“Just OK”

Dining options: Reservations
Wilmington, North Carolina
“Just OK”
Reviewed September 26, 2012

Rea d several reviews and thought we should give it a try. We did lunch. Bbeing Southernerns we gave the pulled pork and the brisket a try. The waitstaff was very good and when told it was our first trip did an excellent job of describing the "theme" of the restaurant. She came by before our meal was served and asked if we would like cornbread since we were both having BBQ. Nice touch though cornbread was dry and we were not offered a plate to put the bread on. Awkward and meant a few unsightly (no matter how hard we tried) crumbs on the table (remember it was dry).
Pork was fine, sweet potato chips and mac and cheese were good. Brisket was disappointedly fatty. Approximately one half of it was inedible. Was offered some addditional brisket which was a good response. I would not get it again. Ordered cole slaw which had a blue cheese dressing (good news) but was so salty I could not eat it.
Overall, not a bad place and I think they have the right idea. I would reccomend giving it a try and perhaps your experience will be a bit better. I will go back, but not for a while.

• Visited September 2012

Napa, California
“Wonderful and FRESH food - great service, everything terrific”
Reviewed September 22, 2012

We loved the food and service, atmosphere - great wines by the glass - everything was great. All of us commented how the food and ingredients were all 'fresh' - sounds crazy - but makes a difference. The service was great - from the reservation to the waiter - plus my Dad wanted to watch a game on the TV (Sat night) and the tried their best to accomodate him. We asked to modify a few dishes - which the did without worry. The dishes were all so fresh - it was terrific. Our server - Chris - was perfect. Wines by the glass - for a beach restaurant - having 40+ wines by the glass - unheard of - and a great selection. I'm really not sure why this place is not ranked #1 - it should be!!!

• Visited September 2012
Damascus, Maryland
“Will Go Back”
Reviewed August 24, 2012

My wife and I were excited to try the Kitchen. We had been to other Wilmington restaurants owned by the Circa group and they were great. In addition, because it was summer, we hoped for fresh local produce bursting with flavor. While our experience did not match our expectations (pretty high), we still had an enjoyable meal and plan to go back again.

The restaurant is very attractive even though it is in a strip mall. In fact, we felt transported from the mall and into a different place of style and grace. The service was attentive and the waiter was knowledgeable about the menu and the extensive list of beers.

I inquired about the "local tomato salad" but was told the tomatoes were not local. So, we went with my wife's appetizer choices: prosciutto and fig jam flatbread and fried green tomatoes. Both were good. The flatbread was "sweet and salty" and the tomatoes were breaded and cooked perfectly.

I had the short rib ravioli as an entree and my wife the NC pulled pork. The pulled pork was great! The ravioli not so much. While it had the rich beefy flavor and gravy that you would expect, the ravioli was overcooked -- like it was reheated in a microwave. The edges of the raviolli were hard and dry.

So while I was a little disappointed, my wife thought it was great! Since there were several other choices on the menu we want to try, we will go back -- but probably not until we cycle through some of the other Circa restaurants first.

Franklin, Tennessee
“Great food & exceptional service!”
Reviewed August 7, 2012

What a nice evening! I read comments about this place for a while but did not have the chance to experience it until now. The service was exceptional thanks to Lauren who took care of all our needs. She offered tasting to help us select wine & beer and knew the menu very well. The service is very attentive without being invasive. The food is very good and earthy, the brisquet Bbq fork tender, the short rib ravioli yes you read this one right was to die for. Overall a great dinner with friend. The beauty about this place is the freshness of the ingredients all localy grown and organic. The flavors are complexed and very well layered in harmony with the different textures. The portions are just right. The atmosphere is stylish but laidback so sitback and enjoy a great meal! We will definatly put this one on the short list

Wallace, North Carolina
“good food with a wide array of choices”
Reviewed August 2, 2012

Went to the kitchen last night for the first time, and we were very impressed. The menu is quite diverse with large appetizers, flatbreads, small plate and regular entrees. We started with the steak and blue cheese flatbread which is quite large and was well prepared, along with the lobster mac and cheese which was very good with large chunks of lobster meat. We then shared the watermelon and tuna carpaccio which was fresh and refreshing for a hot summer night. For dessert we had the peach cobbler as well as a taste of the strawberry cheese cake, both were top notch. Service was great, but it should have been as there weren't many diners last night. Hope they do well, as this is a first class restaurant, so let's support the kitchen and make it a regular for reasonably priced , eclectic dining in Wilmington.