“Terrible experience”

Ranked #30 of 44 Hotels in Wilmington
Wilmington, North Carolina
“Terrible experience”
Reviewed August 5, 2011

I live in Wilmington and booked a room at Riverview Suites for my family who was visiting over the 4th of July. When I booked the room, I specifically stated that I was booking it so that we could enjoy the annual fireworks from the balcony. When I arrived (at the HILTON across the street) I was given a room on the second floor. I questioned this and was told that that was all they had. The staff at the Hilton pretty much acted like they did not want to deal with the whole thing and were not at all helpful. So, my daughter and I went over to the suite to check it out. Not only was it on the second floor, but there was a palm tree right in front of the balcony! No view at all!

The rooms are okay. Except for the living room, all of the rooms are very dark because there are no windows. The bathroom was kind of run down and the linens were not nice at all. A HUGE problem while we were there were the elevators. The only way to get up to the rooms is via the elevator. The stairs lock from the inside when the door is closed. On July 4, the housekeeping staff filled the elevators with laundry and trash while they were cleaning and for HOURS and the elevators were not usable. It was absolutely ridiculous. Of course, then we were kind of glad to be on the second floor because my brother was able to climb up over the railing to the second floor and go around to the stairs and let us in! (which is actually a safety issue--you have to use your room key to access the elevators, but it is very easy to climb up to the second floor and access the entire building). People were lined up forever trying to get on the elevator and everyone was rightfully angry.

I will never book at this hotel again. I wanted to do something special for my whole family and it ended up being a bit of a nightmare. Just stay at the Hilton. It is less expensive and they probably won't treat you as badly if you are actually staying in their hotel.

Room Tip: INSIST on an upper room! Do not accept a room with an obstructed view.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank deathbycupcake
WilmingtonHiltonGirl, Director of Sales at Riverview Suites, responded to this review, October 20, 2011
Thank you for your review it is much appreciated. We do try to honor all special requests when we receive them, Sometimes on very busy nights (like the 4th of July) it is difficult to honor everything- especially when most guests are requesting high floors. We have addressed the response you got from the staff and have passed on the information about housekeeping. We appreciate your bringing it to our attention. It will only make us better for the next guest!

Thank you again!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Haddonfield, New Jersey
Reviewed August 2, 2011

We found the Riverview Suites to be the perfect place for a recent visit to Wilmington. Be aware of the following: 1) No where on the building does it say Riverview Suites, it is actually called Water Street Center 2) You check in at the Hilton which manages the property 3) The building is a mixture of full-time owner/occupants and short term visitors staying in individually owned units managed by the Hilton so you may encounter a noisy owner/occupant as we did when we stayed in unit 510 (ask for a different unit) 4) the Hilton's computer showed a rate $20 higher per night than what our confirmation showed - they honored ours of course. Hilton maintenance took care of noisy A/C unit right away.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Thank you for your review and recent stay. You are absolutely correct about the signage. Because it is a completely separate ownership, it is called "Water Street Center" . We instituted the "Riverview Suites" part to name the units we do manage.

I apologize you had a noise issue- We do have security monitor the units, specifically for this reason. We do appreciate you making us aware. Thanks again and we hope to see you soon!
Cape Coral, Florida
Reviewed June 1, 2011

After we checked in at the Hilton, we were directed to the covered parking area next to the building (our parking, unlike other reviewers, was free) We were given a room on the 9th floor...wow..when we walked in and saw the view, we were very happy! It was Memorial Day and directly in front of us was the USS North Carolina and there were lots of people on the deck along with a military band playing patriotic music. It's like we had our own private concert! Late in the afternoon my husband told me to come out to the balcony...directly in front of us were two tugboats guiding a huge tanker/freighter down the Cape Fear River...that was very cool!

The condo was great...it was very clean. There were large flat screen TV's in the LR and BR. The king bed had a memory foam type mattress...very comfortable. We didn't use the kitchen but the basics were there (plates, silverware, pans.) The bathroom was a good size and the towels were nice and thick...not like the see-through ones you see at other chain hotels.

We would recommend this property to anyone who wants to experience downtown Wilmington with a fantastic river view.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
What a great response! Could not have described the property any better! We hope you come stay with us again soon! The down town concert series runs throughout the summer and the Condos are a great place to kick back and enjoy it!
Floyd, Virginia
Reviewed March 29, 2011

I loved this hotel! It is in a perfect location for exploring Wilmington. The suite was spacious and clean. And....having a balcony with a direct view of the river and the battleship was priceless.
When I made my reservations I requested a high floor and the employee at the Hilton put me on the top floor. Hurray! She was efficient and very friendly, taking me outside the Hilton to show me where to park and how to enter the Riverview.
The suite had everything I needed. It had a full kitchen and even a washer and dryer. The living area was comfortable and the bathroom was fine, with nice towels and a good shower.
I had absolutely no problems with this hotel and would certainly recommend it for a single, a couple, or a small family.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
Thank you for a great review!
We hope you come see us again soon!
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed October 11, 2010

I really liked the Riverview Suites...the suites themselves are nicely decorated, clean, and comfortable. The only negative that I experienced is that the AC unit is located in the bedroom. As a very light sleeper, this did keep me up throughout the night, so much so that I slept the second night on the pull-out sofa in the living room!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
WilmingtonHiltonGirl, Director of Sales at Riverview Suites, responded to this review, February 23, 2011
Thank you for your recent stay! Riverview is a great place to stay and love when our guests enjoy it as much as we do!

We have alerted engineering to the noise issue with the air unit. Thank you for bringing it to our attention!

We look forward to your return!
Raleigh,N.C.
Reviewed August 4, 2010

Very nice suite. Right on the boardwalk and right in the middle of everything. Would definently reccomend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank browningwd
WilmingtonHiltonGirl, Director of Sales at Riverview Suites, responded to this review, September 4, 2010
Thank you for all the great comments. We look forward to you joining us again soon. Enjoy the Labor Day Holiday!
Hickory, North Carolina
Reviewed July 18, 2010

The hotel suite was perfect- we married on the Fourth- saw fireworks from our balcony- what a great way to share our love and marry!!! The hotel staff was wonderful! Wayne at the front desk went out of his way to bring his own newspaper from home. ( I asked for one to remember the day and the gift shop was out - Wayne came through! Thank you!!! ) The cleaniness of the hotel- I commend- Staff was great- Jonathon is also a great asset to the hotel- the staff cares and I would definitately suggest this hotel to everyone. And most, thank you Pam for such a great suite - my husband and I thank you so much- We were friends 22 years ago and now we are married! Steve and Dana

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your positive comments- I will make sure that we recognize all of the team members you mentioned for their wonderful service. Congratulations on the wedding, let us know when you comeback for your Anniversary! :o)