“It is horrible.” 2 of 5 bubbles

Americas Best Value Inn- Wilmington
Ranked #36 of 45 Hotels in Wilmington
“It is horrible.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2013

I waited 30 minutes while staff was talking just to be checked in. They are very unorganized. I was not pleased at all and will not be returning. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. It was not very good service and it was definitely not worth the price. I would maybe stay for 40 dollars a night.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank artaylor777

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Cornelius, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2013 via mobile

I would stay there again. Clean, accessible to the beach and downtown, and affordable. Staff friendly and security guards are a plus. They let us know when we left the lights on in the car. I recommend this gotwl for a place to sleep and get out of the sun. No luxuries, but comfortable.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank joshworsham
Durham, North Carolina
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2013

Horrible from start to finish.

CUSTOMER SERVICE: We were coming from about 2 hours away and ended up getting there a little early. Check in is 3pm, we got there at about 11am. They said the day before that we could ask if we could check in early when we got there. OK, fine. When we got there, they said our room wasn't ready. Fair enough, we said we would go to the beach and come back a little later.

We get back at 2pm - still not ready. The man says, "There's nothing we can do until 3." They claim that they're "so busy" meanwhile there are 5 cars in the parking lot and they knew we had been there asking since 11am. Logic would dictate that if you have customers waiting, you would take special care to get them squared away. So we wait in the parking lot for an hour in 95+ degree heat, with our dog.

SAFETY: While we're waiting, we are approached by a man - and I can't even make this up - who wandered out of the woods carrying a fishing pole and a SWORD, who then proceeded to ask us for money. Some long story about his wife and their vacation from hell, etc etc. Claimed he just "found the sword on the ground" Oh, okay, makes perfect sense - not. So at this point we're even more desperate for 3pm to roll around.

CHECK IN: 3pm rolls around - check in time, right? Wrong. These jerks kept us waiting for another 45 minutes, claiming that because we needed a "special room" (for the dog, claiming that the room was "easier to clean") it was taking longer, plus the fact that they were "SO busy" (though no one else had been waiting since 11am). Whatever.

While we were waiting outside one of the staff members came out of a smoke break and since we were sitting right there, made awkward, clumsy conversation laced with "I'm soooo sorry for the wait, we've been so busy!" Meanwhile, we had been there for hours and it wasn't until 3pm that a decent amount of cars actually started to show up. Once again, we get that 3pm is check in, but yet again - if you know people are waiting, wouldn't basic customer service logic tell you to get those people out of the heat and into their room ASAP? 45 minutes past check-in is absolutely unreasonable.

ROOM: We finally get to the room. It is a shoe-box with two beds packed into a space barely comfortable for one. The walls and ceilings are PAPER thin. We could hear every word the people next door, and outside, were saying - and because there happened to be a bunch of college kids staying next to us, that went on well into the night. If you're a light sleeper you're [--] at this place. Tiny TV with horrible static-y reception, sheets and blankets felt gross and "used" like they had a film on them or something. I never wanted a sleeping bag so bad in my life

SHOWER: I think I know what it must be like to take a shower in prison now. This "shower" is literally like bathing under a super-violent hose. It doesn't have spouts like a normal shower head - it's just one hole that shoots out and beats the crap out of your skin.

They have a sign out front that says "The Inn at Wilmington Welcomes You!" I really wanted to just climb up there with a sharpie and scrawl in "...BUT NOT REALLY."

Most outdated, disgusting, poorly run, poorly staffed place we've ever stayed in. Would not recommend for any reason.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank katie f
Gowanda, New York, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2013

We stayed for 3 nights. Place was very clean and neat. It was packed and very quiet. Office staff is VERY FRIENDLY and VERY HELPFUL. The location is perfect to get to anywhere. The neighborhood is a nice one as well.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2013

Stayed here and regretted it! We had so many issues here, I don't even know where to begin. First, I booked online. It clearly states that we can change credit card payment if necessary. When we got there, we told the woman at the front desk that we needed to change the form payment and she said that was fine. Went ahead and paid. When we got to the room, it was not very clean. The television was broken! We had to call and get a man to exchange the TV. The WiFi is horrible here. No connection and when you do get a connection it lasts for 5 minutes then disconnects! The toilet was overflowing so we had to call yet again to have someone fix it. Just horrible experience there. After leaving and heading home, I was notified by my bank that I was charged on the card that was NOT supposed to be charged. I called and spoke with Michelle and she simply said there was nothing she could do and that I had to call the people from online reservations. She was extremely rude and I asked to speak to a manager. She put me on hold for over 20 minutes. Then I decided to call the online reservation customer service line and explained my situation. The man told me it was the hotel who had to refund me because they charged me. I told him that is exactly what I had told the woman at the hotel. He decided to call the hotel for me and spoke to the manager. He told me everything was situated and that my card would be refunded per the manager there. It really upset me that the hotel worker was so rude and not willing to help. I should have read reviews online because I found more and more reviews of the same situation!!! Makes me sick to think of someone trying to scam other people like that when we just needed a place to stay while visiting and they treated us so rudely. Don't work in customer service if you do not want to be around people! I plan on finding out who owns the hotel and speaking with them about my experience because it was so stressful and disrespectful of the women working at the front desk. Never again.

1 Thank dmh6187
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2013

we stay here for two nights, we were told before we came both nights would be 85$ the next a.m we had to pay over 100$ We had many problems with the internet , never worked after being told it would be three times. dont leave anything in vechile important bc of theives walking thru parking lot. killied a spider on bed, tv is no good. rude desk persons.

1 Thank pissed off people
Greensboro, North Carolina
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2013

We arrived about 12:30am for a one-night stay. At check in, counter staff were very friendly and helpful. Got to our room to find big problems. Room was very dirty. Carpet had visible debris and had not been vacuumed. Large dead beetle or roach lying right in the middle of the floor. Other people's hair in amongst the bed sheets. Gross. We probably wouldn't have stayed, but it was already late & we were tired & we didn't know how readily we'd find a vacancy somewhere else. There were two of us (my wife and me), but we found only one wash cloth and one towel. No bathmat for the floor. Went back to the front desk to ask for more towels, and they didn't have any. They said they'd look around to find some and bring them to us. We waited about 20 minutes without hearing back from them, and finally called and told them we were just going to bed. Next morning, we just took turns with the one towel and left as early as we could. Would not return!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple