“Great for the money!”

Ranked #37 of 44 Hotels in Wilmington
Hampstead, North Carolina
“Great for the money!”
Reviewed August 13, 2012

At first I was hesitant to stay here due to the recent bad reviews. However, I'm glad I did! It's not glamorous, but I paid much cheaper than anywhere else so I wasn't expected anything "high-end." It was just an average hotel, free wifi, clean room and bedding. Front desk staff was very nice and helpful.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank KierstenN

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Reviewed August 8, 2012

I just read these reviews and except for the mold smell which I did not experience they were generally spot on.
The lobby was a disaster. The experience before arriving was a prelude to the hotel's problem. A rude staff with a few exceptions, Crystal being one of them. She was most gracious when I called to complain about a rude person I had spoken to prior to arriving. Unfortunately, this rude person was the norm not the exception in this staff.When I checked in, the reservation I had made was for a smoking room, they got that wrong, and only had one substitute room available upstairs. Where are all these guests?? The next day, my partner was chided by the pool man for being inappropriately dressed on his way to the pool. He was wearing a speedo, perhaps a questionable fashion choice, but not the business of a hotel employee to comment on. Happily this man knows pools better then fashion. The pool was lovely and the high point of the two day stay. There was a wait to get the desk for anything such as a necessary plunger.
I thought the breakfast was a nice effort in a cramped space and I appreciate it.
This renovation must be extensive as the place has the markings of a seedy "no-tell" motel.

Bottom line: Except for an unusually high number of rude and unpleasant staff
members in every department, the hotel is still a bargain for the price. I found it average in every other area other then the people staffing it. They need renovating.

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank TRMoorehead

Travelers are raving about these Wilmington hotels

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed August 8, 2012

The prices are great for the area. The pros and perks of this inn stop there. Pay more somewhere else to maintain your sanity.

The front desk staff was unfriendly and unhelpful. The room had an awful moldy stench and slimy carpets (I went through an entire bottle of "Febreze" extra strength on the carpets and bedspread). Don't walk barefoot. People were out in the parking lot until 3am drinking and in the morning, there were beer bottles all over the place, as well as room furniture they left outside their doors (not the inn's fault - just letting you know what type of courteous people this place attracts). The pool cleanliness was highly questionable. The breakfast was sub-par. The ice machine (only one I could find, located in the lobby) was broken. Key lock on outside of our door was coming loose (and this being an outdoor room on the lower parking lot level). Lastly, the room decorations are old, faded, and have holes in them (you can deal with that, but added to everything else, it just is sad).

Overall, did not feel welcome, safe, or even that we got our money's worth.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank ashevillehappycamper
Salisbury, North Carolina
Reviewed August 4, 2012

We had the misfortune of booking here when everything else was full. Our room was dirty, smelled like mold and had a huge dead roach on the floor. The mold smell was from the bathroom that had standing water in it leaking to the carpet. We tried to switch rooms but the place was overbooked so we had to leave (darn). If given no other option, sleep in your car... Or under a bridge.

Room Tip: Be safe and choose a major chain
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Amy W
Garner, North Carolina
Reviewed August 1, 2012

Had the misfortune of staying here on July 28, 2012 because the motel where I normally stay was $159 per nite. The room was small n the bathroom even smaller..seemed like a bathroom in a hallway.Out of 30 plus rooms they apparantly only had ONE iron that was checkd out b4 i had asked. Female clerk very rude. Would not recommend this place to anyone except ppl that dont need amenities or quality.

Room Tip: please drive a lil farther
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank cowgirlup4293
InnatWilmington, Manager at Americas Best Value Inn- Wilmington, responded to this review, August 2, 2012
Thank you for your comments. Unfortunately we can't change the size of the rooms, but we hope to one day serve you in the future. Thank you for sharing
Durham, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed July 23, 2012

The smell of the room was SO pungent and foul, I immediately went to check out and get my money back. But since I booked the room with a online company I didn't receive any money back.

I understand that's the risk you take when booking online, but no one should have to live in a place like this. That was ridiculous.

Room Tip: Ask to see and smell the room BEFORE you pay them.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Jamie P
InnatWilmington, General Manager at Americas Best Value Inn- Wilmington, responded to this review, August 2, 2012
Thank you for your comment. We will take your comments into consideration and hope to better accommodate you in the future.
Wilmington
Reviewed July 20, 2012

A very nice maintenance man, James, told me that there was a major renovation going on to classy up this dump. I told him: "You need to start at the sloppy front desk to the grungy sloppy room I was given."
Although I had prepaid to stay here for 4 days, renting it online, I checked out after 2. I couldn't take anymore my dull nothing room where the old TV didn't work, where there were only 3 towels, where I had one plastic trash can and where there were no usual toletries except to 2 tiny slivers of soap wrapped in plastic that needed to be cut away with a pair of nail scissors.
When I dialed zero to contact the front desk, the phone rang for l0 minutes. No one ever picked up. Same thing happened two more times during my miserable stay here. The people I saw on the landing looked hard, tough, smoking their ciggies and at night, several women wearing suspiciously high heels, tiny mini-skirts strolled out of their rooms, smoking, looking for some fun I guess. The front desk looked sloppy and casual and the "deluxe breakfast" was really hysterical. You found a straw basket of cellophane wrapped buns you buy at Walmart and coffee came out of a big thermos. A broken TV set in the corner. Wow, a great way to start your day. I moved into a Howard Johnson Express just down the street. Ah, what paradise to find a clean, comfortable room--cheaper than what I was paying for the flophouse I had been in--where the modest TV actually worked, there were the basic toletries in the bathroom and where I had a neat little fridge and microwave. Beware of the sign on the front of this flophouse: "Wilmington's HIdden Secret." IT's a secret better left unsaid. Stay here and experience what motel life on the bowery must feel like.

Room Tip: Inn at Wilmington is along an area bursting with motels. From this nightmare, I just traveled a few...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank IgetaroundWilmington
Thank you for your honest feedback. We certainly appreciate your business and are glad you chose to stay with us. We're very sorry your hotel experience did not exceed your expectations. The timing of your comment is ironic because we are in the process of giving our property a make over, starting in our lobby. Next time travel brings you back to the Wilmington area, we hope you give us another try.