some traditional welcome book for local restaurants (atleast pizza delivery) - nothing. And although its a "security" building with little traffic, the pizza guy came banging right on the front door. Sure, it does have a great view of the river, battleship and coast guard - but don't expect to breathe fresh air on the balcony. Consider your other options first ...

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
WilmingtonHiltonGirl, Director of Sales at Riverview Suites, responded to this reviewResponded March 23, 2012

Thank you for your recent stay and feedback. We do try to give all guests a positive experience and if we fall short, we appreciate guests bringing it to our attention.

The Riverview Suites is building of individual condominium units and we manage some of those units. The doorway to the building is secure- however it's not just our guests are over there. There are homeowners as well. The Homeowners Association handles the all the physical aspects of the building, so I will forward your input to them. We are in the midst of working on the internet issue.

Thank you again for your review. It only helps to make us better.