“Hotel nightmare”

Americas Best Value Inn- Wilmington
Ranked #35 of 45 Hotels in Wilmington
Reviewed September 3, 2012

These people who are writing "good" and "great" reviews must be confused. This can't the hotel they stayed at.
The hotel didn't have my reservation and instead of offering me a room or a phone - sent me outside to try to contact the company I made the reservation through. It was late on a Friday night and I could not contact anyone and after an hour and a half of calling my phone finally ran out of battery.
Meanwhile, sitting outside on the phone watching taxis arrive and depart with single men. They never went to the front counter but walked around the back of the hotel.
At least 5 different people came to the front desk to ask for a blanket or pillow etc, only to be told they didn't have any. At least 2 different couples came to complain about the cleanliness of the sheets or bathroom and were moved to different rooms. A handicapped man with one leg - rolled in on his wheelchair - after a fall in his room. The phone in his room didn't work and the girl at the front desk just rolled her eyes and let him use the phone to call for help.
By now, you probably think I am making this up.
Finally I asked Dianna at the front desk if she could just give me a room. She said she could and then proceeded to check in 3 people who walked in the door as I was standing there waiting. When I asked her why she wasn't helping me - she said "I don't have to check you in at all". Which was when I finally wised up and left for another hotel.
What a nightmare!!!

Room Tip: choose a different hotel!!!!!!! Not a particularly safe or family friendly location. Not the pretty...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Ann P

Reviewed August 29, 2012

I write, with regret, my first negative Tripadvisor review. And it’s a very negative review.

I arrived late in the evening with my wife and two small kids in a cab from the airport. The cab driver offered to wait until I had checked in so he could drive us directly to our room – he advised against walking around at night at that hotel.

Check in was a nightmare. The hotel attendant said he had no reservation for me. I presented the printout of my reservation thru Orbitz. And I explained that I had already paid for the room months ago. After many minutes of the attendant on the phone, looking in the computer, he said he could still find no evidence of a reservation for me, and I would I have to call Orbitz myself. I told him I had a cab meter running and small children I needed to get to bed, and that if he would give me a room key and take my credit card as security, I could get the kids to bed and then come back and straighten things out. He said he would still have to charge me – even though I had prepaid – for a room, even if it turned out that I had already paid for it. I was flabbergasted and pushed back, telling him I had never heard of anything so outrageous. He finally relented, taking my credit card, and promising it wouldn’t be charged so long as I was right that I had a prepaid reservation.

So, after I put my kids to bed, I returned, and Orbitz told him, quite matter of factly, that I had a reservation and that it was paid for and faxed confirmation to him. He promised me that I wouldnt be charged by the hotel for the room because I had paid for it already.

The room was horrible. It was tiny and it stunk, literally. Note the other reviewers who have pointed out the odor. I canceled the additional night we booked for a few days later. And from the people milling around outside, I didn’t feel at all safe. I slept terribly as a result.

Upon return home, what a surprise, I WAS charged – by the hotel – for the night, even though I had prepaid Orbitz for it. Did the hotel fix their error promptly? No. I called the hotel, but the woman on the phone said she couldn’t fix it but promised me a call back THAT DAY to resolve it. No call. I called back the next day, and got the desk attendant who “helped” me the night I was there. Could he fix it? No. And it was like pulling teeth to get him to agree to tell the General Manager that he remembered me and that my card should not have been charged. You'd think he might be a little more helpful given the screwup occurred on his watch and that he had promised me my card wouldnt be charged. Day 3: the general manager calls and fixes it, and apologizes for the delay in fixing it.

Personally, I don't care how cheap this hotel is because there isn't an amount of money low enough to make it worth it.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank usatraveler100
Reviewed August 24, 2012

Wilmington was only a stop-over point on our way to the Outer Banks, so the task was to find a place to rest with the right balance between a decent rate and a convenient location for the night out in old town (which made a promising impression on the local chamber’s web site). Judged from the Internet, the Inn at Wilmington seemed to fit the bill.

And so it was. Absolutely nothing special; neither good nor bad; just a run-of-the-mill motel, average for the rate of $80 in any way I can think of. Convenient location, swift check in, clean room, good night sleep, end of story.

Let me just add that Wilmington has indeed a beautiful and lively old town quarter which you should definitely visit, at least once in daylight for the sights and once at night for the nightlife. The Inn at Wilmington might be a generic motel easy to forget about, Wilmington itself however will stay in our minds positively and for much longer!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 13, 2012

At first I was hesitant to stay here due to the recent bad reviews. However, I'm glad I did! It's not glamorous, but I paid much cheaper than anywhere else so I wasn't expected anything "high-end." It was just an average hotel, free wifi, clean room and bedding. Front desk staff was very nice and helpful.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank KierstenN
Reviewed August 8, 2012

I just read these reviews and except for the mold smell which I did not experience they were generally spot on.
The lobby was a disaster. The experience before arriving was a prelude to the hotel's problem. A rude staff with a few exceptions, Crystal being one of them. She was most gracious when I called to complain about a rude person I had spoken to prior to arriving. Unfortunately, this rude person was the norm not the exception in this staff.When I checked in, the reservation I had made was for a smoking room, they got that wrong, and only had one substitute room available upstairs. Where are all these guests?? The next day, my partner was chided by the pool man for being inappropriately dressed on his way to the pool. He was wearing a speedo, perhaps a questionable fashion choice, but not the business of a hotel employee to comment on. Happily this man knows pools better then fashion. The pool was lovely and the high point of the two day stay. There was a wait to get the desk for anything such as a necessary plunger.
I thought the breakfast was a nice effort in a cramped space and I appreciate it.
This renovation must be extensive as the place has the markings of a seedy "no-tell" motel.

Bottom line: Except for an unusually high number of rude and unpleasant staff
members in every department, the hotel is still a bargain for the price. I found it average in every other area other then the people staffing it. They need renovating.

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank TRMoorehead
Reviewed August 8, 2012

The prices are great for the area. The pros and perks of this inn stop there. Pay more somewhere else to maintain your sanity.

The front desk staff was unfriendly and unhelpful. The room had an awful moldy stench and slimy carpets (I went through an entire bottle of "Febreze" extra strength on the carpets and bedspread). Don't walk barefoot. People were out in the parking lot until 3am drinking and in the morning, there were beer bottles all over the place, as well as room furniture they left outside their doors (not the inn's fault - just letting you know what type of courteous people this place attracts). The pool cleanliness was highly questionable. The breakfast was sub-par. The ice machine (only one I could find, located in the lobby) was broken. Key lock on outside of our door was coming loose (and this being an outdoor room on the lower parking lot level). Lastly, the room decorations are old, faded, and have holes in them (you can deal with that, but added to everything else, it just is sad).

Overall, did not feel welcome, safe, or even that we got our money's worth.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank ashevillehappycamper
Reviewed August 4, 2012

We had the misfortune of booking here when everything else was full. Our room was dirty, smelled like mold and had a huge dead roach on the floor. The mold smell was from the bathroom that had standing water in it leaking to the carpet. We tried to switch rooms but the place was overbooked so we had to leave (darn). If given no other option, sleep in your car... Or under a bridge.

Room Tip: Be safe and choose a major chain
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple