“not what I expected”

Ranked #42 of 44 Hotels in Wilmington
Fayetteville, NC
“not what I expected”
Reviewed March 25, 2008

I stayed at the Howard Johnson for 2 nights on line I reserved a room with 2 beds and a kitchen. Once I got to the hotel the clerk gave me a key and I asked her if the room had a kitchen she was not sure so she told me to go look at the room and if it didnt have a kitchen she would give me one that did. I was kind of shocked because I thought at least the clerk should know which rooms had kitchens. I looked at the room and of course it did not have a kitchen so she gave me another room which I asked for non smoking. Keep in mind my ideal for a kitchen is a stove, refrigerator and sink. Well the room that she gave me that suspose to have a kitchen had a sink, microwave that was broke and a mini refrigerator. I was disappointed but I had 3 children with me so I stayed in the room. Again it was to be a non smoking room but the room smelt like a chain smoker was just in there. My non smoking room was next to a smoking room so I dont know if the smoke came through the cracks or not but I smelt it plain as day and I am a non smoker with real bad allergies. My complaints are I paid for a room with a kitchen didnt happen I asked for a non smoking room the sign said non smoking but I couldn't tell. I dont think that I would be visitng this hotel again.

Stayed March 2008

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed September 3, 2007

Super-friendly desk clerk couldn't make up for the fact that this is an older motel, and my room had been smoked in before.

A former smoker, my nose is more sensitive than most. One can't take a former smoking room & turn it into a non-smoking room simply by using a lot of air freshener.

It was clean - if you didn't look too closely at the corners.

Bed was comfortable - towels were VERY soft and smelled great!

Overall, I'd probably not stay here again.

• Liked — Price & convenience
  • Disliked — Lingering odor from smoking
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank wolfwoman1st
Durham, NC
Reviewed May 12, 2007

I note that the previous reviews were from 2005 and prior. Our experience was much better: the on-duty manager gave us a substantially better rate than we had booked online, the room was clean and well eqipped, the complimentary breakfast was entirely adequate, and the location was very convenient.

Stayed May 2007
1 Thank NCWorldtraveler53
Reviewed August 9, 2005

This place is an extreme rip off. We paid way too much for what we got. Our room was moldy and cabinets were falling off the hinges or the fake wood was cracked. The bathtub had mold in it and when i woke up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom a cockroach ran across the floor. The front of the building and lobby are presentable, but do not be fooled. The rooms are a mess. We had two rooms and both were disgusting. Stay far away from this dump.

Travelers are raving about these Wilmington hotels

Reviewed July 16, 2005

This place needs major renovations and did not meet our expectations of a Howard Johnson franchise. The carpet was badly stained, the toilet seat was badly stained, the room smelled, wall paper peeling. The washcloths were suppose to be white but were grey and the towles were a tad bigger than a handtowel and thin. The owner/manager was rude to people. The continental breakfast consisted of a box of frosted flakes, nasty looking peacan rolls and honeybuns. Need I say more.

• Stayed July 2005
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 14, 2003

My wifeand I made reservations at Howard Johnsons. We spent the day at the beach and then went to the Motel. We checked out the room. It was very musty, damaged walls and the toilet seat had excrement on it. It made my wife ill. They gave us ourmoney back and we drove two hours back to our house. We contacted general management via e-mail. We received a response in about 24 hours. But, all that they said was they werelooking in to it. Well, they have looked into it for a couple months now and I guess they saw what they wanted.Not on your life, will we ever go back. And doubtfull that we will ever chance Ho Jo again

6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed November 11, 2001

Horrid hotel! This property is badly in disrepair and doomed with mismanagement. There are MUCH finer hotels along the strip to accomodate you during your visit. No need to leave a bad taste in your mouth on this one!

9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member